Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

It still very early in the season, but the Blues are playing poorly thus far. If the Isles drop back down to Earth, there is a possibility we could have 3 top-half first round picks.

I think the hockey gods are making up for many poor Isles Seasons, Chara levels John Tavares with a check and Chara is the one that tears his PCL on the play

Prospect Recap Friday Oct 24th

OHL

Zacha, Pavel C Sarina 1G 0A in 4-3 SO loss to Belleville

Strome, Dylan C Erie 2G 0A

McDavid, Connor C Erie 1G 0A

Erie defeats SSM 6-4

Marner, Mitch C London 0G 3A in 5-2 win over Ottawa

Spencer, Matthew D Peterborough 0G 2A in 6-4 win over Sudbury

QMJHL

Roy, Jérémy D Sherbrooke 0G 3Ain 6-5 win over Moncton

Meier, Timo RW Halifax 2G 1A

Carrier, Alexandre D Gatineau 1G 0A

Halifax defeats Gatineau 9-6

WHL

Bittner, Paul LW Portland 1G 1A in 5-2 win over Prince Albert

Musil, Adam C Red Deer 0G 2A in 6-3 win over Prince George

Pilon, Ryan D Brandon 0G 3A

Provorov, Ivan D Brandon 1G 0A

Gabrielle, Jesse LW Brandon 1G 0A

Brandon defeats Kamloops 8-5

Barzal, Mathew C Seattle 2G 1A in 5-3 win over Spokane

MHL

Dergachyov, Alexander C SKA 1946 2G 0A in 3-2 OT win over Dinamo-Shinnik

SHL

Kylington, Oliver D Farjestads 1G 0A in 3-2 loss to Djurgardens

NLB

Siegenthaler, Jonas D GCK Lions 0G 3A in 6-1 win over Thurgau

NCAA

Werenski, ZachD Michigan 1G 1A in 8-4 win over UMass Lowell

Hanifin, Noah D Boston College 1G 0A in 6-2 win over Colorado College

USHL

Connor, Kyle C Youngstown 1G 2A in 6-1 over Bloomington

Novak, Thomas C Waterloo 1G 0A in 3-2 loss to Fargo

Edited by Crusader1969

I'm feeling a little better about the nightmare scenario where we finish 2nd last and get pushed to the third overall pick by the lottery after reading this write-up on Noah Hanifin.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/connor-mcdavid-and-jack-eichel-are-great-but-dont-sleep-on-noah-hanifin/

The 6-foot-2, 201-pounder led the U.S. National Team Development Program’s under-17 squad in points from the blueline last season with eight goals and 33 points in 45 games and was also bumped up for the world under-18s, where he helped the Americans win gold while playing on a great pairing with recent Columbus second-rounder Ryan Collins. Hanifin led the U.S. blueline in scoring there, too.

“He’s dominant in both ends,” said one scout. “He has vision, poise with the puck and is never forced into making a bad decision. Noah is a complete, 200-foot player and he plays in all situations.”

If we end up with the no.3 pick, I think my plan would be to draft Hanifin and then move Heaven and Earth to move up with our other picks to land a top offensive talent like Barzal or Connor a few picks later.

If we keep all 5 picks I would expect at least 4 offensive players and 1 defenseman being picked. I believe we are set on goalies. But with the uncertainty of the other roster defenseman and Myers trade talk I think u need to draft another defenseman in those first 5 picks. I would love Murray to move both seconds to get another first. But he might not need to by the deadline. Who knows if he moves any of the players with expiring contracts.

If we keep all 5 picks I would expect at least 4 offensive players and 1 defenseman being picked. I believe we are set on goalies. But with the uncertainty of the other roster defenseman and Myers trade talk I think u need to draft another defenseman in those first 5 picks. I would love Murray to move both seconds to get another first. But he might not need to by the deadline. Who knows if he moves any of the players with expiring contracts.

We're definitely trading Stewart and Stafford. Neither one has a future in Buffalo. I think where there's smoke, there's fire with the Myers thing but I'm not sure GMTM will get what he's looking for. I could also see Hodgson being moved since it sounds like Ennis is the 2008 draftee they like better.

And I know this is going to make Eleven livid, but I'd still be interested in draft picks coming back in trades we make during this season. They give us the most flexibility for after this season. They'd give us what we need to move up in the 2015 draft if we have someone to target after we make our first pick and something to trade to get better immediately for 2015-2016 (i.e. picks to trade for players). I don't think teams will trade us the players we need during the season but they might after.

We're definitely trading Stewart and Stafford. Neither one has a future in Buffalo. I think where there's smoke, there's fire with the Myers thing but I'm not sure GMTM will get what he's looking for. I could also see Hodgson being moved since it sounds like Ennis is the 2008 draftee they like better.

And I know this is going to make Eleven livid, but I'd still be interested in draft picks coming back in trades we make during this season. They give us the most flexibility for after this season. They'd give us what we need to move up in the 2015 draft if we have someone to target after we make our first pick and something to trade to get better immediately for 2015-2016 (i.e. picks to trade for players). I don't think teams will trade us the players we need during the season but they might after.

NO MORE PICKS. In all seriousness, I get your point. If Murray is willing to flip picks for players after the season ends, ok.

Edited by Eleven

NO MORE PICKS. In all seriousness, I get your point. If Murray is willing to flip picks for players after the season ends, ok.

My best case scenario is that we finish dead last this season (yes, I still feel disgusting having to admit this) to get one of the generational players and then trade some of our future to make a big step forward in 2015-2016. Ideally this would be our 2016 1st rounder for a Ryan O'Reilly-type player both because a ROR-type instantly makes us more credible and because we couldn't even talk about tanking next fall.

This benefits the team because we can't have a toxic environment for the young players to play in. And mentally and emotionally, it'd be nice not to have any conflict when I'm watching these games.

My best case scenario is that we finish dead last this season (yes, I still feel disgusting having to admit this) to get one of the generational players and then trade some of our future to make a big step forward in 2015-2016. Ideally this would be our 2016 1st rounder for a Ryan O'Reilly-type player both because a ROR-type instantly makes us more credible and because we couldn't even talk about tanking next fall.

This benefits the team because we can't have a toxic environment for the young players to play in. And mentally and emotionally, it'd be nice not to have any conflict when I'm watching these games.

Yes. Draft McEichel. Trade draft picks and a couple bodies for legitimate veterans... Prosper.

I don't think we are moving that 2016 first rounder now that we are hosting the draft. Unless we get another thru a trade. Even if we land McDavid it's still going to be bad next year. It's not a playoff team. I still think we have all this season and next before u see major improvement. They are all about giving the kids time to develop that won't be a need to rush these kids anymore. This is like an expansion team right now with a lot of picks.

I can totally see why he doesn't want anymore picks because eventually you need roster players. Picks are gonna be 1-3 years to develop and I don't think fans want to see 3 more years of this $hit! It's going to be interesting to see how this season all plays out with the expiring contracts.

I don't think we are moving that 2016 first rounder now that we are hosting the draft. Unless we get another thru a trade. Even if we land McDavid it's still going to be bad next year. It's not a playoff team. I still think we have all this season and next before u see major improvement. They are all about giving the kids time to develop that won't be a need to rush these kids anymore. This is like an expansion team right now with a lot of picks.

I can totally see why he doesn't want anymore picks because eventually you need roster players. Picks are gonna be 1-3 years to develop and I don't think fans want to see 3 more years of this $hit! It's going to be interesting to see how this season all plays out with the expiring contracts.

We probably won't trade it anyway for the second reason you laid out: we probably still aren't in the playoffs next season. The 2016 lottery is for the top three picks -- i.e. the 14 non-playoff picks go in a (weighted) hat and they draw out the first three. So if you miss the playoffs, you can still draft in the top 3.

And I'm probably going overboard anyway since the chances of a player worth our 2016 1st being available via trade might be slim. But I still want the team to move future assets next summer to get better for 2015-2016 because we're a toxic environment right now. We need an environment where our young players can flourish.

Identify the key prospects we build around and move the guys we probably can't. We've had so many extra picks these last few years that there literally isn't room for all these guys on the Sabres if they all develop anyway.

I personally like the college kids we have coming. I know they might not be ready for alittle while but I think they are going to be huge for us in the future. I'm talking Compher, Fausching, Hurley, and Floretino.

You're going to love this article from The Hockey News then. I just came across this this morning when I was reading up on Hanifin.

The 50 NCAA players you need to know this season:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/the-50-ncaa-players-you-need-to-know-this-season/

15. J.T. Compher, Michigan – Gritty, annoying and talented, Compher is a Buffalo prospect who will be key to Team USA’s forward corps at the world juniors.

16. Hudson Fasching, Minnesota – Tank-sized power forward was brilliant at 2014 world juniors. Rights strangely traded from Los Angeles to Buffalo last season.

32. Connor Hurley, Notre Dame – Buffalo pick set for his freshman season with Irish, where he’ll bring speed and vision up front.

36. Anthony Florentino, Providence College – Buffalo pick looked great as a freshman on defense. He hits hard and can contribute in all areas of the game.

Other interesting names on the list are Eichel (no.1), Hanifin (no.2), and Dylan Larkin (no.4). The high ranking for Larkin makes me like the idea of him as the centerpiece of a Myers trade a little more.

Nice to see the Florentino getting some attention too.

Prospect Recap Saturday Oct 25th

Marner, Mitch C London 1G 2A in 5-1 win over Belleville

Strome, Dylan C Erie 1G 3A

McDavid, Connor C Erie 1G 3A

Erie defeats Sudbury 8-1

Franzén, Gustaf C Kitchener 1G 0A in 5-3 win over Plymouth

Korostelev, Nikita RW Sarnia 1G 0A in 6-1 loss to Ottawa

Speers, Blake C Sault Ste. Marie 0G 2A in 4-2 win over Peterborough

QMJHL

Carrier, Alexandre D Gatineau 1G 0A in 4-3 loss to Shawinigan

Meloche, Nicolas D Baie-Comeau 1G 0A

Noel, Nathan C Saint John 1G 1A

Zboril, Jakub D Saint John 1G 0A

Saint John defeats Baie-Comeau 6-2

Sprong, Daniel RW Charlottetown 1G 1A in 4-3 loss to Quebec

WHL

Karnaukhov, Pavel C Calgary 2G 1A in 7-5 loss to Medicine Hat

Merkley, Nick C Kelowna 1G 3A in 6-1 victory over Brandon

NCAA

Werenski, Zach D Michigan 1G 1A

Eichel, Jack C Boston U 1G 0A

Boston U defeats Michigan 3-2

Hanifin, Noah D Boston College 0G 2A in 4-1 over UMass

SuperElit

Forsberg, Fredrik RW Leksands 1G 0A in 3-1 loss to Modo

UHSL

Connor, Kyle C Youngstown 0G 2A in 5-3 win over Bloomington

PROSPECT RECAP Sunday Oct 26th

OHL

Konecny, Travis C Ottawa 1G 1A

Franzén, Gustaf C Kitchener 1G 1A

Kitchener defeats Ottawa 6-2

Crouse, Lawson LW Kingston 1G 0A in 5-2 win over Oshawa

Marner, Mitch RW London 1G 1A in 7-1 win over Guelph

QMJHL

Meloche, Nicolas D Baie-Comeau 1G 0A in 4-3 win over Acadie-Bathurst

Sprong, Daniel RW Charlottetown 1G 1A in 2-1 win over Cape Breton

Carrier, Alexandre D Gatineau 1G 2A in 6-4 over Sherbrooke

Allsvenskan

Kovacs, Robin LW AIK 1G 0A in 3-2 win over Oskarshamn

SuperElit

Ahi, Filip LW HV-71 1G 0A in 3-2 win over Malmo

im starting to think that if we end up with Hanifan it won't be that bad, especially if we can flip Myers for a winger like Larkin or Mantha. I know I am probably trying to soften the blow if we don't in fact land either Eichel or McDavid but 3 centres of the future - Rienhart, Grigs and Z may actually be elite all by themselves.

"Hanifin is a shade under 6-foot-3 and weighs 205 pounds. The scouting report says he has world-class wheels, elite offensive skills, can run a power play and use his size effectively to play physically when it's required. He's not quite as big as Nashville Predator Seth Jones, the last prospect, before Hanifin, who went into his NHL draft year billed as the next great American defenceman. Some scouts like Hanifin better than Jones at the same stage of development"

I'd be very disappointed if we missed out on one of the top two after all of this. We'd become the anti-Edmonton. All defense with no forwards. Hanifin looks like a great prospect and likely would've been taken ahead of Ekblad, but I don't think he's what we need.

im starting to think that if we end up with Hanifan it won't be that bad, especially if we can flip Myers for a winger like Larkin or Mantha. I know I am probably trying to soften the blow if we don't in fact land either Eichel or McDavid but 3 centres of the future - Rienhart, Grigs and Z may actually be elite all by themselves.

"Hanifin is a shade under 6-foot-3 and weighs 205 pounds. The scouting report says he has world-class wheels, elite offensive skills, can run a power play and use his size effectively to play physically when it's required. He's not quite as big as Nashville Predator Seth Jones, the last prospect, before Hanifin, who went into his NHL draft year billed as the next great American defenceman. Some scouts like Hanifin better than Jones at the same stage of development"

Right now Carolina is this year's version of last year's Sabres. So if the worst we can do is 2nd last in the league, that means we have a roughly 2/3 chance of drafting third.

If it's Hanifin, GMTM will have to work some magic and get some trades down. Either to move up in the draft to select a Barzal or Connor or to bring in a Larkin-type.

I'd be very disappointed if we missed out on one of the top two after all of this. We'd become the anti-Edmonton. All defense with no forwards. Hanifin looks like a great prospect and likely would've been taken ahead of Ekblad, but I don't think he's what we need.

if they trade Myers then a guy like Hanifin would be what is needed. Plus I don't think saying no forwards is quite accurate either. They took Reinhart, Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek in top 2 rounds last year. Compher, Hurley Bailey and Baptiste in 2013. Grigorenko and Girgensons in 2012 and Armia in 20111. I can't forget the Swedish Stamkos either!

Throw in Fashing and assuming a high end forward prospect for Myers, plus 2 more 1st and 3 seconds next year - hardly Anti-Edmonton.

That said - still prefer McDavid or Eichel just preparing for the worst (but not so bad possibility of drafting 3rd)

if they trade Myers then a guy like Hanifin would be what is needed. Plus I don't think saying no forwards is quite accurate either. They took Reinhart, Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek in top 2 rounds last year. Compher, Hurley Bailey and Baptiste in 2013. Grigorenko and Girgensons in 2012 and Armia in 20111. I can't forget the Swedish Stamkos either!

Throw in Fashing and assuming a high end forward prospect for Myers, plus 2 more 1st and 3 seconds next year - hardly Anti-Edmonton.

That said - still prefer McDavid or Eichel just preparing for the worst (but not so bad possibility of drafting 3rd)

Even without Myers this team still needs an elite forward versus a dman. Risto, Zadorov, McCabe and Pysyk. Guys like Lemieux/Karabacek/Cornel don't factor in here because we really have no clue if they'll ever make it to the league. We need top-end forwards while those guys are likely bottom-six at best.

Based on what is being talked about in the media we won't be getting any elite forwards for Myers which is why we should just keep him.

Hanifin is a fine player, but I would be disappointed. We didn't go through all tbis ###### for another defensive prospect. It's time for the franchise-changing forward.

Even without Myers this team still needs an elite forward versus a dman. Risto, Zadorov, McCabe and Pysyk. Guys like Lemieux/Karabacek/Cornel don't factor in here because we really have no clue if they'll ever make it to the league. We need top-end forwards while those guys are likely bottom-six at best.

Based on what is being talked about in the media we won't be getting any elite forwards for Myers which is why we should just keep him.

Hanifin is a fine player, but I would be disappointed. We didn't go through all tbis ###### for another defensive prospect. It's time for the franchise-changing forward.

Well, yeah, but it's completely out of our hands. Carolina looks worse than us and then we'll need luck in the lottery.