My Idea for a New Sabres Tradition

Eleven

During some commercial break, rather than the Jumbo playing its usual dreck, I want it to lead the crowd in singing the Erie Canal song.

Local, awesome, proud, and everything can only go right.

Thoughts?

I actually kinda dig that.

We could mess with the verses a bit. Maybe have it end on one of the Buffalo verses so you can lead right into a let's go Buffalo.

I could see a short version for use during TV timeouts.

I love the idea of the canal song! I've also had the thought that the song "Fallen Leaves" by Billy Talent would be a great song to rub in Toronto's face after each Sabres victory. "In a crooked little town, they were lost but never found Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves on the ground." I can just hear the crowd singing along and changing "leaves" to "Leafs." Might be a stretch as the song is not very mainstream.

Git up there mule, here comes a lock

We'll make Rome 'bout six o'clock

One more trip and back we'll go

Right back home to Buffalo

Low bridge, everybody down!

Low bridge for we're coming to a town!

And you'll always know your neighbor!

And you'll always know your pal!

If you've ever navigated on the Erie Canal!

There was a time when every grade school kid in WNY learned it.

Edited by X. Benedict

We've got a team in blue and gold

Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal

We're with them through the snow and cold

Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal

We've seen some big ones in our day

Scored by Patty, Gil, and May

And every inch of the way will Go

To bring that Cup to Buffalo

Chorus:

Low bridge, everybody down

Low bridge cause we're coming to a town

And you'll always love your Sabres

And you'll always know your pals

If you've ever navigated on the Erie Canal

I think it is a great idea. Get buy in from the 20-30 crowd who love to yell and scream once they get a couple beers in them, and it will take off.

That being said, Chet & Muffy will not be happy with this idea. This will disrupt Muffy who loves to bring a book to the game, and Chet who is busy discussing what the Dow did earlier in the day.

I think it is a great idea. Get buy in from the 20-30 crowd who love to yell and scream once they get a couple beers in them, and it will take off.

That being said, Chet & Muffy will not be happy with this idea. This will disrupt Muffy who loves to bring a book to the game, and Chet who is busy discussing what the Dow did earlier in the day.

It's the Sabres, not the Philharmonic.

Great idea, but I too have reservations about that particular song.

There has to be a song with local ties that the crowd can sing when a win is imminent instead of "Sweet Caroline." I still find it abhorrent that the FNC boosted that from the Red Sox.

They do it at the Ralph and I believe every stadium/arena in North America. Don't let it bother you.

I agree with you. Just stating my observations when I' at the FNC.

My favorite Muffy was the woman doing crossword puzzles and crushing big pretzels at a game I attended recently.

Why even go to the game?

I'm sure she's happy the Sabres are sponsored by Pizza Logs.

In all seriousness, Eleven, it's a great idea. I just wish the Sabres employed people who were clever and bright enough to enact ideas like this. Hell, I wish the Sabres' owners and their team of accountant advisers were bright enough to know that the arena experience has to be totally rejiggered. They've had three years and what have they done? One of my ideas was to have an anthem singer who sets a different tone than Doug Allen, and I was ripped to shreds. Doug Allen has always been the anthem singer at the Overlook Hotel and always will be! Why can't the atmosphere be better in the arena? As usual, follow the money.

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.