Grantland: 10 Facts about the 1988-89 Buffalo Sabres

PASabreFan

Good stuff. Maybe we should pick another season and see how many interesting facts/angles we can come up with together.

http://grantland.com...-buffalo-sabres

The bit about how they had the three top point scorers among non-HOF players was pretty interesting. How do you luck your way into finding that stat? Of course, by the time Selanne and Jagr get in, Joe Thornton will have passed possibly all three of them on the list. I wonder how his HOF candidacy will be viewed.

I was about to bring up a few years later, yesterday.

For all the McEichel BS talk.......the Sabres had a guy on their team with plenty left in the tank, who was considered the "Next Gretzky".....Dale Hawerchuk.

On that same team, along with a 28 year old Hawerchuk, they had a 26 year old Pat LaFontaine, a 22 year old Alex Mogilny, and a 28 year old Dave Andreychuk.

Hasek joined them all for a short stint and Anderychuk got moved for Fuhr.

THEY NEVER MADE IT OUT OF THE 2ND ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS............

Good luck Tankers.

For all the McEichel BS talk.......the Sabres had a guy on their team with plenty left in the tank, who was considered the "Next Gretzky".....Dale Hawerchuk.

On that same team, along with a 28 year old Hawerchuk, they had a 26 year old Pat LaFontaine, a 22 year old Alex Mogilny, and a 28 year old Dave Andreychuk.

Good luck Tankers.

That matchup in 93 with Montreal would have been really interesting without the injuries. Four 4-3 losses, 3 in OT, that's the big one from that era that really stings.

Good luck Tankers.

... because Muckler was too obtuse to see what he had in Hasek and was too myopic to see beyond his love of all things Euler. Imagine what that '93 team could have done had they converted Puppa-Andreychuk-Jonnson into something other than another goalie; or had he, at minimum, played the healthy goalie vs Moe-ray-all rather than the one w/ the injured leg.

Good luck Tankers.

And yet the only reason that tidbit is even remotely interesting is that they had the talent and therefore were capable of going much farther. Take away the top shelf talent and a second round exit is to be expected, with no hope of going any further.

LaFontaine in his prime

Hawerchuck in his prime

Mogilny entering his prime

Andreychuk in his prime

2 HOF goalies

Stanley Cup winning GM and coach

McDavid at 18

Moulson in his prime

Girgensons entering his prime

Ennis in his prime

Enroth and Neuvirth

Tim Murray

Good luck Tankers......

You can't count 2nd HoF goalie & Andreychuk both as 1 left as part of package for the other. Also, Sather was GM in Edmonton, not myopic John.

You can't count 2nd HoF goalie & Andreychuk both as 1 left as part of package for the other. Also, Sather was GM in Edmonton, not myopic John.

So it goes from 100 vs 30 to 94 vs 30?

I accounted for Andreychuk getting traded......and Muckler was GM in Edmonton, no? He was on the player selection crew, that's for sure.

Pfff. Any path forward would require a dose of fair fortune in order to yield success. The question is how much luck you'll need to get to where you want to be. Getting several elite prospects will increase the odds of success. That's all.

Well said, but I appreciate some GoDD non-believer preaching. It's something to balance out JeremyWGR and his crew, who seem to be days away from suggesting the best parade route.

... because Muckler was too obtuse to see what he had in Hasek and was too myopic to see beyond his love of all things Euler. Imagine what that '93 team could have done had they converted Puppa-Andreychuk-Jonnson into something other than another goalie; or had he, at minimum, played the healthy goalie vs Moe-ray-all rather than the one w/ the injured leg.

Who pulled the trigger on that trade? Meehan was still the GM and is quoted in news stories about the trade. But Muckler was coach and director of hockey ops. I think Meehan was concentrating on the business side of things and probably had been since Muckler's arrival for the 91-92 season as director of hockey ops only.

Pfff. Any path forward would require a dose of fair fortune in order to yield success. The question is how much luck you'll need to get to where you want to be. Getting several elite prospects will increase the odds of success. That's all.

That and there seems to be this crazy idea out there that the people who want McEichel expects the team to add just that one single player and then everything is set. I doubt that there is a single person out there who wants/expects that. I don't find it the least bit crazy to want your superstar AND to put together a surrounding cast around him.

Well said, but I appreciate some GoDD non-believer preaching. It's something to balance out JeremyWGR and his crew, who seem to be days away from suggesting the best parade route.

Fair deuce. White's specific brand of pro-tank preaching is enough to make anyone question the wisdom of what GM TM is doing.

In any case: At this point, we are committed to increasing the odds of being really good.

And, hey. Things could be worse. We could be the Leafs. Their tank is set to occur in advance of an off-season where they might finish last but draft as low as fourth overall.

Edited by That Aud Smell

So it goes from 100 vs 30 to 94 vs 30?

I accounted for Andreychuk getting traded......and Muckler was GM in Edmonton, no? He was on the player selection crew, that's for sure.

No, Muckler was never GM in Edmonton, which is why he was willing to come to Buffalo knowing he wouldn't be GM in year 1. Edmonton was always Sather's team.

Who pulled the trigger on that trade? Meehan was still the GM and is quoted in news stories about the trade. But Muckler was coach and director of hockey ops. I think Meehan was concentrating on the business side of things and probably had been since Muckler's arrival for the 91-92 season as director of hockey ops only.

EVERY trade, signing, or attempted signing for an Euler, Ex-Euler, or contemplated Euler was John's baby. He LOVED him some Eulers which is why Buffalo was Edmonton East (minus the hardware) in the early '90's.

No, Muckler was never GM in Edmonton, which is why he was willing to come to Buffalo knowing he wouldn't be GM in year 1. Edmonton was always Sather's team.

EVERY trade, signing, or attempted signing for an Euler, Ex-Euler, or contemplated Euler was John's baby. He LOVED him some Eulers which is why Buffalo was Edmonton East (minus the hardware) in the early '90's.

You are correct. I thought he had a say in their drafting and such.....maybe I'm just getting old......

We should start a "who wore it better?" thread with helmets. I was always partial to Charlie Huddy and his lid crafted out of a cardboard box of Molson Golden.

Pierre Turgeon deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. 1300 career games, better than a point a game player over his career.

31st all-time in career scoring. More career points that Gilbert Perreault.

If Perreault ever got traded to the Habs at the end of his career like he wanted to, he might still be playing. Instead, he retired mid-season after scoring about a point a game, IMO in disgust.

Edited by 716

You are correct. I thought he had a say in their drafting and such.....maybe I'm just getting old......

We should start a "who wore it better?" thread with helmets. I was always partial to Charlie Huddy and his lid crafted out of a cardboard box of Molson Golden.

There's so much potential in this idea, especially if we include other sports. Kelso and John Olerud get to join in that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.