Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Huh? It's been a long day and ice had a couple but the second to last team has won the lottery the last two years.

Last year, as in previous years, there was  55% chance that one of the bottom three teams would get the first pick.  In 2015, a transition year, that figure drops to 45%.  So it is now more likely than not that a team outside the bottom 3 will get McDavid, which was not true before.

Last year, as in previous years, there was  55% chance that one of the bottom three teams would get the first pick.  In 2015, a transition year, that figure drops to 45%.  So it is now more likely than not that a team outside the bottom 3 will get McDavid, which was not true before.

And the team that needs him the most…well they can pound sand. Nevertheless the fall the Sabres have taken -- two years in a row the bottom of the barrel -- seems intentional and shameful. The Sabres used to be a mediocre+ franchise before Pegula took over. He has messed everything up. I have zero confidence that "GMTM" or anyone in that tanking machine knows what to do to bring Buffalo back to respectability. They've lost my respect, that's for sure.

And the team that needs him the most…well they can pound sand. Nevertheless the fall the Sabres have taken -- two years in a row the bottom of the barrel -- seems intentional and shameful. The Sabres used to be a mediocre+ franchise before Pegula took over. He has messed everything up. I have zero confidence that "GMTM" or anyone in that tanking machine knows what to do to bring Buffalo back to respectability. They've lost my respect, that's for sure.

You were happy with mediocre?

I think to a certain extent this is how I feel. Regardless of what some may think - it is not necessary to bring the franchise down to this level to secure some draft picks.

Pegula has run this team right into the ground. Now we put our trust into a first time GM and some lottery balls. Freaking joke.

You were happy with mediocre?

Mediocre is a hell of a lot better than this. Mediocre gives you a chance. This league and the playoff system has proven that. Spending 2+ years of being the worse team in hockey - and at least 2 more years from mediocrity - doesn't work for me.

The Capitals night be considered mediocre. They could win it all this year. Nashville is one year removed from firing their coach. Did they resort to blowing it up and going full blown tank for one freaking player? No.

I think to a certain extent this is how I feel. Regardless of what some may think - it is not necessary to bring the franchise down to this level to secure some draft picks.

Pegula has run this team right into the ground. Now we put our trust into a first time GM and some lottery balls. Freaking joke.

Mediocre is a hell of a lot better than this. Mediocre gives you a chance. This league and the playoff system has proven that. Spending 2+ years of being the worse team in hockey - and at least 2 more years from mediocrity - doesn't work for me.

The Capitals night be considered mediocre. They could win it all this year. Nashville is one year removed from firing their coach. Did they resort to blowing it up and going full blown tank for one freaking player? No.

I'm shocked by this attitude. I'm more confident in the future of the Sabres than I have ever been for a Buffalo sports team. Whether or not you agree with tanking as moral, this was the plan. Tim Murray has been amazing at orchestrating it, so i don't think he is incompetent at all. 

I would argue that the Capitals are a good team and have been so since Ovechkin came up. The only reason that they are a contender (in the East at least) is because of Ovechkin (1st overall), and Backstrom (4th overall). They also picked Alzner 5th overall, and he's been good, but they'd be nowhere without their premiere forwards. 

It was a recognition by ownership and management that we need elite players here, and our timing couldn't have been better seeing as how god the 2015 draft class is supposed to be. 

Also, we're not doing it for only one player. We've already built up an arsenal of prospects and good young players that need the elite cherry-on-top. 

I love this plan. 

I can't be the only person who thinks the logic of moving towards more lottery picks is achieving the opposite of the NHL's desired effect (Which is to prevent tanks). If anything, you get what we have currently, which is several teams out-sucking each other (eewww) for a guarantee of the #2 pick. Making the top 3 picks a toss-up boarders on insanity, with the CHL's annual winner possibly never having a legit chance to dig out of the gutter year after year, especially if that franchise is saddled with a garbage front office. As a conspiracy theorist when it comes to pro sports, Bettman could be sending top picks where he feels they're the best fit (I'm KIDDING*).

As someone mentioned previously, the NFL has had no issues with tanking and giving 1st picks to the worst teams. I wouldn't say that if the NHL did this you would have a perfect system (see this year's sabres of the season-long suckage, or the pre-sid penguins), but at least the crappiest of crap teams would be allowed to restock. Teams don't end up at the bottom, pissing off fans, for kicks...they are legitimately flawed.

Solution? I don't have one. And it wouldn't matter if I did, I'm not an NHL official. But if the league is going to make the top 3 picks a toss-up, they should at least limit the eligible teams to the 3 bottom feeders. If Boston were to miss the playoffs on the last day of the season this year and land the #1 pick (which is an actual thing that could happen), I'm pretty sure I'd walk away from caring about pro sports**.

*not really

**not really

Mediocre is a hell of a lot better than this. Mediocre gives you a chance.

You must love Buffalo sports then, the epitome of mediocrity. Doesn't it get old? You understand this city has never tasted a championship, right?

Our franchise owners have loved this attitude: good enough to keep butts in the seat, but not too good where'd they actually have to spend money on the team.

As someone mentioned previously, the NFL has had no issues with tanking and giving 1st picks to the worst teams.

I wonder if it has more to do with parity. Players never intentionally tank in any sport. And in the NFL, any team can win on a given Sunday. Plus, the NFL doesn't have an annual player sell-off, which can have instant and impressive effects on tanking.

The incentive to tank can't be removed without destroying the notion of parity and competitive balance. The NBA has one of the harshest lottery systems there is, and a tremendous amount of variance as to where in the lottery the best player is taken, and teams still tank every year.

I'm shocked by this attitude. I'm more confident in the future of the Sabres than I have ever been for a Buffalo sports team. Whether or not you agree with tanking as moral, this was the plan. Tim Murray has been amazing at orchestrating it, so i don't think he is incompetent at all.

I would argue that the Capitals are a good team and have been so since Ovechkin came up. The only reason that they are a contender (in the East at least) is because of Ovechkin (1st overall), and Backstrom (4th overall). They also picked Alzner 5th overall, and he's been good, but they'd be nowhere without their premiere forwards.

It was a recognition by ownership and management that we need elite players here, and our timing couldn't have been better seeing as how god the 2015 draft class is supposed to be.

Also, we're not doing it for only one player. We've already built up an arsenal of prospects and good young players that need the elite cherry-on-top.

I love this plan.

I hate this plan. I have accepted it and realize the importance of seeing it through. However, I will never be convinced this was the best and only way to go. I hope in 3 years I can look back and say I was totally wrong. It is a hell of a gamble. One that most good organizations have never resorted to.

I hate this plan. I have accepted it and realize the importance of seeing it through. However, I will never be convinced this was the best and only way to go. I hope in 3 years I can look back and say I was totally wrong. It is a hell of a gamble. One that most good organizations have never resorted to.

You're right, most good organizations have been rewarded with high picks by accidentally being terrible. The calculated risk is more admirable than trying to be good, failing miserably, and becoming good by falling back asswards into high draft picks.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

You're right, most good organizations have been rewarded with high picks by accidentally being terrible. The calculated risk is more admirable than trying to be good, failing miserably, and becoming good by falling back asswards into high draft picks.

A lot of teams have top picks and don't do shizit. We tend to just look at Chicago and Pitt. We don't mention the teams that have top picks that have never done anything. NYI, Edmonton, Colorado, and so on and so on have numerous top picks. Hell Winnipeg just traded two to us. Not exactly like they won much lately.

A lot of teams have top picks and don't do shizit. We tend to just look at Chicago and Pitt. We don't mention the teams that have top picks that have never done anything. NYI, Edmonton, Colorado, and so on and so on have numerous top picks. Hell Winnipeg just traded two to us. Not exactly like they won much lately.

So? Do you expect the Sabres to not do anything with their number ones?

I'm aware of all of this, but that wasn't the point I was making.

PS: the Isles have been good for 3 years now.

At the end of the day, you've had 40 years of mediocre hockey to enjoy. I think its only fair that Tank Nation take a turn at the wheel.

To 716 and sicknfla, there's on box on the right hand side of the door where you came in. It's where you turn in your fan cards. You're done.

I think you are missing my point. Right now I am pro-tank because it is what is best RIGHT NOW!! I don't think it is what was best two and a half years ago when they decided to go this route.

What was best then was Pegula fired DR the minute DR mentioned tank. Pegula could have said " my team is better than that ". Showed DR the door and went out and hired a qualified GM immediately who had a plan to make this team a contending team every way possible other than doing this crap.

So I will keep my fan card for now.

I wonder if it has more to do with parity. Players never intentionally tank in any sport. And in the NFL, any team can win on a given Sunday. Plus, the NFL doesn't have an annual player sell-off, which can have instant and impressive effects on tanking.

Parity is easier to achieve in a single-game playoff format.  You can have a wildcard that gets hot at the right time, manages to win a few games and suddenly they're in the Super Bowl.  That's a lot harder to do (not that it's never happened) in the NHL where you can't just catch a lucky bounce in a single game to advance; you have to do it 4 times at each level of the playoffs.

EDM @ CAR

This potential one point martchup features two of the leagues heavy weights. It was only 9 years ago these two franchises met in the Stanley Cup finals. Pulling for EDM OT loss here.

I love this plan. 

Just add Kool Aid to water with ice, add some sugar, then stir.

To 716 and sicknfla, there's on box on the right hand side of the door where you came in. It's where you turn in your fan cards. You're done.

I've been there since the beginning, how about you beerme? 

Edited by 716

Edmonton was down 3-0 in Carolina midway through the second. It's 3-3 going into the third. Argh.

Now 4-3... :wallbash:

5-3. Oh well. Would've been nice to get more cushion. Yikes.

6-3. Edmonton with a great comeback to keep pace in the Carrion...

Edited by Tank