Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

I'm really disillusioned by this news. Just when I was thinking the Bills were putting key cogs together, they lose a major cog to a work out injury. I used to fear the training camp injury. Now we have to worry about the off season workout injury.

Edited by wjag

I like Alonso a lot and I think he has a great future, but I'm not going to throw away the season because of his injury, I think Bradham is going to fill in nicely. Bradham may not have Alonso "football IQ", but he may be better athletically. Alonso struggled the last 1/4 of the season, it may have been fatigue, but who knows, he had a hard time with over pursuing and angles. As I said, I think he is going to be a top LB, but right now, he's not irreplaceable.

Well, for some old business - I didn't catch this when it happened a couple weeks back. I guess the Texans needed themselves some bearded Amish rifle.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11097727/ryan-fitzpatrick-named-houston-texans-starting-qb?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Texans signed Fitzpatrick as their starting QB.

Edited by Jsixspd

im sure this has been talked about, but we all know the importance of superstars/playmakers in sports. Thats the whole reason for the sabres tank. We want that true stud superstar. Not a couple players that a few notches below a superstar. No one would have gotten upset if the sabres would have moved up to the top 3 to get another superstar if they had a chance.

Then why so much negativity for the bills doing the exact same thing to get the best playmaker in the draft? The past eight years we have drafted what 9, 11, 10, 3, 9, 11, 11, 12? Its not like we have a consistently having a top 3 pick. So we moved up to the top 3 at the cost of giving up next years draft. If the sabres or any other nfl team did this, then it would have been praised. Why is this seen as such an overpayment and why the negativity?

Honestly looking for opinions, i dont get it

im sure this has been talked about, but we all know the importance of superstars/playmakers in sports. Thats the whole reason for the sabres tank. We want that true stud superstar. Not a couple players that a few notches below a superstar. No one would have gotten upset if the sabres would have moved up to the top 3 to get another superstar if they had a chance.

Then why so much negativity for the bills doing the exact same thing to get the best playmaker in the draft? The past eight years we have drafted what 9, 11, 10, 3, 9, 11, 11, 12? Its not like we have a consistently having a top 3 pick. So we moved up to the top 3 at the cost of giving up next years draft. If the sabres or any other nfl team did this, then it would have been praised. Why is this seen as such an overpayment and why the negativity?

I honestly liked it, and like you don't understand the negativity around it. He was the top rated WR in the draft.

The talent dropoff in the NFL first round pales in comparison to the NHL.

And they traded up to fill the 5th or 6th most important position.

Because 2 first-rounders for a WR is way too much.

I'm going to like Sammy.

I'm going to hate not having a first-round pick next year.

And what GCoE said, too.

Edited by Eleven

Schwartz may be very good but he's taking on a project since the team is switching back to a 4-3 when they clearly fit a 3-4. Their biggest playmaker signed with the Saints and their second best defensive player just lost his season. Good luck. This defense will be historically terrible. Especially if Dareus misses time.

I agree that Byrd was a big loss, but I think Mario is better and more important than Kiko and I'm confident that this D will be better than at least 2 of the defenses out of the 5 years immediately prior to last season.

While I certainly disagree with your assessment of Williams stealing the show from Byrd, that drop-off isn't what we should worry about. You alluded to it at the end: going from a Byrd-Williams safety tandem to Williams-Searcy/Williams. That's brutal. Our D is set to go from elite against the pass but awful against the run, to completely the opposite.

This D wasn't elite at anything last year and it sho' nuff won't be elite at anything this year.

I feel bad for Kiko, but let's be honest, the Bills were going to win 6-7 games with or without him. It's what they do.

Correct. It won't change until there is new ownership and Brandon and Whaley are gone.

In the abstract your point is not unreasonable. Couple of thoughts:

1. I (and I think many others) think that the Bills tend to make poor decisions generally -- so I am not inclined to believe that this player will turn out to have been worth the price they paid, which was steep.

2. The most likely outcome is that the Bills get sold, win their usual 5 to 7 games, and the new owner decides to put his own president/GM in place. That new regime is going to be handicapped by not having a #1 pick -- which will probably be a top-8 pick and could be a top-5 pick -- in its first draft.

The talent dropoff in the NFL first round pales in comparison to the NHL.

And they traded up to fill the 5th or 6th most important position.

I agree on the talent dropoff, but not that WR is the 5th or 6th most important position. After QB, I'd probably go pass-rushing DE, run-stuffing NT/DT, and then playmaker WR.

I agree on the talent dropoff, but not that WR is the 5th or 6th most important position. After QB, I'd probably go pass-rushing DE, run-stuffing NT/DT, and then playmaker WR.

I'd put OT ahead of WR to make them 5th, some would put Corner ahead as well to make them 6th.

FWIW, by Salaries, NFL GMs put them 5th behind QB. DE, LB, and CB

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-nfls-highest-paid-positions-2013-10

:lol: The endless lament. "Nothing will change until (insert names here) are gone! Like a broken record.

You find this amusing? Do you think the Bills are a well-run franchise? Do you think they are going to be good this year?

Maybe the broken record keeps saying the same thing because the same thing continues to be true.

You find this amusing? Do you think the Bills are a well-run franchise? Do you think they are going to be good this year?

Maybe the broken record keeps saying the same thing because the same thing continues to be true.

I like Whaley even if I don't like the Watkins move (or the S. Johnson move, for that matter). And with a healthy Alonso, I think they would have competed for a wild card spot. It will be interesting to see what Preston can do.

Edited by Eleven

Yes I do find it amusing, in fact. It's hilarious to me how the answer is always to fire everyone after every season. Maybe it's because every other regime failed after 3 years that we just want to flush it now and not give it any time.

Do I think the Bills are well run? I do now. I think Whaley is a solid GM executing a well thought out plan. The current regime has nothing to do with the playoff drought. In fact they are being more aggressive than ever to end that drought. You would think fans would appreciate that.

But some people would rather be depressed, I guess.

It may not have been historically great, but it was top-5 against the pass last year by both traditional and advanced metrics. That's elite to me.

But if a defense finishes #20 in scoring D, can a segment of that defense really be considered "elite?"

I would say the pass rush was much improved and the 2ndary pass D was pretty good, but I just can't see using the word "elite" to describe any major component of a D that overall was mediocre (which itself was a step up from the terrible D displayed over the previous 5 years or so, but still nothing to write home about).

Yes I do find it amusing, in fact. It's hilarious to me how the answer is always to fire everyone after every season. Maybe it's because every other regime failed after 3 years that we just want to flush it now and not give it any time.

Do I think the Bills are well run? I do now. I think Whaley is a solid GM executing a well thought out plan. The current regime has nothing to do with the playoff drought. In fact they are being more aggressive than ever to end that drought. You would think fans would appreciate that.

But some people would rather be depressed, I guess.

Brandon has been with the team since 2006. Whaley since 2010.

Were they "aggressive" about keeping Byrd?

I'd rather be optimistic than pessimistic about the Bills, but I need also to be realistic.