Dan Dunleavy calls

beerme1

I had some reservations with him at first even though I knew he was good.

He filled in nicely for RJ but last night for the game in Montreal I thought Dunleavy was outstanding. His voice elevation for the goal calls reminded me of Ted Darling's foghorn sound he SCORESSSssssss. I can't believe I said that but that's how good I think he's been.

I am really happy we have such a quality guy and should have him for a long time. And that's no easy feat coming in behind the legend RJ that is a tough spot for anyone and he has been superb and getting better with it.

The goal calls have been much better. I think he's been working hard to find a sound, a style, a gimmick even. It just wasn't cutting it before. What I hate is the non-goal call, goal call he's prone to, usually for the opposition. You hear goal-type cheering in the background (on the road; hell, sometimes at home depending on the opponent) and you have to read the tea leaves of what's he's saying to figure out what just happened. He's more than good enough to not be that far behind the play. I think he just wants to undersell the opponent scoring by not even honoring the moment with a "he scores!"

I've decided he's a good pick - a pro, with some natural emotion to his call.

He's following in the biggest footsteps in broadcasting and he's not trying too hard to emulate him, or be too different.

The team has given him very little to work with, but he is surviving nicely.

Edited by dudacek

The organ-eye-zay-shun did well to get Dunleavy -- he is a real pro and, I think, will grow into the gig nicely as the years progress. 

One thing he does that I love is make passing remarks -- often while action is ongoing -- about a player's background, hometown, pedigree, etc. "Now here's Jones, the Burlington, Ontario native, moving the puck to center ...."

The goal calls have been much better. I think he's been working hard to find a sound, a style, a gimmick even. It just wasn't cutting it before. What I hate is the non-goal call, goal call he's prone to, usually for the opposition. You hear goal-type cheering in the background (on the road; hell, sometimes at home depending on the opponent) and you have to read the tea leaves of what's he's saying to figure out what just happened. He's more than good enough to not be that far behind the play. I think he just wants to undersell the opponent scoring by not even honoring the moment with a "he scores!"

Something that RJ developed later in his career was a way of calling an opponent's goal in a noticeably punctuated way, while at the same time putting a certain stank of disfavor on it. Not a small trick.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Something that RJ developed later in his career was a way of calling an opponent's goal in a noticeably punctuated way, while at the same time putting a certain stank of disfavor on it. Not a small trick.

Not sure that came later. I have his Brad Park call in my mind, and I think it took him .2 seconds to say, "He scores. Brad Park. And it's all over."

carp had the best description of it. He thought RJ sounds almost quizzical when the other team scores, like there's a question mark after "score." I would add shocked. Shocked and quizzical. "Mrs. Murphy, we're sorry to tell you Johnny died at Pearl Harbor." "HE DIED?!" (Too soon?)

Rj always solved that problem with emphasis and a twinge of surprise in enemy goals, They score.

I like Dunleavy and I agree his calls are getting better. Maybe he's heard the whispers and changed it up a little because of that? Or maybe he's learning from the best RJ. Likely a combination of the two, either way the Sabres made a good hire for years to come.

Not sure that came later. I have his Brad Park call in my mind, and I think it took him .2 seconds to say, "He scores. Brad Park. And it's all over."

carp had the best description of it. He thought RJ sounds almost quizzical when the other team scores, like there's a question mark after "score." I would add shocked. Shocked and quizzical. "Mrs. Murphy, we're sorry to tell you Johnny died at Pearl Harbor." "HE DIED?!" (Too soon?)

I love that description.  It's pretty much dead on.

The Canadian accent drives me nuts.   Buffalo is not a canadian team.... and his "Scoooorressss" is like nails on a chalk board.    Luckily I live out of town with center ice I watch the opposition broadcast unless RJ is on.

I like Dan.  I don't love Dan, at least yet.

But I'd take him and Rayzor singing nothing but ###### love songs before I listen to any the following television PBP announcers:

Jack Edwards

John Forslund

Jeff Rimer

Steve Goldstein

Howie Rose

Sam Rosen

Jim Jackson

Rick Peckham

John Ahlers

Matt McConnell

Ralph Strangis

Bob Miller (this is a close one)

Anthony LaPanta

John Kelly

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The Canadian accent drives me nuts.   Buffalo is not a canadian team.... and his "Scoooorressss" is like nails on a chalk board.    Luckily I live out of town with center ice I watch the opposition broadcast unless RJ is on.

I dunno, I kind of view Buffalo as a Canadian city... at least in a cultural sense.  It really is a border town, with one foot in each country.

I like Dan.  I don't love Dan, at least yet.

But I'd take him and Rayzor singing nothing but ###### love songs before I listen to any the following television PBP announcers:

Jack Edwards

John Forslund

Jeff Rimer

Steve Goldstein

Howie Rose

Sam Rosen

Jim Jackson

Rick Peckham

John Ahlers

Matt McConnell

Ralph Strangis

Bob Miller (this is a close one)

Anthony LaPanta

John Kelly

I rather like Ralph Strangis.  He calls it like a horse race (like RJ in his prime) and has the right amount of emotion.  He's the announcer for the home team where I live.  And Daryl Reaugh is a great color man.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.