Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

If Kessel is what Eichel is being compared to I am even more against the tank. What happened to two generational players?

Tank is usually on the money with the pro tank talk but he dropped the ball on this one. In no way other than their nationalities is kessel comparable to eichel. Maybe the fact they can both shoot too. Eichels defensive awareness, speed and physicality are vastly superior to kessel. It's a horrible comparison really.

Tank is usually on the money with the pro tank talk but he dropped the ball on this one. In no way other than their nationalities is kessel comparable to eichel. Maybe the fact they can both shoot too. Eichels defensive awareness, speed and physicality are vastly superior to kessel. It's a horrible comparison really.

To be fair all he did was mention something he heard as "interesting" to see what we thought. Not as if he made the comparison himself.

I think Eichel compares himself to Modano, right?

Connor McDavid: 15g, 34a, 17games, 2.88ptpg

Jack Eichel: 5g, 8a, 7games, 1.86ptpg

These guys are good, scary good.

I hope we all really appreciate just how hard it is for a true freshman to be among the top scorers in the nation. He just turned 18 for crissakes.

GO SABRES!!!

Wasn't my comparison. And not everybody is right, weave... Settle. I know you're just searching for a chance to put pro-tankers down. Like many.

I don't agree with the comparison, but, as I said but weave didn't read, the scoring ability is similar. If I could have Kessel's scoring ability with the vision and hard work of a guy like Getzlaf... Swoon.

To be fair all he did was mention something he heard as "interesting" to see what we thought. Not as if he made the comparison himself.

I know and as I said I agree with most of tanks posts but even mentioning a point like that just gives ammunition to anti tankers.

Wasn't my comparison. And not everybody is right, weave... Settle. I know you're just searching for a chance to put pro-tankers down. Like many.

I don't agree with the comparison, but, as I said but weave didn't read, the scoring ability is similar. If I could have Kessel's scoring ability with the vision and hard work of a guy like Getzlaf... Swoon.

Calmer than you, dude. :beer:

I know and as I said I agree with most of tanks posts but even mentioning a point like that just gives ammunition to anti tankers.

If it weren't for a Toronto-bias a comparison to Kessel wouldn't bring such severe backlash. Eichel is a far more well-rounded prospect than Kessel ever was. Kessel might be the worst-case scenario for the kid. But they do score in similar ways - nice shot with the occasional flashy goal. Eichel just brings so much more to his game than that, though.

The comparison came from a bit of workplace talk from two guys who seem to be stuck in hockey of years ago, but I thought the comparison was justified from a scoring standpoint.

People just don't like comparisons. They here "compare" and assume it's all-encompassing. You can't compare a guy without the assumption that it's meant to say that Player A is a mirror image of Player B.

(I will say that if Eichel became Kessel it would be a severe disappointment as Eichel is supposed to be a centerpiece type versus a huge contributor. Kessel would be a great player on a team that had true leaders ahead of him. Eichel is the one who knocks.)

Edited by Tankalicious

Ya I know but I just think that other than a wicked shot they are so much different in almost every other aspect.

I would say it's more than the shot. Overall, they score in similar ways. If we're building Eichelstein then his overall scoring ability may come from Kessel. Just one piece of the beast, though.

If it weren't for a Toronto-bias a comparison to Kessel wouldn't bring such severe backlash.

The backlash to a Kessel comparison is based on Kessel not being 1. a team fortunes changer and 2. a generational talent. The team he plays for has nothing to do with it,.

Edited by weave

The backlash to a Kessel comparison is based on Kessel not being 1. a team fortunes changer and 2. a generational talent. The team he plays for has nothing to do with it,.

Then why haven't you cooled after it was said multiple times that it wasn't an overall comparison? Kessel is clearly a very good player. Having a similar trait but not an overall similar game isn't a negative, by any stretch.

Then why haven't you cooled after it was said multiple times that it wasn't an overall comparison? Kessel is clearly a very good player. Having a similar trait but not an overall similar game isn't a negative, by any stretch.

Dude, how many posts did I make directly in response to the comparison? One. And it wasn't at you. It was at what you reported. The rest is reaction to the flow of the topic.

And still calmer than you. ;)

Edited by weave

Dude, how many posts did I make directly in response to the comparison? One. And it wasn't at you. It was at what you reported. The rest is reaction to the flow of the topic.

And still calmer than you. ;)

I "reported" a comparison that I found interesting and wanted to see what other's thought. Your reaction was fair and expected up until the "what happened to two generational players" like a single comparison is the end of the world for him as a generational talent.

I'm actually extremely calm. I just type like an ###### half the time.

Edited by Tankalicious

I "reported" a comparison that I found interesting and wanted to see what other's thought. Your reaction was fair and expected up until the "what happened to two generational players" like a single comparison is the end of the world for him as a generational talent.

I'm actually extremely calm. I just type like an ###### half the time.

LOL, the comparing him to a not generational player was the entire point of the reaction.

Believe me, I am not hanging on to any one or several reports on him. Rarely do reports of "this guy is like this guy" ring solid. The point was simple, and you read too much into it. Get to, this ###### we are suffering through had better result in a franchise changer, and then stop there.

:(

Don't worry. Still two generational players. Eichel isn't Kessel. He might have similarities in one or two aspects of his game -- out of a hundred. It's kind of like when somebody says "you have your father's eyes." Does that make you your father? No.

Edited by Tankalicious

Don't worry. Still two generational players. Eichel isn't Kessel. He might have similarities in one or two aspects of his game -- out of a hundred. It's kind of like when somebody says "you have your father's eyes." Does that make you your father? No.

Imagine Phil Kessel w/ 2 nuts. THAT is Eichel's floor. ;)