OT: Manual vs Automatic

Wyldnwoody44

I find that absolutely amazing.

Cars have just never been important to me. I didn't own one until I got married and only then because my wife brought one into the marriage. Before that I took the bus to work and lived in an area where I could walk to everything I needed. And I'm not talking Manhattan or DC here, I'm talking mid-sized Midwestern cities. To me, cars are an unfortunate necessity that literally run on money, support for unfriendly people, and environmental destruction.

But I also totally understand people who enjoy them. Absolutely wouldn't recommend my way unless you were already predisposed to it.

Yes I'm talking about the car, for those with minds in the gutter *cough chz cough* ;)

I recently bought a WRX and its a stick, and I just wanted to get a a feel for those who prefer manual shifting vs auto.

Auto is nice for eating while driving and extracurricular activities, however I've got my multi tasking while driving down to a fine art in the subaru.

Rant away

I would never drive anything but a standard. Love having the ability to control my car like you can in a standard. My commute into DC is a pain in the As@, but wouldn't trade it for the world.

Every car I've owned since I was in high school has been a manual. Driving an automatic just ruins the fun of driving. There are times I get a rental car while on vacation and within the first 10 minutes of driving it I'll slam my face into the steering wheel by hitting the brake really hard with my left foot while looking for the clutch.

Current Cars: 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, 2008 Mini Cooper S.

I just pictured that in my head and had to laugh. I bet that happens more often than people think. :lol:

Cars have just never been important to me. I didn't own one until I got married and only then because my wife brought one into the marriage. Before that I took the bus to work and lived in an area where I could walk to everything I needed. And I'm not talking Manhattan or DC here, I'm talking mid-sized Midwestern cities. To me, cars are an unfortunate necessity that literally run on money, support for unfriendly people, and environmental destruction.

But I also totally understand people who enjoy them. Absolutely wouldn't recommend my way unless you were already predisposed to it.

I recommend your old ways. All the non-drivers I know are tough b@stards. It's all the driving that makes 'mericans soft. That said, I've got a Civic Si, with a rally style shifter (manual with the shifter beneath the radio), and I think that all these floor shifters are quite simply barbarians. I say, if you ain't shifting rally style, you may as well be walking (with a limp).

Neither here nor there, but I don't even think you *can* get a WRX with an auto. When I was car shopping three years ago the only option for that can was a 5 speed. Good to see a company tell people how things should be and actually be right about it :lol:

You can now, the local Subaru dealership has nothing but Automatic WRXs. Good thing the STI is still only available in a manual.

Dealerships here in LA almost refuse to stock manuals. There's either no demand or there's a perception that there's no demand, probably because of traffic or something. It's insanity.

There's a lot of insanity in the LA automobiling experience.

Traffic jams, as stated above, are the bane of clutch pushers. My leg seriously gets tired, which makes the traffic jam that much more unbearable.

I agree that they are huge money suckers, for sure. And my apologies if I sounded judgmental, I was just surprised to see that - hopefully I didn't imply anything unintended.

I recognize that avatar. Do you know Arden Farms, out your former way, in Billington Heights? They are of Elbert Hubbard stock apparently. Shame about the Lusitania sinking. RIP.

Echo your transmission comments, BTW.

I was 8 when we left East Aurora. I don’t remember Arden Farms by name, but I remember every fall my family used to go to some place nearby where they made incredible apple cider. We got to watch them squeeze it, and they showed us the whole process of making cider. We always took a few gallons home (non-alcoholic), and that stuff was great.

I drive an automatic 4-cyl hatchback. My wife's minivan is really fun to drive because, although it's still an auto, and much larger, it's the very first 6-cyl I've ever driven.

I feel like Mario Andretti when I roll out onto 5 & 20.

How can you feel like that if you don't drive manual ? :D

My response as someone from a country where you can't get your licence without learning to drive manual. (exceptions are made for disabled people)

My parents both drove/drive manuals only, so that's what I learned on. Driving an automatic feels like I'm missing some level of control. I've had manual Jeeps, Subarus, etc. Really wish that the European-spec Forester with the six-speed manual and boxer diesel would be offered here in the US.

I will say that, if I were to ever have a long stop-and-go commute, I would probably purchase an automatic. I'd hate it the rest of the time, though.

As much as I love manuals, there's no arguing that the latest production cars with the 8 speed autos are much quicker in a drag race than the same car with a manual.

First, there is the inherent mechanical advantage - with 8 speeds there are more gear ratios to keep optimum power/torque flowing to the drive wheels than with a 5 or 6 speed manual transmission. Plus the current computer controlled auto transmissions shift in mere milliseconds at full throttle - faster than a human can shift. And the shifts are always the same and always consistent.

Auto....all cars, all the time.

I bought one manual mitsu Eclipse turbo years ago....falling into the thinking of thinking of "sporty cars are meant to be driven with a manual"....but i didnt get that feeling when i had it,

Ease of use, comfort, and with todays tech, I'll take also the added performance and efficiency of the Auto over the manual (most Auto cars now out perform their manual equipped counterparts, espeically with DSG's and 6-8 speed autos).

Also, if I had a performance car, I want to just hit the gas and enjoy the feeling of pure acceleration with my mind only on steering or modulating the gas to reduce wheel-spin...I don't need the extra 'sensation' of shifting gears to enjoy the acceleration.

I agree that they are huge money suckers, for sure. And my apologies if I sounded judgmental, I was just surprised to see that - hopefully I didn't imply anything unintended.

I understand what you're saying. I'm fully aware that my relationship with the automobile is abnormal, bordering on un-American.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.