OT: Manual vs Automatic

Wyldnwoody44

I understand what you're saying. I'm fully aware that my relationship with the automobile is abnormal, bordering on un-American.

The appreciation of a vehicle as a tool is utilitarian and very much respectable. Modern cars are bloated, air bag laden, sensory deprivation chambers. I long for the days of cars as simple transport. It's almost impossible now to track down a base model without a touch screen or some kind of garbage I don't want.

When I was in college, friends and I went on vacation and both cars we took were manuals, so I had no choice but to learn how to drive one. That being said, some 35 years later, I haven't driven one since, and have no desire to. :ph34r:

Edited by LabattBlue

I dunno, I loved my 5-speed Jeep Cherokee as far as SUVs go. And someone upthread is right: WRX doesn't come in manual. It's 5-speed only, or the STi is 6-speed.

Agreed! I drive a 6-spd wrangler and it is the best. I even taught my wife to drive it and she loves it as well. Not a sports car, but just so much fun to drive. Of course it's not a suburban, to be fair. With a manual I just feel more connected with the car and the road, and the car does what I want it to. We are actually thinking of getting a 4 door mid-size SUV for her, and she wants a manual (as do I obviously), the only issue is the options are basically disappearing. As far as I know you can only get one in a slightly older 4runner, a 4 door wrangler, and the highest 4x4 trim package xterra. You might be able to get one in an older escape, but only in the 4 cylinder.

She also loves the 2011 and later Dodge Charger but they only make it in an auto! What a crock...

Those who profess to love manual transmissions are those who don't have to sit in rush hour commutes in places like DC, NYC, LA, Philly, etc. Automatic is practically required for crowded big cities these days.

Not so! I'm not going to claim it's as easy as an auto in bumper to bumper, but if you're used to it it's no big deal. I've always had manuals in DC (and briefly in NYC), with commutes up to an hour each way. I bike to work now so the point is moot now, but my wife drives the jeep to work on the beltway every day. She hates the traffic obviously, but still prefers the manual.

I recommend your old ways. All the non-drivers I know are tough b@stards. It's all the driving that makes 'mericans soft. That said, I've got a Civic Si, with a rally style shifter (manual with the shifter beneath the radio), and I think that all these floor shifters are quite simply barbarians. I say, if you ain't shifting rally style, you may as well be walking (with a limp).

Rally-style would imply a sequential shifter (just gear up and gear down, like a motorcycle) to me. I'd have to reconsider a Civic if that's an option.

Like this, pull to go up a gear, push forward to go down a gear.

The appreciation of a vehicle as a tool is utilitarian and very much respectable. Modern cars are bloated, air bag laden, sensory deprivation chambers. I long for the days of cars as simple transport. It's almost impossible now to track down a base model without a touch screen or some kind of garbage I don't want.

Auto makers can't make them profitably so you won't find them very readily at all.

Auto makers can't make them profitably so you won't find them very readily at all.

Yup. That's the problem. It's the same reason why you wont find a car with manual windows or locks. It's cheaper to build the car WITH them than without.

Also, I wish Dacia were sold in the US.

http://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/sandero/

I love manual. My dad learnt me in his '04 A4. I never rolled backwards into someone, but I did almost kill us both stalling out in the middle of an intersection. After I fell in love with it, my dad eventually gave me the car. It died forever 2 days later (not in a crash, the engine was just done).

It's all hills and curvy roads around here, so it's extra fun to drive stick. Makes me sad to have an auto car.

And d4rk, are you really already too old for manual cars? yeesh

I love manual. My dad learnt me in his '04 A4. I never rolled backwards into someone, but I did almost kill us both stalling out in the middle of an intersection. After I fell in love with it, my dad eventually gave me the car. It died forever 2 days later (not in a crash, the engine was just done).

It's all hills and curvy roads around here, so it's extra fun to drive stick. Makes me sad to have an auto car.

And d4rk, are you really already too old for manual cars? yeesh

I like manual cars. I would never use one as a daily driver. I've messed up my left knee too many times playing goalie to know that using a clutch with an immobilizer on is not possible. It was hard enough to drive my Suburban :P

I like manual cars. I would never use one as a daily driver. I've messed up my left knee too many times playing goalie to know that using a clutch with an immobilizer on is not possible. It was hard enough to drive my Suburban :P

I had to teach him stick.

He was a quick learner.

It depends how drunk I am when I get in to drive.

If you mean you have some kinda autostick, you have an automatic. Stop pretending.

Those who profess to love manual transmissions are those who don't have to sit in rush hour commutes in places like DC, NYC, LA, Philly, etc. Automatic is practically required for crowded big cities these days.

I just got back from a trip to Bristol, England, and Rome, Italy. Crazy traffic. Everyone drives manuals.

As for my car... stick.

13440496953_922322a90e_z.jpg

Fiat 500 by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

If you mean you have some kinda autostick, you have an automatic. Stop pretending.

I just got back from a trip to Bristol, England, and Rome, Italy. Crazy traffic. Everyone drives manuals.

As for my car... stick.

13440496953_922322a90e_z.jpg

Fiat 500 by doohickie@ymail.com, on Flickr

I love my WRX and all, but if I were starting from scratch today, I'd be looking at something like a AWD Honda Element for the family car and a Fiat 500 for my daily commuter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.