GDT: Buffalo at Florida 10-25-13 at 7:30 PM

dudacek

Come on man, no blinders. I wasn't talking about this entire season in general, I was talking about one period in particular. WIthin that period he had two shifts in particular that really stood out.

Hodgson has 9 points on the worst offensive team in the league. Say what you want, that's not easy.

Right, Myers did look good, but what I'm saying is that I think it was a result of better pairings than his game coming on for that period in particular. We got a look at where he is at right now with good decisions from behind the bench, rather than Myers all of a sudden finding his game.

Fifth all-time in goals scored for the Sabres. Imagine if he wasn't "lazy."

The reason Vanek doesn't look like a star right now is that the Sabres never have the puck. They spend most of the game in their own end, with the defense chasing the other team's forwards around. They were outshot 45-20, and that's considered a "good game" this year.

Yup. It's also making Hodgson look worse because he's spending too much time in the D-zone. It actually makes me sad that Hodgson is going to get the Derek Roy treatment where people hate on him for his shortcomings, when he's really a victim of being a #2 who is tasked with being a #1. If we had a few more lazy players with no battle who had 9 points on the year, we might have a few more wins.

This didn't happen at all, he bumps fists with hodgon right after he scores, and is in the group pretty fast, now you are just seeing things that aren't there.

Actually that's inaccurate. I'm not seeing things that are there. I missed the fist bump, sorry.

That was my first impression too, but then I saw them on the bench right after, smiling and talking.

I did notice that brief moment on the camera there. But I had thought he blew by Hodgson after scoring so I thought a little less of it at that point time.

Lazy play is pretty much inexcusable, but in some defense of Vanek, he is in a lame duck situation, where as Hodgson just signed a 6 year contract. Hodgson may be the player that I'm most disappointed in, because he has the talent to be a very good player, but his lack of effort had surpassed even that of Drew Stafford (IMO). These teenagers on the team need some of these 20-24 year olds out there leading by example and Hodgson could/should be one of those players, among others. Hodgson may have been in the same situation, where he picked up the bad habits of those players a few years ahead of him. I really believe that the poor effort of this team is much more hurtful than the talent or lack of talent is.

There's no defense. If you are not skating hard you are not skating hard. Unless he is injured then it's all on him.

Fifth all-time in goals scored for the Sabres. Imagine if he wasn't "lazy."

The reason Vanek doesn't look like a star right now is that the Sabres never have the puck. They spend most of the game in their own end, with the defense chasing the other team's forwards around. They were outshot 45-20, and that's considered a "good game" this year.

This back and forth with Vanek and lazy. There are times when Vanek appears to be the slowest guy on the ice. He has looked relatively disinterested at times and especially the lat few games. He has his moments but if let's examine something for a moment with him. He's not doing much to help his team get the puck out of the zone either.

What I see with Vanek is that if he is motivated he'll play hard with the puck and without the puck. However there are a lot of times when he'll wave his stick at someone and then slowly skate in his back checking role hoping that his team will turn the puck over and get it back up to him for an offensive chance. I get that this is part of his game but it hurts the team at times too. I think this is partially where the laziness comes from. I've watched Vanek play when he was really motivated and he's damn near unstoppable but that sure as hell wasn't his game last night.

Think about it this way. The biggest knock against Vanek being lazy came from the early part of his career. He didn't doggedly backcheck, floated a lot, and waited for someone to get him the puck. He didn't show a lot of the playmaking ability that he's shown over the past few years (basically when Roy went out with the leg injury). It almost reminds me of the player wearing #25 right now. ALMOST, only that Vanek still actually scored. The difference then was that the Sabres were actually a good team compared to now.

I don't think TOO much has changed with Vanek. He still takes shifts off and he can still be seen on the trailing edge of the camera shot as the opposition enters the Sabres zone. Overall, though his play making ability has improved dramatically and his overall level of effort is better.

This game was a classic Stafford game. Somehow missed a goal where all he had to do was steer the puck into the net, he completely whiffed on a hit where he wasn't moving at all and the skater just went by him, and the puck uselessly bounced off him at least 4-5 times straight to the other team. Amazing.

Hodgson looked good carrying the puck in the offensive zone last night, other than that the top line was pretty brutal. Floating night for Vanek.

Gotta love 55 and 61. I really hope they both end up amazing and Morin is a bust for Philly. Then we can laugh at Philly forever for passing on Zadorov and never having good defense.

Archived