Elmira Jackals (ECHL) to affiliate with Buffalo Sabres

26CornerBlitz

Going by the standards set by other ECHL teams, I'm thankful they're not the Elmira Ice Eels.

If it was my team, I'd model my sweaters after the Amerks' and name them the Elmira Eagles.

They probably wouldn't do that because the Elmira College D3 hockey teams are the Soaring Eagles.

Edited by qwksndmonster

They probably wouldn't do that because the Elmira College D3 hockey teams are the Soaring Eagles.

I did not know they even had a team, and yeah, I guess that would keep them from going with Eagles...

The alliteration in the nickname appeals to me but outside of cheesy sounding names better suited for cheerleading teams (Elmira Express or Elmira Explosion), I can't come up with anything.

EDIT: Use the 'M' in Elmira and name them the Elmira Monarchs with sweaters modeled on the Sabres originals. The logo would be shield-shaped to pay homage to the Amerks and represent a coat of arms and have a crown in the middle with "Elmira" on it. I don't know if it would be popular, but it's fun thinking about. Now all I need to do is hit the lottery and make it reality.

Edited by Campy

I did not know they even had a team, and yeah, I guess that would keep them from going with Eagles...

The alliteration in the nickname appeals to me but outside of cheesy sounding names better suited for cheerleading teams (Elmira Express or Elmira Explosion), I can't come up with anything.

EDIT: Use the 'M' in Elmira and name them the Elmira Monarchs with sweaters modeled on the Sabres originals. The logo would be shield-shaped to pay homage to the Amerks and represent a coat of arms and have a crown in the middle with "Elmira" on it. I don't know if it would be popular, but it's fun thinking about. Now all I need to do is hit the lottery and make it reality.

The Elmira War Prison? That would be a cool sweater like no other.

The Elmira Elviras. The name comes with a natural mascot.

Interesting. Not sure it will make our Jackals any better because the guys owning the team don't have much of an idea about hockey. Yes there was a rumor Pegula would buy the team/arena. That was back in 2012. Wish it was true. It would bring some longer term stability. I wonder if we will see Tuzzolino here as he spent much of last year with the Amerks. The jersey has looked better, they have changed it so many times. It looked way better 2 years ago, have no idea what the new owners were thinking, even the font on these ones look cheap. I hope the team is watchable. Last years team was as bad as the Sabes, a head to head may have been interesting. Lol

No season can be worse than the one the Jackals just played, which was Sabres-esque even by ECHL standards. Colin Jacobs was the only Sabres prospect on the squad, now we can look forward to Christian Isaacson and Logan Nelson in a year or so.

We weren't supposed to have Sabres prospects that's why. The team was really weak though. They had very little ECHL talent and the coach was awful. It didn't help the assistant was a guy who has seen nothing beyond D3 Hockey and was only committed to home games. I wish Craig Rivet would come back to coach. No idea who will be the coach but i'll bet money it's not Dwight Mullins. The Sabres want one of their guys or input anyway, that wont help Dwight.

A Jackels game at FNC next year?

Highly doubt the sheep would be interested in watching snoozefest ECHL Hockey and I cant imagine people in this town liking losing a home game.

But I did read something in Sunday's paper about a preseason game maybe between the Jackals and Americans. Man if the Amerks don't roll something is wrong. Theres also a lot of promises about coaches and system and trainers and resources. Cant forget "famous alumni" whoever that would be. I just hope they get us a big name head coach. Still on the CRAIG RIVET bandwagon.

Highly doubt the sheep would be interested in watching snoozefest ECHL Hockey and I cant imagine people in this town liking losing a home game.

But I did read something in Sunday's paper about a preseason game maybe between the Jackals and Americans. Man if the Amerks don't roll something is wrong. Theres also a lot of promises about coaches and system and trainers and resources. Cant forget "famous alumni" whoever that would be. I just hope they get us a big name head coach. Still on the CRAIG RIVET bandwagon.

Guess we now know what job in the organization they offered Sacco.

Oh people would go to see an ECHL game is the Sabres are out of town, out of curiosity at least. Look at the crowds the Amerks pull. I have to imagine TP is going to put resources in Elmira if those are mostly Sabres prospects there. Why wouldn't he? Make the Sabres a top notch operation top to bottom.

PTR

Oh people would go to see an ECHL game is the Sabres are out of town, out of curiosity at least. Look at the crowds the Amerks pull. I have to imagine TP is going to put resources in Elmira if those are mostly Sabres prospects there. Why wouldn't he? Make the Sabres a top notch operation top to bottom.

PTR

A good number of people know the names of random players on the Amerks. The same won't be said about the Jackals. Let's face it, the guys on that team face the longest of odds of ever making the NHL and no one will have a clue who any of them are. If they ever wanted to bring them in town for a game, it would have to be at the Harborcenter. That's not going to happen either.

Maybe Rochester fans might be more interested in seeing a game in their arena. But really, these games need to be left in their own arena, Amerks games too. A lockout is the only reason to be moving games around.

Last Saturday I went to drop in and the lady at the front desk of the rec rink (still part of the first arena) told me I couldn't have outside food or beverage. I held up my clear jug and said "It's alright this is just water." Then she told me again I couldn't have outside food or beverage. I laughed at her and told her she can't tell me not to bring water to hockey, then I walked past her to the locker room. They also opened a bar in the arena last summer that served as a way to get into games for free this season. Only during the last 2 games did they have employees standing by the door between the bar and the concourse during the 1st period.

I'll start believing that the Jackals can become a competent organization when ownership starts getting the easy little stuff right. I don't think a Sabres affiliation means as much some think it means.

I'm surprised to read that. It was some years ago, but before they made the jump to the 'A' the Norfolk/Hampton Roads Admirals sold out The Scope most nights and the games were very exciting.

I think a big part of the draw was all of the fighting that used to take place in the 'E' and it helped create an exciting atmosphere - especially when the Richmond Renegades made the 90 minute trip down - it seemed like Admirals coach John Brophy (formerly coach of the B's) throwing sticks on the ice and getting ejected and multiple line brawls were the norm. For a lot of ECHL players their only chance to make it to the National League were fisticuffs, so there was plenty of goonery.

After the Admirals moved to the 'A' the attendance and enthusiasm took a big hit. The locals seemed to watch hockey for the fights like I watch NASCAR for the wrecks. I think most were reluctant to spend the extra $3-5 per ticket and higher concession prices when most of them just couldn't appreciate the difference in the quality of hockey.

I don't know if ECHL hockey is a snoozefest just in Elmira or if it's like that everywhere, but I'm hoping for the former because, for all of its faults, it was an entertaining brand of hockey.

Edited by Campy

I'm surprised to read that. It was some years ago, but before they made the jump to the 'A' the Norfolk/Hampton Roads Admirals sold out The Scope most nights and the games were very exciting.

I think a big part of the draw was all of the fighting that used to take place in the 'E' and it helped create an exciting atmosphere - especially when the Richmond Renegades made the 90 minute trip down - it seemed like Admirals coach John Brophy (formerly coach of the B's) throwing sticks on the ice and getting ejected and multiple line brawls were the norm. For a lot of ECHL players their only chance to make it to the National League were fisticuffs, so there was plenty of goonery.

After the Admirals moved to the 'A' the attendance and enthusiasm took a big hit. The locals seemed to watch hockey for the fights like I watch NASCAR for the wrecks. I think most were reluctant to spend the extra $3-5 per ticket and higher concession prices when most of them just couldn't appreciate the difference in the quality of hockey.

I don't know if ECHL hockey is a snoozefest just in Elmira or if it's like that everywhere, but I'm hoping for the former because, for all of its faults, it was an entertaining brand of hockey.

The league has become much like the AHL sadly. All focused on development. Was a different league back then when cities like Johnstown were the norm. Now they try to go bigger and better for everything.

Last Saturday I went to drop in and the lady at the front desk of the rec rink (still part of the first arena) told me I couldn't have outside food or beverage. I held up my clear jug and said "It's alright this is just water." Then she told me again I couldn't have outside food or beverage. I laughed at her and told her she can't tell me not to bring water to hockey, then I walked past her to the locker room. They also opened a bar in the arena last summer that served as a way to get into games for free this season. Only during the last 2 games did they have employees standing by the door between the bar and the concourse during the 1st period.

I'll start believing that the Jackals can become a competent organization when ownership starts getting the easy little stuff right. I don't think a Sabres affiliation means as much some think it means.

People gave the Afrs a lot of crap because the arena went to hell. The team was generally good. You can tell they were focused on the team. At the end of the day hockey always was and will be the bread and butter for that arena making money. Its too small to get many acts here. Its, its own worst enemy. The problem with these owners is they are too busy sextifying the arena. While the bar wasn't bad and has decent food the hockey team was a joke. They know nothing about hockey and had no hockey people. They canned Nichols. Dwight Mullins was a joke. He was Malcolm Cameron except Cameron could recruit he just couldn't recruit.

Wish they would have sols the team. Would have allowed them to focus on thw arena and would have changed the roster. Only team in the AHL players could go up to would be Rochester now if they aren't 2 way with Rochester or Sabres property they can go to any other AHL team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.