Sabres Statistics: Stafford's Career Year

Johnny DangerFace

So this is the thread where we take a look at some sabre-related statistics. If you have a question that you want statistically analyzed, then bring it up!

Completed Stats

1. Was Stafford's 30 goal season (62 games) in 2010 statistically different than the rest of his career?

2. Since Stafford's career year in 2010, is he producing less?

Edited by Numark

Are Miller's Olympic years STATISTICALLY better than other years?

Yes.

In Olympic years: .926 SV%, 2.41 GAA, 55-40-11-0. 1.14 PPG pace.

In non-Olympic years: .912 SV%, 2.64 GAA, 228-146-45-1. 1.2 PPG pace.

Was Drew Stafford's one good year truly an outlier?

You be the judge:

06-07: .32 GPG, .34 APG, .66 PPG, 19.4 shooting %

07-08: .25 GPG, .34 APG, .59 PPG, 15.5 shooting %

08-09: .25 GPG, .32 APG, .57 PPG, 10.9 shooting %

09-10: .20 GPG, .28 APG, .48 PPG, 7.7 shooting %

10-11: .50 GPG, .34 APG, .84 PPG, 17.3 shooting %

11-12: .25 GPG, .38 APG, .63 PPG, 8.8 shooting %

12-13: .13 GPG, .25 APG, .39 PPG, 5.0 shooting %

13-14: .20 GPG, .24 APG, .45 PPG, 8.3 shooting %

.18 more goals per game than any other year. Tied for second best assists per game and most points per game by .18. Second best shooting percentage, but I'm surprised to see that he's had three years over 15% shooting. Hasn't surpassed 8.8% shooting since getting a new contract, though.

I know those were just examples, but I figured I would answer them to kick things off since I enjoy these types of things.

Edited by Tankalicious

Might want to re-check those save percentages.

I do this EVERY time. When looking at NHL.com I constantly refer to the "SA" column as saves. ###### me sideways. I'll fix that. Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed 'em.

Edited by Tankalicious

I do this EVERY time. When looking at NHL.com I constantly refer to the "SA" column as saves. ###### me sideways. I'll fix that. Thanks.

EDIT: Fixed 'em.

You're not the only one. I was doing that first scatterplot earlier and for some reason the save percentages just didn't make any sense. Then I realized I was doing the same thing. :P

I am really interested in understanding the major drop in Drews shooting % take out the contract year and he has basicly gotten worse and worse every year he has been in the league. Is he just taking more low % shots?

He did used to play on a line with Roy & Vanek. Now he plays with...whatever crappy players are on the ice at that time.

I can see that having a impact on his ppg but his shooting % shouldn't be impacted as badly as it has been.

Just spitballing, when you're the 3rd-best (or at least 2nd best) player on a line, you might get better looks when the D are focussed on the other two guys. Especially if the other guys can get you the puck.

Are Miller's Olympic years STATISTICALLY better than other years?

Yes.

In Olympic years: .926 SV%, 2.41 GAA, 55-40-11-0. 1.14 PPG pace.

In non-Olympic years: .912 SV%, 2.64 GAA, 228-146-45-1. 1.2 PPG pace.

Which group did you throw 2005-2006 into? And if someone really wanted to dig into this one, they could remove the post-olympic game numbers from each of those seasons.

Which group did you throw 2005-2006 into? And if someone really wanted to dig into this one, they could remove the post-olympic game numbers from each of those seasons.

Or you could remove the pre-Olympic games. In 09-10, Miller's GAA was 2.41 in the regular season after coming home from Vancouver, then 2.34 against the Bs in the playoffs. Before the Olympics, he was 2.16, and that includes a brief rough patch right before going to the Games. Whatever… it will be interesting to see how he plays for the Sabres the rest of the way.

And the general disgust when those goalies were announced. I heard plenty of complaints

I'm not sure if that was in the period where all of the posts were lost, but there was a LOT of talk on this site, too, about how Miller deserved the spot.

Edited by Eleven

Weren't the USA chants after the team was named? I think Miller might even have returned from his thumb injury on the same day the team was named — and they hosted Esche and the Flyers. Could be wrong…

Maybe so--it was eight years ago, after all. But point remains: he was a candidate.

Maybe so--it was eight years ago, after all. But point remains: he was a candidate.

I was right. First time in 2014. What is confounding me is why he was so heartily supported for it, other than he was our goaltender. At that point, he was the American Jhonas Enroth.

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.