Elmira Jackals (ECHL) to affiliate with Buffalo Sabres

26CornerBlitz

If the AHL West ever happens I think Alaska will soon enough be out. Don't think they would be so great as an Eastern team. Way harder conference.

Maybe then the Amerks can finally get out of the "west" and play teams like Syracuse, Binghamton and Utica witin their division instead of the interconference battles they have with them now.

Maybe then the Amerks can finally get out of the "west" and play teams like Syracuse, Binghamton and Utica witin their division instead of the interconference battles they have with them now.

I don't even understand why this hasn't happened yet. The in state rivalry would be great for the fan bases. Just like Bandits/Nighthawks for lacrosse.

Edited by d4rksabre

• 4 weeks later...

Mullins leaves Jackals to coach Evansville: http://www.stargazet...?nclick_check=1

The Elmira Jackals will need a new head coach after the Evansville IceMen announced Thursday that Dwight Mullins will become their head coach and director of hockey operations.

Mullins, 47, coached the Jackals the past two seasons, going 64-65-15 in that span. He led Elmira to the playoffs in 2012-13 but didn’t qualify for the postseason this year, the first time that’s happened to the Jackals since they joined the ECHL for the 2007-08 season.

The Jackals are already in the process of filling the opening. The Buffalo Sabres, who in April became Elmira’s NHL affiliate, are playing a role in the search.

Joe Battista, the Sabres vice president of hockey-related businesses, said candidates are already being considered.

• 2 weeks later...

Elmira Jackals Announce First Signing Of The Season

Lucas Bloodoff Brings a Warrior’s Mentality to Elmira

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

ELMIRA, N.Y. - The Elmira Jackals announced today that rookie forward Lucas Bloodoff has signed a Standard Player Contract for the 2014-2015 campaign. Bloodoff is the Jackals' first signing for the upcoming season.

"We are thrilled to have Lucas join the Elmira Jackals organization," said Jackals owner Nate Cook. "His drive and determination exemplifies the new image we are committed to on and off the ice."

Bloodoff, 25, joins the Elmira Jackals organization following a successful four-year career at Saint Mary's University in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport ranks.

"I could not be more excited to be part of the Elmira Jackals and the Buffalo Sabres organization," said Bloodoff. "When the opportunity came to sign with Elmira I was immediately excited because it was a team we were hoping to be a part of after I graduated from [saint Mary's] University in Halifax. I have heard nothing but great things about the Elmira organization and I am very excited to be a part of the family and bring what I can to the team next season."

The Castlegar, BC native recorded 99 points (47 goals, 52 assists) in 109 career games for the Huskies. This past year Bloodoff was labeled the team captain after two seasons with the alternate captain patch on his sweater. He posted a career-high 20 goals, 18 assists and 38 points in the 2012-2013 season. That season Bloodoff was named to the AUS First All-Star Team, the CIS All-Canadian First Team and was awarded the Kelly Trophy as the AUS Most Valuable Player as well as the Senator Joseph A. Sullivan Trophy as the CIS Player of the Year.

Prior to attending Saint Mary's University, Bloodoff notched 124 points (64 goals, 60 assists) and 356 penalty minutes in 259 games as a member of the Kelowna Rockets of the Western Hockey League. Skating alongside his brother Evan, who plays for the Florida Everblades, Bloodoff helped the Rockets win the WHL Championship in 2008-2009.

Elmira Jackals Name Jamie Russell New Head Coach

Russell Becomes the 11th Head Coach in Jackals History ELMIRA, N.Y. - June 27, 2014 - The Elmira Jackals announced today that they have named Jamie Russell the 11th head coach in Elmira Jackals history.

"We could not be more excited to have Jamie [Russell] on board as our new head coach," said Jackals owner Nate Cook. "The Buffalo Sabres organization gave us tremendous support and assistance throughout the entire search process. After a lengthy round of interviews, we agreed with the Buffalo organization that Jamie [Russell] was our number one coaching candidate."

893.jpg?a=1117772766514Russell spent the last three seasons as an assistant coach at Providence College.

The Elmira Jackals ownership worked in conjunction with the Buffalo Sabres organization throughout the coaching search. A couple of Sabres executives played key roles in narrowing down the qualified candidates as well as providing insight and input during the interviewing process.

"I'm extremely excited for this opportunity," said Russell. "I want to thank Tom Freeman and Nate Cook as well as the Buffalo Sabres organization - Joe Battista and Toby O'Brien. The Jackals will be reborn with this ownership group, the Sabres affiliation and a new coach. We have the opportunity to build something very special. We will be a team that plays the game with passion and an outstanding work ethic and we will make First Arena a tough place to play. I am excited to get going and start laying the foundation to build a championship culture."

Russell, 47, joins the Jackals following three seasons as an assistant coach at Providence College. While there he coached and developed a stout defensive unit that allowed the seventh-fewest goals in the NCAA last season. The Kamloops, British Columbia native also coached the team's penalty killing unit, which ranked third in the nation in 2014. He contributed to a program-record three consecutive Hockey East semifinal appearances, helped guide the Friars last year to their first NCAA tournament since 2001 and in that same season posted the third highest win total in program history.

"On behalf of the Sabres, we are really excited to welcome Coach Russell into the family," said Buffalo Sabres Vice President of Hockey Operations Joe Battista. "He brings the experience as a player and coach and a tremendous network of coaches and players throughout the hockey world. His experience in recruiting and developing young players is outstanding and the fans of Elmira will enjoy the energy and style of play his teams will bring to the arena."

894.jpg?a=1117772766514Russell ranked second in Michigan Tech program history for career wins.

Russell brings some head coaching experience with him to the Jackals' bench, as well. He was the bench boss at Michigan Tech University from 2003-2011. During his tenure there he ranked second in program history for career wins, was named the 2007 WCHA Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the 2007 NCAA National Coach of the Year. In the 2006-2007 season, Russell steered the Huskies to the their highest season win total since 1995 and recorded their best conference finish since 1992. He coached one Hobey Baker Award finalist, two All-Americans, five All-WCHA selections, 60 WCHA All-Academic selections and 16 WCHA Scholar athletes.

"I've known Jamie for a long time as a coach and person, he brings character, commitment and leadership that the players and fans of Elmira will really like," said Buffalo Sabres NCAA and USA scout Toby O'Brien. "The big thing is that I feel he is truly excited about the opportunity to build a strong and winning program in Elmira. It's been a pleasure to be part of the selection process."

Russell also has roots in the region dating back to his stint as the lead assistant coach at Cornell University from 1999-2003. He helped mold Cornell into a national powerhouse during his time there.Russell was responsible for the NCAA's top ranked scoring defense and the nation's top ranked penalty kill unit. The Big Red qualified for two NCAA tournaments, advanced to one Frozen Four appearance, won two ECAC regular season championships, the 2003 ECAC Tournament championship and was ranked number one in the nation for the first time in program history. Prior to joining Cornell's staff Russell served as an assistant coach at Ferris State University from 1994-1999.

Russell does bring ECHL experience to Elmira from his playing days. The former defenseman spent two seasons with the Winston-Salem Thunderbirds. He recorded 25 points (6 goals, 19 assists) and 66 penalty minutes in 64 games and captained the Thunderbirds during the 1989-90 campaign. Russell also played four games in the American Hockey League with the Binghamton Whalers during the 1989-90 season. He played his collegiate hockey at Michigan Tech from 1986-89.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.