How Pegula buying the Bills affects the Sabres...

Bob Malooga

"It looks like the owner of the Buffalo Sabres is the front-runner to purchase the Buffalo Bills. But will the Pegula family owning two teams in the same city affect the Sabres in any meaningful way?"

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2014/7/31/5955083/terry-pegula-purchasing-the-buffalo-bills-affects-buffalo-sabres

My personal opinion? It would have absolutely zero direct effect on either team, if he were to own both franchises. He would put the right people in place, possibly keeping Whaley (who I think deserves to stay), and could be the one who brings both fans a championship...I see nothing but positives with this scenario.

Discuss.

Yes sir. You rang?

How may I assist?

Is the typo in the thread title jangling your nerves?

Just wanted to see if you are answering pages.

Oh, and the typo.

The biggest negative there will be less stuff to complain about, but we'll find stuff.

Are you afraid of another trial?

Positive impact? Pegula not only is a big player in Buffalo, but he becomes even larger in NY states eyes (Albany politicians) and the pull he has will be directed at Western NY.

Negative? Same a above, but when the state does direct something his way (to WNY) they may say "you'll get money for one thing but not for both, now pick which you want"

If the Bills get a new Stadium here in 10 years, at about that time we might be looking for a new Hockey arena or at least a MAJOR refurbishment of the current one at a minimum cost of $100's of millions. The arean is fine now, and will probably be usable by then, but a few things to consider:

1. In 10 years, it will be approaching 30 years old.

2. While nice for an arena, Some of the ones built in the last 10 years are much nicer already.

3. As or right now, how many Teams in the NHL play in buildings that are more than 5 years older than ours? 5 Teams. The Islanders and Edmonton have new homes coming, and MSG has had a nearly Billion dollar renovation. That is now, what will the NHL landscape look like in 10 years? With the Harbor centre basically attached to the arena now, I'm not sure we will be looking at a new one, but I can expect major renovations/upgrades to be happining in that time frame.

Edited by mjd1001

I'm betting that his wife runs the Sabres and he runs the Bills. I think I heard rumors that Mrs. Pegula wanted the Sabres and Mr. Pegula has always wanted the Sabres. If that is the case, has there ever been, let's say, women "controlling" (for lack of a better word) owners in the NHL?

Edited by respk

I'm betting that his wife runs the Sabres and he runs the Bills. I think I heard rumors that Mrs. Pegula wanted the Sabres and Mr. Pegula has always wanted the Sabres. If that is the case, as there ever been, let's say, women "controlling" owners in the NHL?

Those were my thoughts a few days back as well since we now know that Kim is sitting in on meetings.

He would put the right people in place...

Like him installing a Joe Battista into the Bills FO? He's injected cronies into the Sabres organization, so I'd expect no different with the Bills. The real question is whether Whaley would tolerate it or role over. It seems like it takes a strong personality, like what TM has and PLF didn't have, to deal with it. The 2nd question is whether us fans even care, as long as we aggressively pursue a Super Bowl.

I'm betting that his wife runs the Sabres and he runs the Bills. I think I heard rumors that Mrs. Pegula wanted the Sabres and Mr. Pegula has always wanted the Sabres. If that is the case, has there ever been, let's say, women "controlling" (for lack of a better word) owners in the NHL?

Interesting. I remember starting a thread when Terry bought the team asking what people thought his motivation was for doing so. "Giving his wife a gift" and "laying the groundwork for buying the Bills" never entered my mind.

Guest Sloth

"It looks like the owner of the Buffalo Sabres is the front-runner to purchase the Buffalo Bills. But will the Pegula family owning two teams in the same city affect the Sabres in any meaningful way?"

http://www.diebytheb...-buffalo-sabres

My personal opinion? It would have absolutely zero direct effect on either team, if he were to own both franchises. He would put the right people in place, possibly keeping Whaley (who I think deserves to stay), and could be the one who brings both fans a championship...I see nothing but positives with this scenario.

Discuss.

Thanks for starting this thread Malooga. :thumbsup:

In my general opinion, Pegula owning both teams would have more pros than cons. One pro is reputation. The Sabres seem to be an organization that has a growing number of players across the NHL wanting to be a part of it. Well, at least saying positive things about the franchise. Buffalo used to be a semi-stay away from organization. Now, that doesn't seem to be. Pegula is the reason for that. If he were to gain ownership of the Bills, I believe their rep would go up as well. It appears as if when Pegula makes a commitment, he does what he can to ensure success. Yes, I know the Sabres haven't done well, but wow are they getting closer and closer to it. The ownership of the Bills could possibly increase a players want to be a part of the Sabres. I also believe Pegula's ownership of the Bills could increase the number of players wanting to play football in Buffalo. It just all goes hand in hand. Pegula has done a lot for the city of Buffalo. And it is rather apparent he is not done yet. So yes, Pegula's ownership of the Bills would benefit the Sabres. And his ownership of the Bills would benefit them as well. Reputation and proven commitment can go a long way. Remember, professional athletes are people too. I have high hopes Pegula gains ownership of the Bills.

Marguerite Norris was the president of the Red Wings in the 50s. Her name is on the cup twice as a result.

Now I understand I do not know her but after meeting Kim and having a brief convo with her, I have to say I genuinely like her. She's smart and most definitely a people person. I get the impression from other things she inspires a sense of loyalty in others. That being said I think she was more of a driving force behind the DR firing (note this is based off of nothing but my feelings) than her husband. All in all I would say that Kim being in charge of the organization as a whole is fine by me. She seems to be able to add her input where needed and sit back where not. If it does work out that Terry is the bills guy and she is the Sabres, I would be perfectly happy. #WomenInHockey

Now I understand I do not know her but after meeting Kim and having a brief convo with her, I have to say I genuinely like her. She's smart and most definitely a people person. I get the impression from other things she inspires a sense of loyalty in others. That being said I think she was more of a driving force behind the DR firing (note this is based off of nothing but my feelings) than her husband. All in all I would say that Kim being in charge of the organization as a whole is fine by me. She seems to be able to add her input where needed and sit back where not. If it does work out that Terry is the bills guy and she is the Sabres, I would be perfectly happy. #WomenInHockey

BACK. THE. FUKC. OFF.

Kim Pegula (nee Kerr) is my borderline unhealthy Sabrespace crush, dude. MINE.

Seriously. Someone better talk to this kid.

+++

In all seriousness, I challenge anyone to meet the lady and not come away with the impression you have, LGR. And, FWIW, that warm charm is in no small part how she wound up married to an energy billionaire (not that he was one at the time (but he was, I reckon, a millionaire)).

BACK. THE. FUKC. OFF.

Kim Pegula (nee Kerr) is my borderline unhealthy Sabrespace crush, dude. MINE.

Seriously. Someone better talk to this kid.

+++

In all seriousness, I challenge anyone to meet the lady and not come away with the impression you have, LGR. And, FWIW, that warm charm is in no small part how she wound up married to an energy billionaire (not that he was one at the time (but he was, I reckon, a millionaire)).

She really is quite nice. I met and spoke with her at Dwyer during dev. camp. She asked more questions about me then I could of her . lol

She really is quite nice.

Srsly.

I met and spoke with her at Dwyer during dev. camp. She asked more questions about me then I could of her . lol

Good story. This does not surprise me.

She's the sort of person that validates, for me, the notion of "multiple intelligences" -- a concept that was in vogue for a few years back before the common core rolled into town. Kim Pegula's intelligence when it comes to dealing with people is, IMO, at a genius level.

Also, she is very pretty. And smells nice.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.