Puck Daddy says GMTM's desire for Luke Richardson as coach

SDS

Bills12Sabres11, on 12 Feb 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Nolan is probably pissed that they traded Myers and Stafford. He will get to walk with 6 mil or so and concentrate on the Latvian team.

Why would he care about this?

Mainly a tongue in cheek response on my part but Nolan is loyal to his players and loves him some Myers. He was beside himself last year when Miller was traded even though he knew it was coming. Also, has anyone heard anything from Nolan yet?

What common ground? LaFontaine hired him and Murray kept him when he realized how bad we would be for a couple of years. I see no attachment and no front office job for Nolan after this season.

Common ground in regards to player selection, both like big gritty players who play hard. Granted most GMs and Coaches like that

Hodgson has gone from leading this team in points to being a healthy scratch. That's on Nolan.

I am not sure what Richardson would be like as a coach, I really don't know enough about him. But Murray has done enough to make me trust him and his judgement

Really ? None of this is on ol Hodgey eh ? The only thing Nolan can be blamed for is benching a player with no passion or desire to look within himself and play his way out of a season long funk. The lack of accountability that existed in this franchise went out the door with Regier.  

Really ? None of this is on ol Hodgey eh ? The only thing Nolan can be blamed for is benching a player with no passion or desire to look within himself and play his way out of a season long funk. The lack of accountability that existed in this franchise went out the door with Regier.  

Hodgson has a style that he plays and he isn't going to be able to just transform into a two-way menace like Toews. People used to complain that Vanek never looked like he was giving full effort. That's the way certain people play. It is on the coach for taking a top 2-line player and putting him on the 4th line to send a message. I never liked that philosophy.

Richardson's contract with Ottawa to coach Bingo is up at the end of the season.

When Murray was hired he was asked about Richardson and he said that he wasn't interested in taking his family away from Binghampton and stressed that he was under contract and had a job. That obviously changes things.

Hodgson has a style that he plays and he isn't going to be able to just transform into a two-way menace like Toews. People used to complain that Vanek never looked like he was giving full effort. That's the way certain people play. It is on the coach for taking a top 2-line player and putting him on the 4th line to send a message. I never liked that philosophy.

So we'll just let Cody float around on the first line without putting in the effort necessary to produce ? That sends a good message to the rest of the guys. He's paid to produce. No production=no value. He doesn't score and he doesn't do much when it comes to defensive responsibilities so what does he do for his money ?  

So we'll just let Cody float around on the first line without putting in the effort necessary to produce ? That sends a good message to the rest of the guys. He's paid to produce. No production=no value. He doesn't score and he doesn't do much when it comes to defensive responsibilities so what does he do for his money ? 

Cody just doesn't go out onto the ice and stand there. His effort does not emulate what the coach wants to see. He plays the way he has played the game his entire life. I am not saying I am a huge fan of Cody or think he is top line talent. But he is closer to that than the 4th line. I think the player should be benched to send a message before you put them on a line that doesn't make sense for them. If Ennis starts coasting, can you imagine how productive he would be between Kaleta and Ellis?

When Murray was hired he was asked about Richardson and he said that he wasn't interested in taking his family away from Binghampton and stressed that he was under contract and had a job. That obviously changes things.

I chuckled. Not that there's anything wrong with Binghamton.

From their interviews you get the distinct feeling that Tim Murray and Ted Nolan do not have a very collaborative relationship right now. Comments like "I'm not the coach" when asked about playing time, COHO, etc., from Murray, and comments like "well I'm just the coach, not management" basically tells you all you need to know. They do not agree with what the other is doing and are not in "lockstep" to borrow an overused phrase from the Bills' management. I like Nolan a ton as a person but I don't see any way he stays after the season ends and it may be the best thing for the organization. I think he is aware of this right now and I'm glad that he does not seem bitter about it. 

From their interviews you get the distinct feeling that Tim Murray and Ted Nolan do not have a very collaborative relationship right now. Comments like "I'm not the coach" when asked about playing time, COHO, etc., from Murray, and comments like "well I'm just the coach, not management" basically tells you all you need to know. They do not agree with what the other is doing and are not in "lockstep" to borrow an overused phrase from the Bills' management. I like Nolan a ton as a person but I don't see any way he stays after the season ends and it may be the best thing for the organization. I think he is aware of this right now and I'm glad that he does not seem bitter about it. 

I don't think Nolan, objectively, has ever had a collaborative relationship with a GM. 

Cody just doesn't go out onto the ice and stand there. His effort does not emulate what the coach wants to see. He plays the way he has played the game his entire life. I am not saying I am a huge fan of Cody or think he is top line talent. But he is closer to that than the 4th line. I think the player should be benched to send a message before you put them on a line that doesn't make sense for them. If Ennis starts coasting, can you imagine how productive he would be between Kaleta and Ellis?I

I understand what you're saying that Hodgson is a different type of player. Every team has them. The point is Ennis never coasts. You won't see him on the fourth line. If Ennis started taking shifts off Nolan would be well within his rights as coach to do whatever he felt necessary to shake him out of his funk. Let him skate on the fourth line. Maybe that'll do it. If not relegate him to the pressbox. But Ennis always puts in effort so we don't need to worry about him. Hodgson isn't producing so you try to jump start him. If they can unload this guy before the deadline I say do it. Hopefully moving forward we don't have too many players taking shifts off. 

I agree. I am thinking Nolan and Lafontaine were pawns put in place to appease the fans. Maybe Lafontaine figured out his real role, erupted, and left. Was there ever definitive explanation as to what happened with Lafontaine?

I was told Lafontaine wanted to be in charge of the GM, as in he had final say on trades and drafts and signings. It sounded like Murray would be GM in name more than in principle with Lafontaine pulling the strings.  Pegula said no and that was that. 

Not sure what really happened.

I understand what you're saying that Hodgson is a different type of player. Every team has them. The point is Ennis never coasts. You won't see him on the fourth line. If Ennis started taking shifts off Nolan would be well within his rights as coach to do whatever he felt necessary to shake him out of his funk. Let him skate on the fourth line. Maybe that'll do it. If not relegate him to the pressbox. But Ennis always puts in effort so we don't need to worry about him. Hodgson isn't producing so you try to jump start him. If they can unload this guy before the deadline I say do it. Hopefully moving forward we don't have too many players taking shifts off. 

In your opinion, was Vanek a player guilty of taking shifts off and coasting? I think a big part is perception. Maybe Vanek performed so you look the other way. I cannot speak for you. I recall Lindy attempting to turn Vanek into the best two-way winger in the league. That experiment lasted less than a month, if I recall correctly.

You can build a system and make the players adapt to it, or you can take your players and make a system that utilizes their strengths, and hides their weaknesses. I think Vancouver did that to Hodgson when they essentially only gave him offensive zone face-offs and hid his defense. Was that wrong, or smart?

I was happy to hear Rex Ryan say -- I don't care if we play a 4-3, 3-4, ... That's a coach that gets it, in my opinion.

Ovechkin gets criticized for checking out, but with his talent level, you find a way to work him into the system most effectively. I think whatever the Caps coaching staff did with him this year, it's working. So is it on Ovi finally playing a different game, or should the coaches be credited for involving his style into their system.

I was told Lafontaine wanted to be in charge of the GM, as in he had final say on trades and drafts and signings. It sounded like Murray would be GM in name more than in principle with Lafontaine pulling the strings.  Pegula said no and that was that. 

That makes sense to me. <<We are going to bring you in here. Wave and smile to the fans. But you have no control over hockey operations. Have fun.>>

In your opinion, was Vanek a player guilty of taking shifts off and coasting? I think a big part is perception. Maybe Vanek performed so you look the other way. I cannot speak for you. I recall Lindy attempting to turn Vanek into the best two-way winger in the league. That experiment lasted less than a month, if I recall correctly.

You can build a system and make the players adapt to it, or you can take your players and make a system that utilizes their strengths, and hides their weaknesses. I think Vancouver did that to Hodgson when they essentially only gave him offensive zone face-offs and hid his defense. Was that wrong, or smart?

I was happy to hear Rex Ryan say -- I don't care if we play a 4-3, 3-4, ... That's a coach that gets it, in my opinion.

Ovechkin gets criticized for checking out, but with his talent level, you find a way to work him into the system most effectively. I think whatever the Caps coaching staff did with him this year, it's working. So is it on Ovi finally playing a different game, or should the coaches be credited for involving his style into their system.

I think, Ovechkin may be proving this, that some of these guys you can't force into a system because they are so good so talented that you just let them play.  They don't need a system, they need the freedom to be themselves.

I think, Ovechkin may be proving this, that some of these guys you can't force into a system because they are so good so talented that you just let them play.  They don't need a system, they need the freedom to be themselves.

I agree. The tough part is drawing the line between uber-talented and replaceable. Did Dallas think Neal had the ability to be a 30 or 40-goal scorer when he left for Pittsburgh? It's all about who you're surrounded with and how you fit in with them. I don't think Hodgson is uber-talented, but he is being improperly utilized. He is in hockey purgatory. If he is the guy that can light up it alongside McEichel or Reinhart, are you crying because he doesn't aggressively check?

Also, "hopefully I will get to know" Kane.

OK, why would the role not be defined when Terry hired Pat? How could Pat be surprised he didn't wield any real power? Same question for Murray. Why would he take the job if he was going to be GM in name only?

Also, "hopefully I will get to know" Kane.

OK, why would the role not be defined when Terry hired Pat? How could Pat be surprised he didn't wield any real power? Same question for Murray. Why would he take the job if he was going to be GM in name only?

I still think Patty left because of the Tank

Lafontaine was offered the GM job but declined stating inexperience, instead choosing to take an advisory role in identifying and hiring the next GM who he hand picked according to reports. If he wanted a puppet he should have chosen someone else. Murray is nobody's puppet and I like that.

This is ridiculous. With all due respect. If they were "in lock step" then they would absolutely make it appear like the tank is intentional and there would be no plausible deniability.

There is no way, right now, Nolan and Murray can be seen as "being on the same page". It has to look like an internal cluster-f*#k for this to work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.