Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

The Blues come to mind.  Incredibly solid team top to bottom, but Pietrangelo and Tarasenko are the closest thing they have to stars.

Something has to give sooner or later with that team.  They're quickly becoming the 1980s Winnipeg Jets.

Matt O'Connor signed with Ottawa. Strange choice. Two of Lehner, Anderson and Hammond likely go this offseason.

Why two? That seems like a wild assumption.

O'Connor to AHL.

Two of Lehner, Anderson and Hammond in Ottawa.

One of them traded.

My guess only Lehner traded. And i'm sure Buffalo will be in that discussion.

Why two? That seems like a wild assumption.

O'Connor to AHL.

Two of Lehner, Anderson and Hammond in Ottawa.

One of them traded.

My guess only Lehner traded. And i'm sure Buffalo will be in that discussion.

Just my opinion. I don't see a reason why O'Connor would've picked Ottawa if he didn't think he'd play early. Had that chance in Edmonton.

Just my opinion. I don't see a reason why O'Connor would've picked Ottawa if he didn't think he'd play early. Had that chance in Edmonton.

I know had BU been knocked out early, he wanted to get some games in before the end of the season, not only to test his worth but also knock off a year off his entry level contract. But, since he's signed after the season, it's unrealistic to think a college goaltender can jump straight to the NHL. College plays only on weekends so theres a lot of rest inbetween games. I don't see any way O'Connor doesn't start in the AHL? Same applies had he signed in Edmonton.

How long he'll play in the AHL i don't know, that is all based on how he plays and how the goalie situation is in Ottawa.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-top-3-contenders-for-mike-babcock/

30 Thoughts... Some important notes:

• Says Buffalo, Detroit and Philly are the front-runners for Babcock with San Jose and Toronto as "I don't knows."
  • One team talking to McLellan believes he's got a deal done to head to Edmonton. Friedman says it's at least close.
  • Blashill and MacLean are two contenders for Detroit if Babcock leaves.
  • Nashville will have a quiet offseason.
  • With O'Connor in it seems like at least one of Anderson and Lehner will be gone and Buffalo is assumed to have interest in Anderson.
  • Said that if one of Lehner or Anderson get them a top-six forward then they'll be the one to go (I doubt either nets that)
Edited by Hoss

Chuck Fletcher is a mark and Buffalo collected big time at his expense. The owner can't see it but he's the main problem in Minnesota. Here's how it all worked together.

From the St. Paul Star-Tribune: 

At the 2013 trade deadline, (Fletcher) traded two prospects and a first- and second-round pick to Buffalo for Pominville. At the 2014 trade deadline, he traded two seconds in a package that included the acquisition of Matt Moulson (one goal in the playoffs) from Buffalo. Last July 1, he signed Vanek to a three-year, $19.5 million contract, and at this past trade deadline, he traded a second to Buffalo for Chris Stewart (no goals in the playoffs).

Edited by 716

Chuck Fletcher is a mark and Buffalo collected big time at his expense. The owner can't see it but he's the main problem in Minnesota. Here's how it all worked together.

At the 2013 trade deadline, (Fletcher) traded two prospects and a first- and second-round pick to Buffalo for Pominville. At the 2014 trade deadline, he traded two seconds in a package that included the acquisition of Matt Moulson (one goal in the playoffs) from Buffalo. Last July 1, he signed Vanek to a three-year, $19.5 million contract, and at this past trade deadline, he traded a second to Buffalo for Chris Stewart (no goals in the playoffs).

Spend your money on a center, Chuck. 

Here's the full article:  http://www.startribune.com/wild-s-exit-forces-team-to-take-stock-of-its-parts/303192461/?recirculation=most-read

Spend your money on a center, Chuck. 

Hey they have Koivu and... hold on I have to google it...

Grandlund and Coyle... so yea...  

Seriously this is why you don't spend tons of money on 2nd line wingers.  It is like watching DR all over again. 

Hey they have Koivu and... hold on I have to google it...

Grandlund and Coyle... so yea...

Seriously this is why you don't spend tons of money on 2nd line wingers. It is like watching DR all over again.

They tried to spend on Stastny but missed out

Chicago still might be in cap trouble. They have 13 players under contract for next year and only 8.4 million in space. They need to sign Kruger and Saad and only have three NHL D Men under contract. Sharp or Hossa might be available.

Saw this quote in a random article: "The Chicago Blackhawks hit a rough patch towards the end of the 2015 NHL season and several reports leaked that there was some serious friction in the locker room. Not long after, there was a rumored fight between Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp and defenseman Duncan Keith."

If true, Sharp won't be in Chicago next season.

They tried to spend on Stastny but missed out

Sounds exactly like Darcy now. Trying to fix your center depth in UFA. 

Honestly though Minnesota's problem is one we should be familiar with.  They went out and tried to buy a team. They spent a ton on wingers and defense but as we well know, centers are more difficult to locate.  The wingers they acquired were all of a similar type and here we are discussing how they got owned by Chicago.  Last year I think they were a first round exit. 

Sounds exactly like Darcy now. Trying to fix your center depth in UFA. 

Honestly though Minnesota's problem is one we should be familiar with.  They went out and tried to buy a team. They spent a ton on wingers and defense but as we well know, centers are more difficult to locate.  The wingers they acquired were all of a similar type and here we are discussing how they got owned by Chicago.  Last year I think they were a first round exit. 

I think Minny is a better team by far than we were in 2009-2011.  They had a first round loss, and two second round losses in the last 3 years.  All to the Blackhawks.  Beating the Blues is no small feat, that team is tough as nails.  The fact that they are probably at their ceiling right now is what reminds me of those old Sabres squads.  Just not quite good enough, and no easy way to get better.

Minnesota's biggest issue is up the middle, but their second biggest issue is the fact that their five highest salary players are all over 30. As much as it might seem to be the opposite they're not a team on the rise.

Minnesota's biggest issue is up the middle, but their second biggest issue is the fact that their five highest salary players are all over 30. As much as it might seem to be the opposite they're not a team on the rise.

If they were smart they would sell a couple of vets at the draft this year for either picks or young guys in their 20's, accept that next year will be a down year, and then be on the rise again in 2016.  They could do a quick turn around.

If they were smart they would sell a couple of vets at the draft this year for either picks or young guys in their 20's, accept that next year will be a down year, and then be on the rise again in 2016. They could do a quick turn around.

I think we've been brain washed a bit by what we did. Every time there's a discussion about a team that is close but not quite there everybody immediately says they need to sell off some players and then building through down years... I think Minnesota could make vet-for-vet trades.

It would never work financially but a Parise and Suter for Malkin (and another piece like Beau Bennett) deal is interesting.

It's pretty clear that it's hard to be a middle-of-the-pack team in the playoffs and improve year by year when you're up against the cap. Teams basically need to get "lucky" and have a hot goalie. Minnesota could be that if they add some beef up the middle. Maybe they can pick up a guy like Mike Fisher to help out their bottom six and then just hope Coyle and Granlund grow.

Or, the obvious, get Ryan O'Reilly. I don't know if they'd have to give a guy like Dumba but they've got some young guys to get a deal done. That might be the best move they could make.

Edited by Hoss

I think we've been brain washed a bit by what we did. Every time there's a discussion about a team that is close but not quite there everybody immediately says they need to sell off some players and then building through down years... I think Minnesota could make vet-for-vet trades.

It would never work financially but a Parise and Suter for Malkin (and another piece like Beau Bennett) deal is interesting.

It's pretty clear that it's hard to be a middle-of-the-pack team in the playoffs and improve year by year when you're up against the cap. Teams basically need to get "lucky" and have a hot goalie. Minnesota could be that if they add some beef up the middle. Maybe they can pick up a guy like Mike Fisher to help out their bottom six and then just hope Coyle and Granlund grow.

Or, the obvious, get Ryan O'Reilly. I don't know if they'd have to give a guy like Dumba but they've got some young guys to get a deal done. That might be the best move they could make.

Well to be fair I said they should have 1 down year.  Sell your Vanek for a couple of guys that are 20ish or maybe a guy and a pick and then their ya go.  Minnesota doesn't have the depth or the centers to be anything more than they are now.  If they had some great GT and defense coming than sure but they are pretty maxed out. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.