To Tank or Not To Tank, that is the Question?

LGR4GM

Tanking  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tim Murray do all he can to have this team finish last?

• Yes, he should sell off UFA's and other assets so the team bottoms out
    • No, he should keep his mind open to trading but doesn't need to have a fire sale
    • Libbala Libbala Timmay, or I don't know

So we have had a spirited debate over what the Sabres should do regarding the tank? Should we finish last or finish wherever and worry about it later?

I personally think that since our current ascension is due to our younger players stepping up to allow them to take us wherever. That being said, selling off assets like Stewart etc... is definitely something that should happen.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/no-one-s-tanking-for-connor-mcdavid--according-to-nhl-170625268.html

"Tanking happens. The NHL is aware of it. The question will eventually morph from “who’s tanking?” to “is there virtue in this approach to team building?” We imagine that question will be answered by the Buffalo Sabres in 3-5 years."

Edited by LGR4GM

name the Canes starting defense and goaltender for their cup team.

Gerber, Kaberle, Commodore, Hedican, Ward andddddd not sure. I went to three or four Canes games down there in Carolina that year. Met the whole team and Laviolette. Ward took over the playoffs that year, though. Was his "coming out" party.

Went to a game the next season wearing Sabres gear. It was the last home game of the season for them and, if I remember correctly, they were eliminated from the playoffs the night before. Ray Whitney, Laviolette and Chad LaRose came up in the autograph line and all said they thought we were a lock to win it all that year. LaViolette joked that we should've won it the year before, too.

Edited by Tank

Gerber, Kaberle, Commodore, Hedican, Ward andddddd not sure. I went to three or four Canes games down there in Carolina that year. Met the whole team and Laviolette. Ward took over the playoffs that year, though. Was his "coming out" party.

Went to a game the next season wearing Sabres gear. It was the last home game of the season for them and, if I remember correctly, they were eliminated from the playoffs the night before. Ray Whitney, Laviolette and Chad LaRose came up in the autograph line and all said they thought we were a lock to win it all that year. LaViolette joked that we should've won it the year before, too.

No their cup team in a few years after they draft McDavid.

No their cup team in a few years after they draft McDavid.

Oh. Same group. :D

But in all seriousness -- your argument is lame. They'll figure it out. When you get a superstar everything else figures itself out. Just like getting a star QB.

They could extend Sekers, then they hav Faulk and Fleury who are looking like long-term studs. Ryan Murphy could be another one of their starting D. We're not the only team that will have a good defense in five years.

Edited by Tank

But in all seriousness -- your argument is lame. They'll figure it out. When you get a superstar everything else figures itself out. Just like getting a star QB.

They could extend Sekers, then they hav Faulk and Fleury who are looking like long-term studs. Ryan Murphy could be another one of their starting D. We're not the only team that will have a good defense in five years.

The Capitals offer a fair warning though. It is possible to screw it up.

Really... did Pittsburgh figure it out? They still don't have anything close to a competent defense core and have but one cup win. Every single other team that has won, has had elite level defense. Something the Sabres are putting in place.

I will bet you money the Sabres win a cup before Carolina even if Carolina drafts Connor McDavid.

Really... did Pittsburgh figure it out? They still don't have anything close to a competent defense core and have but one cup win. Every single other team that has won, has had elite level defense. Something the Sabres are putting in place.

I will bet you money the Sabres win a cup before Carolina even if Carolina drafts Connor McDavid.

I was thinking about this as an epic-level long-term group bet between the tanks and the jets (er, anti-tanks). Tanks bet wings and beer that the teams that get McDavid or Eichel win the cup before the Sabres do, the anti-tanks bet the Sabres win first. Meet up somewhere, and the losing side splits the bill. Bet is null if Sabres get one or the other.

You're just throwing ###### at a wall. That last statement is something nobody could definitively say either way... We don't know much about what's going to happen that far down the road.

And Pittsburgh got a cup. They've figured it out considering they're consistently a contender...

Washington is the right defense, but they're one team and terribly managed.

You're just throwing ###### at a wall. That last statement is something nobody could definitively say either way... We don't know much about what's going to happen that far down the road.

And Pittsburgh got a cup. They've figured it out considering they're consistently a contender...

Washington is the right defense, but they're one team and terribly managed.

You think Pittsburgh is a contender? Now that amuses me. I am not throwing anything anywhere. Pittsburgh could have multiple cups but they just have the one. Why? The lack consistent post season gt and have a mediocre defense core. They failed for years to draft good players in the rounds 1-2 and relied solely on their shiny toys (Malkin/Crosby) to take them to the promise land. You don't have to have the greatest player on the planet to win a cup. The Sabres roster should be plenty talented with or without McDavid/Eichel. Again I am happy if we get them but don't think it is the be all end all.

You think Pittsburgh is a contender? Now that amuses me. I am not throwing anything anywhere. Pittsburgh could have multiple cups but they just have the one. Why? The lack consistent post season gt and have a mediocre defense core. They failed for years to draft good players in the rounds 1-2 and relied solely on their shiny toys (Malkin/Crosby) to take them to the promise land. You don't have to have the greatest player on the planet to win a cup. The Sabres roster should be plenty talented with or without McDavid/Eichel. Again I am happy if we get them but don't think it is the be all end all.

Pittsburgh is a contender. If that "amuses" you it's because you're trying too hard to believe your own argument.

Pittsburgh is a contender. If that "amuses" you it's because you're trying too hard to believe your own argument.

Alright you smug little... individual.

let us start with the year after they won the cup:

2010: Lost Conference Semifinals

2011: Lost Conference Quarterfinals

2012: Lost Conference Quaterfinals

2013; Lost Conference Finals

2014: Lost Conference Semifinals

They have not been a cup contender since they won it and have only graced the Eastern Conference Finals once in the last 5 years. The are a perpetual playoff team. This year I would not count them as cup contenders. They continue to lack GT, Depth, and Defense.

I was thinking about this as an epic-level long-term group bet between the tanks and the jets (er, anti-tanks). Tanks bet wings and beer that the teams that get McDavid or Eichel win the cup before the Sabres do, the anti-tanks bet the Sabres win first. Meet up somewhere, and the losing side splits the bill. Bet is null if Sabres get one or the other.

I would say Edmonton is a null as well. But Carolina, Zona everyone else (non-playoff lottery teams) is a go. I'm in. If the jets win (I don't like the reference to the AFC East football squad) the payoff should be the day of or after the parade. If the Fury wins, it should be the night of the draft that year. Planning purposes.

name the Canes starting defense and goaltender for their cup team.

If this was say 3 years before the Canes won their 05-06 Cup, in terms of goaltender, you would be asking the same thing. Cam Ward was a rookie the year they won and sure wasn't their number 1 goaltender.

At this point I'm mainly just watching hockey to watch hockey..... I don't think our team is trying to fail on purpose and I'm not even close to being a mind reader of our new GM, I mean who the hell knows what he is thinking or wants..... If we slide up towards the top of the CHL then my mind shifts with tank..... If we keep winning, my mind wants to keep the magic going. Sure McEichel sounds wonderful, and I realize hockey vs football are different, but I know how some top picks have panned out in other leagues, who is to say that these guys make a team an instant contender. I just want buffalo teams to collectively get their @sses together

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.