[REPORT]Nolan going to Fire the Whole Staff

gregkash

WGR reports that Ted Nolan is going to fire the whole staff, assistant coaches, goalie coach, trainer, everyone.

For me, this couldn't come too soon. Nothing against Numminen, Sacco, etc.. but I really feel like it's going to be a new team next year with all the changes and kids coming and I want a fresh start in the coaches as well.

The biggest thing that's interesting to me is firing the strength and conditioning coach Doug McKinney. I think he's been here like 20 years or something and for several years I've felt the Sabres are slower, weaker and more injury prone than most NHL teams. Nolan has stated he doesn't feel the Sabres are in good shape and that comes down to either the players not being dedicated enough or the coach not putting them into the right program. I'm leaning towards the coach right now because a lot of our team are young guns who are obviously trying on the ice.

I don't think there's going to be many people against this move if it happens, but I for one am really looking forward to it. Artus Irbe like the article mentions is surely a lock for the goalie coach position, no idea on assistants or a new strength coach but I really think there's nowhere to go but up there.

Thoughts, opinions?

gregkash! How's it going in LA?

PS: Newer folks, google this guy. He's got some funny material out there.

Ok. Back to Nolan. I heard he's going to fire the whole staff.

His profile thingy says he's in Tampon Springs, FL.

I agree, he is funny. Even if he lives in a place with a lamo namo.

WGR reports that Ted Nolan is going to fire the whole staff, assistant coaches, goalie coach, trainer, everyone.

For me, this couldn't come too soon. Nothing against Numminen, Sacco, etc.. but I really feel like it's going to be a new team next year with all the changes and kids coming and I want a fresh start in the coaches as well.

The biggest thing that's interesting to me is firing the strength and conditioning coach Doug McKinney. I think he's been here like 20 years or something and for several years I've felt the Sabres are slower, weaker and more injury prone than most NHL teams. Nolan has stated he doesn't feel the Sabres are in good shape and that comes down to either the players not being dedicated enough or the coach not putting them into the right program. I'm leaning towards the coach right now because a lot of our team are young guns who are obviously trying on the ice.

I don't think there's going to be many people against this move if it happens, but I for one am really looking forward to it. Artus Irbe like the article mentions is surely a lock for the goalie coach position, no idea on assistants or a new strength coach but I really think there's nowhere to go but up there.

Thoughts, opinions?

I'd agree with this.

Injuries have been everywhere the past 5-7 seasons, this does not come down to tough luck alone.

These guys:

Assistant Coaches - Teppo Numminen, Joe Sacco, Jerry Forton

Player Development Coach - Dennis Miller

Strength & Conditioning Coach - Doug McKenney

Asst. Strength & Conditioning Coach - J.T. Allaire

Goaltender Coach - Jim Corsi

Administrative Assistant Coach - Corey Smith

or are there more that Nolan can "control"?

I'd be the first one to jump on the good riddance to Doug McKenney train. I've felt for years now that this team hasn't been as well conditioned as other teams, which has contributed to increased injuries and generally poor play.

Agreed. Also, "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen."

Corsi, and maybe Sacco (Teppo would be nice cause he was a good leader when playing here) are the only ones I may consider keeping if it was my choice, unless significant upgrades were available

Word seems to be that Irbe will be coming in as the goaltending coach since Nolan liked him from his Latvian staff. Don't know if he is a huge improvement but also can't say he will be much of a step down

As for the strength and conditioning/training guys, when it comes to injuries, you have to take a look at the kinds of injuries they are getting and evaluate. When you see alot of guys pulling/tweaking muscles, or they appear out of shape and tired, then thats the coaching. If the majority of injures are from hits (concussions, broken bones, pulls/strains from players falling on the goalies, etc) then its hard to blame the training staff for those

I have been thinking a lot about this. It is scary and could blow up in our face but after finishing a season with the worst team the NHL has since in 70+ years, they should be fired and fresh eyes should be brought in. I understand we had no talent but it is easier to change coaches so, goodbye to all.

I have been thinking a lot about this. It is scary and could blow up in our face but after finishing a season with the worst team the NHL has since in 70+ years, they should be fired and fresh eyes should be brought in. I understand we had no talent but it is easier to change coaches so, goodbye to all.

I agree with this. We're already overturning the roster so much. You might as well let the coach bring in his people that share his vision of the team to move forward. I think that is the best way to restructure and rebuild a team.

Refresh my memory on this one, but I seem to remember Irbe playing a very acrobatic flopping style, almost in that Hasek mold. That style never screams goalie coach to me. But hey, if this happens, our goalies will never buy a new pair of pads ever again.

I don't quite remember him as a Hasek style "flopper", closest comparrison I remember with him to Hasek was the mask IIRC

Player Development Coach - Dennis Miller

"This Pegula cat is really out there......firing Pat Lafontaine after 2 months??? Really Terry?......at least Jimmy Stewart had the common decency to let Clarence watch Donna Reed take her nightly Rinso until she had "the change". I mean come'on now......you don't think if Patty could have done it over, he wouldn't be up on the Skyway, yelling, "Go for it Terry!....Rico's got a Bud waiting for you....."

"This Pegula cat is really out there......firing Pat Lafontaine after 2 months??? Really Terry?......at least Jimmy Stewart had the common decency to let Clarence watch Donna Reed take her nightly Rinso until she had "the change". I mean come'on now......you don't think if Patty could have done it over, he wouldn't be up on the Skyway, yelling, "Go for it Terry!....Rico's got a Bud waiting for you....."

outstanding.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.