Bettman Duff Interview

Taro T

Lol @ all the Bettman bashing. He did help keep the Sabres in Buffalo. We'd be watching an AHL team and the Sabres would be in Hamilton or Seattle, etc if not for his commitment to keep the team afloat. But that's gratitude for you.

Back to his comments I think the Sabres are guaranteed an outdoor game next season, especially considering how many they have each year. My money would be Toronto as the opponent.

Then again if the Sabres are still playing like they are now I would avoid any and all stadium games. Why force 73K to watch this swill?

Lol @ all the Bettman bashing. He did help keep the Sabres in Buffalo. We'd be watching an AHL team and the Sabres would be in Hamilton or Seattle, etc if not for his commitment to keep the team afloat. But that's gratitude for you.

Back to his comments I think the Sabres are guaranteed an outdoor game next season, especially considering how many they have each year. My money would be Toronto as the opponent.

Then again if the Sabres are still playing like they are now I would avoid any and all stadium games. Why force 73K to watch this swill?

Phoenix and Florida(Panthers) continue to still have teams despite poor attendance and ownership issues. You really think the Sabres were ever going to be moved? I think not.

Phoenix and Florida(Panthers) continue to still have teams despite poor attendance and ownership issues. You really think the Sabres were ever going to be moved? I think not.

You're making my point. Bettman does not want to see any teams relocate. Another commissioner might want to just cut-and-run to greener (as in $$$) pastures.

You're making my point. Bettman does not want to see any teams relocate. Another commissioner might want to just cut-and-run to greener (as in $$$) pastures.

My point is that the Sabres being moved was never going to happen, and it had nothing to do with Bettman doing this great favor to the fans of Buffalo.

My point is that the Sabres being moved was never going to happen, and it had nothing to do with Bettman doing this great favor to the fans of Buffalo.

You are offering no evidence whatsoever to your claim. You act like it's self-evident, saying the Sabres were never in danger of moving because they were never in danger of moving. :blink: Why weren't they going to move? Because Bettman did all he could to prop them up. The fact he did it in other markets doesn't alter the fact that he did it here. A less committed commissioner, or one who saw sexier markets that wanted a team, might have let them go.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You're argument is the Sabres were never in danger of moving because they were never in danger of moving. :blink: I'm saying that was because Bettman did all he could to prop them up. The fact he did it in other markets doesn't alter the fact that he did it here. A less committed commissioner might have let them go.

The Sabres were never going to move. Feel free to fellate Bettman if you must. He deserves none of our praise.

You are offering no evidence whatsoever to your claim. You act like it's self-evident, saying the Sabres were never in danger of moving because they were never in danger of moving. :blink: Why weren't they going to move? Because Bettman did all he could to prop them up. The fact he did it in other markets doesn't alter the fact that he did it here. A less committed commissioner, or one who saw sexier markets that wanted a team, might have let them go.

They were always a viable market. The Sabres financial woes were in absolutely no way similar to Atlanta, Glendale, Sunrise, or any of the other "propped up" markets. They were in no more real danger of relocation than Pittsburgh. Bettmen himself said he never had a doubt in today's interview.

Interestingly, he also emphatically said there are no teams in the NHL that are currently tanking on purpose and that none of the Lottery changes were an effort to discourage the practice. While this is an obvious lie, the sound bite will make for interesting sports radio theatre should the league attempt to punish any team that chooses to lose its last 30 games this season.

They were always a viable market. The Sabres financial woes were in absolutely no way similar to Atlanta, Glendale, Sunrise, or any of the other "propped up" markets. They were in no more real danger of relocation than Pittsburgh. Bettmen himself said he never had a doubt in today's interview.

Interestingly, he also emphatically said there are no teams in the NHL that are currently tanking on purpose and that none of the Lottery changes were an effort to discourage the practice. While this is an obvious lie, the sound bite will make for interesting sports radio theatre should the league attempt to punish any team that chooses to lose its last 30 games this season.

It's much more effective when a team chooses to lose it's first 30 games. Far less obvious. The Sabres are crafty that way.

GO SABRES!!!

Obviously confidence runs higher here than on the Bills board. I think the Sabres were a lot more vulnerable than you all realize back then, long before we heard of Pegula or Harborcenter. Buffalo was a market with a half-empty papered arena.

Also love how taking an opposing view to the SabreSpace coffee klatch is seen as "fellating the commish."

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Obviously confidence runs higher here than on the Bills board. I think the Sabres were a lot more vulnerable than you all realize back then, long before we heard of Pegula or Harborcenter. Buffalo was a market with a half-empty papered arena.

Also love how taking an opposing view to the SabreSpace coffee klatch is seen as "fellating the commish."

So, not a good band name?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.