Today's trivia question

\GoBillsInDallas/

Spoiler within, highlight to read: Floyd Smith for Buffalo, SHK III dropping the puck, and Jean Beliveau for the Habs. The one on the right holding the paper sorta looks like Rick Azar, the old sports anchor for one of the TV stations (don't recall which one). As for the others, I got nothing...

I have five of the eight: The two players are Floyd Smith (Sabres' captain) and Jean Beliveau (Canadiens captain). The person dropping the puck is Seymour Knox III. The white-haired gentleman behind Floyd Smith is Buffalo Mayor Frank Sedita and to his right is Channel 7 Sports director Rick Azar.

The three men in the left background...well, I can guess but it would be a wild-a$$ guess.

Is the one on the far left Swados? Looks like him.

The one in profile in the background appears to be Norty.

I'll take Sabre Dance's word for it that the guy next to Azar is the mayor.

Can't see enough of the guy in the far back, but PA's guess that it's Campbell makes sense and he looks similar to him.

The 3 in the front are obvious.

Surprised Punch isn't in the picture.

Edited by Taro T

Fun one for us old timers!

SabreDance nailed the five, I think. Old bald guy could be Clarence (was he around then?)

The guy right behind Mayor Sedita looks kind of like Rick Azar's brother, Carlos Carballada, but why would he be there?

Looking forward to reading the answer.

Is the one on the far left Swados? Looks like him.

The one in profile in the background appears to be Norty.

I'll take Sabre Dance's word for it that the guy next to Azar is the mayor.

Can't see enough of the guy in the far back, but PA's guess that it's Campbell makes sense and he looks similar to him.

The 3 in the front are obvious.

Surprised Punch isn't in the picture.

I don't think it's Swados. I just looked at Budd Bailey's history of the Sabres and there's a photo of the Niagara Frontier Hockey group that tried unsuccessfully to land the Sabres the first time. Swados is shown and there's little resemblance between him and the guy in the photo. Also, Norty was already essentially bald by then.

• 5 months later...

OK. Thanks to chz's find of the old film from 1970, maybe we finally have a break here. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been putting in quite a few hours most nights trying to nail this down. The film says David Molson, president of the Canadiens, took part in the ceremony. Is the man on the far left David Molson?

http://www.snipview.com/q/J.%20David%20Molson

Edited by PASabreFan

And this: if you check out the film starting at about 28:55, you'll see video of the puck drop. It confirms that it's Campbell in the back. And the dude on the far left has to be Molson, because there are only six men out there besides the captains, and we know who everyone else is, except one, and that's not Molson. But. Who. The. . Is. He?

And this: if you check out the film starting at about 28:55, you'll see video of the puck drop. It confirms that it's Campbell in the back. And the dude on the far left has to be Molson, because there are only six men out there besides the captains, and we know who everyone else is, except one, and that's not Molson. But. Who. The. ######. Is. He?

Not sure why he'd be there when Punch isn't, but that mystery man does have a passing resemblance to Sam Pollock - long time Habs GM.

Not sure why he'd be there when Punch isn't, but that mystery man does have a passing resemblance to Sam Pollock - long time Habs GM.

It's not Sam. It might be a member of the Sabres board of directors or someone from the Common Council or something. Wait, who was the Erie County Exec. in 1970?

Edit: nope.

http://history.buffalonews.com/2014/12/11/dec-10-1969-big-money-republican-democrat-fundraisers-statler/

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.