Grantland: 10 Facts about the 1988-89 Buffalo Sabres

PASabreFan

Butch Goring wins the helmet competition.

He had that helmet since he was a kid or something? Did he paint it every game for home and away???

Look! It was a different color for home and away!

http://www.google.com/search?q=butch+goring&safe=active&client=firefox-a&hs=ZL0&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ENi_VPi4GI_4yQSpq4CIBQ&ved=0CAUQ_AU&surl=1

He had that helmet since he was a kid or something? Did he paint it every game for home and away???

Look! It was a different color for home and away!

http://www.google.co...0CAUQ_AU&surl=1

Goring had two helmets, one for home games, and one for the road. In Los Angeles, the Kings' home uniforms were gold, the road was purple. On Long Island, the Islanders wore white home uniforms and blue road jerseys. In Boston, the colors were white at home and black on the road, and for Edmonton's minor-league franchise, there was white and a different shade of blue than the Islanders color on the road. That meant the helmets had to undergo color changes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=370718

I was about to bring up a few years later, yesterday.

For all the McEichel BS talk.......the Sabres had a guy on their team with plenty left in the tank, who was considered the "Next Gretzky".....Dale Hawerchuk.

On that same team, along with a 28 year old Hawerchuk, they had a 26 year old Pat LaFontaine, a 22 year old Alex Mogilny, and a 28 year old Dave Andreychuk.

Hasek joined them all for a short stint and Anderychuk got moved for Fuhr.

THEY NEVER MADE IT OUT OF THE 2ND ROUND OF THE PLAYOFFS............

Good luck Tankers.

What makes that '92-'93 team even stranger was that their supporting cast was pretty darn solid. A young Audette, young May, Presley, Hannan, Wood, Bodger, Carney, Khmylev, Sweeney....not world beaters, but not fringe AHLers either. Its hard to believe we lost seven in a row to end the season that year.

What makes that '92-'93 team even stranger was that their supporting cast was pretty darn solid. A young Audette, young May, Presley, Hannan, Wood, Bodger, Carney, Khmylev, Sweeney....not world beaters, but not fringe AHLers either. Its hard to believe we lost seven in a row to end the season that year.

If nothing else, it was good to see the May Day clip for the first time in a while. It is often forgotten just how good of a play LaFontaine made on that goal.

If nothing else, it was good to see the May Day clip for the first time in a while. It is often forgotten just how good of a play LaFontaine made on that goal.

That's the part that gets me and it's rarely mentioned, he's on his side and wings a pretty damn good pass to May. And May deked Borque out of his skates and made the goalie look silly. Amazing.

It also is often forgotten which goalie skated up to him after the goal was scored. Too bad that same one didn't play against the Habs.

It also is often forgotten which goalie skated up to him after the goal was scored. Too bad that same one didn't play against the Habs.

That and the LaFontaine pass are actually the first things that come to mind when I hear the "May Day" call.... Ok, me attempting to subtly taunt Ray Bourque in a bar back in 2006 also jumps into my mind right away too.

Forget the fact that the 93 team was fun as hell to watch and that Mogilny, LaFontaine and Fuhr were all hurt vs. Montreal, and that Montreal was stacked to the gills and that you lost 4 1 goal games with a goaltender on the bench who would have a 1.95 GAA and 7 SOs the following season, yeah you have a point.

That team was as good as any we've had, certainly in my lifetime, and deserves the injury break we seem to offer the team that lost to Carolina. Whatever you do don't assemble a team that can generate 335 goals in a season with 3 players combining to score more goals than our entire team did last year. Yes, that would be foolish.

I'm not knocking the team.

I'm saying, you had "The Next Gretzky", who turned out to be pretty slick and a HoF'r in his prime, playing #2 center. You had a #1 center who was probably the top player in the game at the time, or darn close. A big forward who scored 30 in his sleep. A dynamic winger who could skate and score at will. A goalie stable that has more trophies and jewelry than Oscar night......and they still never came close to winning a Cup.

I am saying, look at the "top talent" on the Sabres, see how far away they are, and even adding McDavid, you are lightyears away. There is no magic switch.

Like Hawerchuk said.....even the role players on those teams were good. You had a stable of 3rd/4th line forwards who could kill every penalty, and still manage to pot 12-25 goals each.

I loved that era. I hate this era, and the dysfunctional thinking process that has glorified cementing a losing culture for a 20% chance at "The Next Hawerchuk"........

I'm saying, you had "The Next Gretzky", who turned out to be pretty slick and a HoF'r in his prime, playing #2 center. You had a #1 center who was probably the top player in the game at the time, or darn close. A big forward who scored 30 in his sleep. A dynamic winger who could skate and score at will. A goalie stable that has more trophies and jewelry than Oscar night......and they still never came close to winning a Cup.

I am saying, look at the "top talent" on the Sabres, see how far away they are, and even adding McDavid, you are lightyears away. There is no magic switch.

Like Hawerchuk said.....even the role players on those teams were good. You had a stable of 3rd/4th line forwards who could kill every penalty, and still manage to pot 12-25 goals each.

I loved that era. I hate this era, and the dysfunctional thinking process that has glorified cementing a losing culture for a 20% chance at "The Next Hawerchuk"........

Solid post. I love Hawerchuk. Why not raise his number? That's an aside, though. New Guy has got a long way to go before he can be considered "The Next Hawerchuk."

I loved that era too. We were going all out for the big win, and just got a smidge unlucky. I wish I weren't shackled to this reality: that we are balls-out tanking and hoping for a miracle.

How could anyone not hate this era? It is the nadir of Buffalo Sabres hockey.

The thing is, once the 2013 trade deadline was passed there was no turning back.

Pegula is all in on the tank.

All we can do is hope it gives us the ammunition to get back in the hunt and some hockey players worh watching again.

Edited by dudacek

So when exactly was Dale Hawerchuk billed as the next Gretzky? He's two years younger. Hyperbole is pretty fun though.

Go drive around the block a few times so you have ammunition for 20 complaints in tomorrow's thread......

If you research at your job as well as you do hockey, we're all going to die of the sugar.......

Stephane Richer killed us that series.

I remember the Sabres being without LaFontaine and Mogilny, and Muckler insisting on playing an obviously gimpy Fuhr instead of Hasek. But what I mostly remember is Dale Hawerchuk single-handedly trying to win that series on sure will. He put that team on his shoulders and played with a fire that I have only seen a few other times - mainly, Doug Gilmour when he took the Leafs to the Conference Finals.

I remember Keith Carney coming into the Stereo Advantage in the summer, and when I asked him about how amazing Hawerchuk was in that series - he was in complete agreement and you can tell how much he admired Dale.

And not to derail the thread, but when I read about Butch Goring, I looked it up and found this article about the 10 Ugliest Hockey Helmets.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/09/29/hockeys-16-ugliest-helmets/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.