OT: Anyone Have a Home Security System

ubkev

My friend who lives 2 streets over, had his house broken into early this morning while he was sleeping in it. He and his family are fine, but the burglar(s) cleaned them out.

I called ADT after I found out and set up an appointment for tomorrow. I'm aware that I'm being paranoid, but he and I work in the same place, same hours and we have the same sleep habits and apparently these people knew when to target him...

So do us anyone have a security system, are you happy with it and if so, what should I know going into this consult tomorrow, what should I ask? I trust you guys and gals here will always shoot me straight.

My friend who lives 2 streets over, had his house broken into early this morning while he was sleeping in it. He and his family are fine, but the burglar(s) cleaned them out.

I called ADT after I found out and set up an appointment for tomorrow. I'm aware that I'm being paranoid, but he and I work in the same place, same hours and we have the same sleep habits and apparently these people knew when to target him...

So do us anyone have a security system, are you happy with it and if so, what should I know going into this consult tomorrow, what should I ask? I trust you guys and gals here will always shoot me straight.

Things you'll want to consider: traditionally, alarms send signals via the phone lines to the monitoring service. If you don't have a traditional POTS phone (cable, FIOS, VOIP do not count), you'll need a unit that talks to cell towers. This will cost more money. The alarm person will talk about criminals cutting the phone line before breaking in. I'm not sure how much scare-tactic that is vs. reality. My guess is criminals will move on to your neighbor who doesn't have an alarm before going that route.

Next, ask about how the triggers work. In my house, the front and garage doors trigger a 45-second "beep, beep" where you can walk over to the pad and punch in your code to avert the alarm. The windows on the first floor and sliding doors trigger the alarm immediately which is really annoying. The alarm is annoying in itself, but it's more annoying to have to answer the phone and admit that you're a dumbass and set it off again. This happens in my house 2 times a month on average; I really need to talk to my alarm company to see if they can change that. Other other "more cost" option you can do now is have your alarm linked to an app on your cell phone. That'd be cool, but it wasn't worth it to me.

My house had the alarm when I bought it, so I figured I might as well use it. Even then, I didn't set the alarm much until my wife started living here. Even then, I probably wouldn't bother with it (I live in a pretty safe neighborhood) but it makes her happy so I roll with it.

My dog does seem to work because it looks like I own a wolf, but he can't call the cops after he eats people.

If you own a dog that looks like a wolf, a security system is almost assuredly redundant or useless.

The dog will deter all but the most hardcore burglars, and those that aren't detered probably can be in and out of your house far quicker than the cops can arrive.

But, if you or your family will sleep better having Cujo's backup on the bench, so to speak, have at it.

If you own a dog that looks like a wolf, a security system is almost assuredly redundant or useless.

The dog will deter all but the most hardcore burglars, and those that aren't detered probably can be in and out of your house far quicker than the cops can arrive.

But, if you or your family will sleep better having Cujo's backup on the bench, so to speak, have at it.

It will make my wife feel better, plus it will stop her from buying another dog. She's been talking about rottweilers all day. I love rotties and I want one, but I can't swing $2000 for a dog today lol.

It will make my wife feel better, plus it will stop her from buying another dog. She's been talking about rottweilers all day. I love rotties and I want one, but I can't swing $2000 for a dog today lol.

Then I hope you find an affordable system. Good luck.

You'll probably pay that much for the system and couple years of monitoring.

My neighbour has one, they still broke in twice since then.

I got a big Dog :P

I've got both - ADT (they're actually Broadview now I think), and two noisy dogs. The shepherd mix is more of a threat, but when he gets excited his bark gets squeaky. The beagle is much smaller but always produces a deep, threatening bark.

You'll probably pay that much for the system and couple years of monitoring.

But you'll spend much more than that on a Rot when you take into account food and vet bills.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

I've got both - ADT (they're actually Broadview now I think), and two noisy dogs. The shepherd mix is more of a threat, but when he gets excited his bark gets squeaky. The beagle is much smaller but always produces a deep, threatening bark.

This is me too. I have a wireless ADT alarm system (no need for a phone line) and have two big loud barky dogs. Both would probably lick your face if you broke in, but burglars won't know that. I live in what is affectionately known as a "transitional" neighborhood in a high crime city. Break-ins are common. And, lately people's lawn mowers have been disappearing from their sheds. Most criminals know alarms won't trigger the police for 30-45 seconds after the break-in. As a result "smash and grab" break-ins are the most common type in my neighborhood. They'll see something they want through a window - normally electronics like a laptop computer or TV - smash their way in and grab the item and be out within 20 seconds or so. Dogs keep the "smash and grabs" from happening.

An alarm system is something buyers will often look for when you go to sell the property. So, putting one in can have investment value depending on what you get. ADT is expensive, but will give you all of the equipment for free in exchange for a 3 year contract. Most home insurance companies will also give you a rate break if you have an alarm (or may even require one).

This is me too. I have a wireless ADT alarm system (no need for a phone line) and have two big loud barky dogs. Both would probably lick your face if you broke in, but burglars won't know that. I live in what is affectionately known as a "transitional" neighborhood in a high crime city. Break-ins are common. And, lately people's lawn mowers have been disappearing from their sheds. Most criminals know alarms won't trigger the police for 30-45 seconds after the break-in. As a result "smash and grab" break-ins are the most common type in my neighborhood. They'll see something they want through a window - normally electronics like a laptop computer or TV - smash their way in and grab the item and be out within 20 seconds or so. Dogs keep the "smash and grabs" from happening.

An alarm system is something buyers will often look for when you go to sell the property. So, putting one in can have investment value depending on what you get. ADT is expensive, but will give you all of the equipment for free in exchange for a 3 year contract. Most home insurance companies will also give you a rate break if you have an alarm (or may even require one).

Some will give you that discount for having a big dog.

If you've got 'one of those' companies, you need to find a new carrier. :)

It's a valid concern. They don't base the higher rate on vapor, they base it on risk values based on previously paid claims for people in a given situation (such as dog owners). My wife actually got nipped by one of our dogs several years ago and decided to have it looked at in the ER. The ER reported it to animal control and our health insurance company investigated whether they wanted to refuse to pay and make us put it on our homeowner's insurance. It was a pain in the butt. As it turned out, they health insurance paid the hospital and that was that. If it had been someone else's dog, though, I think they might have tried to get payment from the other people.

I have described my beagles bark in many ways (loud, deafening, musical, erksome) but i don't think i have ever thought of it as threatening

2000 dollar ? that is fully trained dog i hope, Rottweiler pups over here cost like 500 euro.

2000 dollar ? that is fully trained dog i hope, Rottweiler pups over here cost like 500 euro.

You can get them from puppy mills here for about 800, 1200-1500 from a reputable breeder. But then there's his first years shots, check ups, getting fixed. It's a fortune.

Anyway. Ordered the system went with FrontPoint based on consumer reports and angies list. Hope it calms the wife down. Thanks for the input, guys.

Things you'll want to consider: traditionally, alarms send signals via the phone lines to the monitoring service. If you don't have a traditional POTS phone (cable, FIOS, VOIP do not count), you'll need a unit that talks to cell towers. This will cost more money. The alarm person will talk about criminals cutting the phone line before breaking in. I'm not sure how much scare-tactic that is vs. reality. My guess is criminals will move on to your neighbor who doesn't have an alarm before going that route.

Next, ask about how the triggers work. In my house, the front and garage doors trigger a 45-second "beep, beep" where you can walk over to the pad and punch in your code to avert the alarm. The windows on the first floor and sliding doors trigger the alarm immediately which is really annoying. The alarm is annoying in itself, but it's more annoying to have to answer the phone and admit that you're a dumbass and set it off again. This happens in my house 2 times a month on average; I really need to talk to my alarm company to see if they can change that. Other other "more cost" option you can do now is have your alarm linked to an app on your cell phone. That'd be cool, but it wasn't worth it to me.

My house had the alarm when I bought it, so I figured I might as well use it. Even then, I didn't set the alarm much until my wife started living here. Even then, I probably wouldn't bother with it (I live in a pretty safe neighborhood) but it makes her happy so I roll with it.

ADT uses at&t cell towers in their standard package, so you should be ok there, however they are quite expensive for their monitoring service and require a contract. They are a damned good service though . Having had ADT already, I would look into "simply safe." They seem to be cheaper with no contract. My friend bought it and installed it himself, said it was pretty easy and took about an hour or so to install himself. Edited by MILFHUNTER#518

Good advice. We have a wireless system, I think we pay around ~6$ extra per month for it (we don't have a land line.) We use Frontpoint and have been very happy with it, the customer service has been excellent any time we've needed it.

If you are comfortable with it, I would also say get a home defense shotgun. I would suggest a 20 gauge, it is powerful enough to stop an intruder, but probably wont kill him (or her) as long as you are using home defense shells, and another benny is at close range the load wont blow straight through the target, thereby reducing collateral damage. Get a pistol gripped pump action Mossberg, chances are once the intruder hears the pump upstairs, they will be booking it and you wont have to use one shot!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.