Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

So do we stay with the picks we have, taking the Isles at 10-20, or do we trade that with a 2nd, or maybe two 2nds, and move higher for two first within the top 10? From what I've read/heard, the draft is deep, but not at a high level i.e. there seems to be a lot of good players, just not too many elite players.

If that's how it is, I'm more inclined to keep them unless we can get two picks (including our own) within the top 5.

Or, what I'd really like, is we trade our 1st and one-or-two seconds for a top first and a second/third in the 2015 draft, giving us some ammo to go after McDavid if we don't win the lottery. The only problem with this is, if we don't win the lotto, I highly doubt someone will be willing to trade out of the 2015 1st. Also, there's no telling the quality of pick we'll get if we do, we'd have to really just aim and shoot for the who'll be shittiest team that year, and hope they want to trade.

I haver to laugh.. After last years fire sale I find it funny that any Sabres fan wouldn't be talking 2014 draft. Are there really a few of you who expected this extremely young team to win ?

It was beyond obvious we were in full rebuild mode... I'm just hoping we don;'t do something real stupid like win to many games and not get the 1st pick overall

The Vanek trade was a decent trade, 2 high draft picks and a temporary replacement player..........Miller is next.

So do we stay with the picks we have, taking the Isles at 10-20, or do we trade that with a 2nd, or maybe two 2nds, and move higher for two first within the top 10? From what I've read/heard, the draft is deep, but not at a high level i.e. there seems to be a lot of good players, just not too many elite players.

If that's how it is, I'm more inclined to keep them unless we can get two picks (including our own) within the top 5.

Or, what I'd really like, is we trade our 1st and one-or-two seconds for a top first and a second/third in the 2015 draft, giving us some ammo to go after McDavid if we don't win the lottery. The only problem with this is, if we don't win the lotto, I highly doubt someone will be willing to trade out of the 2015 1st. Also, there's no telling the quality of pick we'll get if we do, we'd have to really just aim and shoot for the who'll be shittiest team that year, and hope they want to trade.

It will depend on the drop offs in this years draft. Wherever that Isles pick falls and wherever the Scouting department perceives the drop offs to be will heavily influence what we do with that pick. Factor in players sliding (like Zadorov falling this past year) and it is impossible at this point to tell what happens with the Isles pick.

As for the rest you answer your own question. There is so much "luck" in trading a 1st this year for a first next year and having the team tank. It is far more likely that we trade a player for a 1st this or next year than we swap 1st rounders.

BTW, here's Kris Baker's 2014 draft preview from the Summer.

http://www.sabrespro...draft-crop.html

Interesting. Outside of Reinhart I would look to Dal Colle. There are several reasons but the foremost is that this player is younger for his draft class having late 96 birthday. Dal Colle June 96. That means that he is a little further away from the bigs than older guys technically but that also means their full potential is less obvious. He is over the magical 6ft and Dal Colle should easily fill in from his 6'2" 171lb frame (he is only 17yrs old).

Dal Colle right now projects similar to Monahan and is on pace for 35g and 55a this season.

The other player I really like is Leon Draisaitl. Now he is a bit older than Dal Colle (8months) but he has some skills. He played for Prince Albert last season, his first junior season. He seems to have made the transition to the NA game quite well. This season he is on pace for 34g and 54a for 88pts and he has both the size and hands we need up front. He skates well and has a good shot... Now you can see more in his game than you can Dal Colle and from what I see he looks pretty good.

Right now my top 3 guys I want us to Draft are Reinhart, Dal Colle, Draisaitl. That is in no particular order and I am sure I will revise that as the year progresses.

Edited by LGR4GM

@FCHockey

FC’s Prospect Profiler now features over 50 members of the 2014 NHL Draft class http://bit.ly/144auSt

#NHLDraft

"Dal Colle is a bull who uses his natural talents well. He's got an imposing frame and already shows great balance and strength on his skates. He plays a two-way game, battles hard and displays quick hands for his size."

Currently ranked 6th at Future C, he is ranked 3rd by ISS. His videos show he has a nose for the net and he is not afraid of physical play. Still reminds me of a less polished Monahan in a lot of ways. Not sure about his leadership. If we do not draft Reinhart, Dal Colle is currently my #2 with Leon Draisaitl very close behind him. I think Draisaitl is more of natural playmaking/goal scorer and has better hands to that end but he is less physical which worries me as always.

My current Dark Horse for us is Anton Karlsson who plays for Frolunda J20 in the SuperElit. He currently has 8g, 6a in 14gp. His brother is Eric Karlsson! But not the super offensive defender one you are thinking of :P . He also has a late (august 96) birthday for this draft.

Here is the only thing I could really find on Karlsson and it is from last january. Also has a good little blurb about Nylander who I am only shying away from currently because of his size.

Time will tell but this draft is getting more and more interesting.

Edited by LGR4GM

FC releases November Ranking for 2014 Draft: http://futureconside....or-2014-draft/

There’s a new No. 1 in Future Considerations’ November ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft.

Barrie Colts defenseman Aaron Ekblad has overtaken Kootenay Ice forward Sam Reinhart as Future Considerations’ top prospect in 2014. The 6-foot-4 Ekblad is off to an impressive start in Barrie, recording six goals and seven assists in 18 games.

Reinhart hasn’t struggled by any means with nine goals and 28 points in 16 games, but Ekblad’s rise goes well beyond statistics.

“Ekblad has continually developed so many facets of his game from last season that this move was an easy decision for our staff,” scouting director Dan Stewart said. “Out west, Reinhart has put up a ton of points with Kootenay but his overall game has not progressed as much as we have hoped, leading to the change in rankings between the two.”

Or they can win the lottery and trade the pick to a D hungry team for more assets if they really covet another player at Forward.

I wouldn't trust Darcy enough to believe he could trade down in the draft from the 1st overall pick and not ###### it up. If we get 1st overall we draft 1st overall and be done with it.

That being said, Reinhart is still the #1 for us with Dal Colle the other option if we win some games or lose the lottery. If Anton Karlsson remains 15th and seems to be falling that far, we can either take him with the islanders pick or trade up as needed.

I feel the same way. Ekblad does look awfully good with the 1st overall pick. I know we need forwards, but if he continues his play, it would be very difficult to turn away from him. And I also agree on Ehrhoff and Myers as well.

Remember, Ehrhoff could be traded and Myers is Myers.

Don't rule out Ekblad yet.

No it wouldn't. All you have to do is say Sam Reinhart into a microphone come June. We can't keep drafting defense. We simply can't do it. Also I don't think DR vague notion going forward will involve trading both Ehrhoff and Myers. I could see one going in the right deal but not both.

Even if we lost 1 defender conceivably next season you would have...

Myers, Pysyk, Weber, Risto, Zadorov, McCabe, McNabb, McBain (lol jk just wanted another Mc in there) and I still believe you can safely add Ehrhoff into that as well. I don't think unless the deal was perfect they trade him. On top of that you can also take a look at the UFA defender list, there would be a guy or two there who could fill in. Plus we have another 1st round pick already.

Guess it just seems a waste to use what would be the 4th 1st round pick on a defender in 3 years (Pysyk, Zadorov, Ristolainen... Ekblad)

LGR, we all want a star centre, but at the draft you cant take need over ability.

I haven't seen or read enough to pass any sort of judgment on Reinhart versus Ekblad, not even the scouts have.

But I do not want to take Daigle and leave Pronger sitting at the table because I have McKee and Zhitnik already in the system.

Maybe we get a shot at McDavid next year.

Are you going to avoid him because you already have Hodgson, Grigorenko and Reinhart?

Guess it just seems a waste to use what would be the 4th 1st round pick on a defender in 3 years (Pysyk, Zadorov, Ristolainen... Ekblad)

Would be the 4th in 4 years, Pysyk was a 2010 draft pick. In the same amount of time they've also taken 6 forwards in the first two rounds, including 3 first rounders.

Would be the 4th in 4 years, Pysyk was a 2010 draft pick. In the same amount of time they've also taken 6 forwards in the first two rounds, including 3 first rounders.

The 2nd round gets much more hazy and we are talking possibly 1st overall here. I post below about only our 1st round selections.

LGR, we all want a star centre, but at the draft you cant take need over ability.

I haven't seen or read enough to pass any sort of judgment on Reinhart versus Ekblad, not even the scouts have.

But I do not want to take Daigle and leave Pronger sitting at the table because I have McKee and Zhitnik already in the system.

Maybe we get a shot at McDavid next year.

Are you going to avoid him because you already have Hodgson, Grigorenko and Reinhart?

1) We have a pronger type in the system

2) Did you really just compare Connor McDavid to Hodgson, Grigorenko or Reinhart?

3) How many defenders typically suit up for a game? 6. How many forwards? 12. So That indicates that if since 2010 we have drafted 3defensemen and 3forwards in the first round we are still really really really short at forward.

Edited by LGR4GM

I think I need to expand. Let us take a look at this years draft. Seth Jones was the #1 guy. He was NHL ready, tons of talent. He fell to 4th because it just isn't worth it taking a defender with the 1st overall pick when you can potentially draft an elite forward. Now obviously each year is different but look back at the last decade or hell go back to 1993. How many defenders were taken first overall? Ed Jovanowski, Chris Phillips, Bryan Berard, Erik Johnson. That is it 4 in the last 20 years. The reason is simple. If you hit you could get Chris Pronger 2.0 but with forwards you have a much better chance to hit...

Tell me how many of these forwards you recognize:

Alexander Daigle, Joe Thornton, Vinny Lecavalier, Patric Stefan, Illya Kovalchuk, Rick Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, MacKinnon. That is the list of forwards drafted 1st overall. I would call just about everyone from Tavares backwards with 2 exceptions a game changer or at least a top end talent. The rest are far to early to tell but Hall is well on his way. See thats the thing. Forwards have a better shot at being stars because of the position they play. Most star NHL defenders dont get drafted 1st overall because you don't need to get them 1st overall and they develop over a longer period of time making them almost impossible to project. Much in the same GT's are hard to project.

Okay I know that +/- isnt a great stat but Ekblad is -9 and he has 13pts in 15games on a team that is 6-8... I will keep an eye on him but he would really have to impress me to jump over Reinhart. Of course if we draft 2nd I will be rooting for him to be a 1st overall :flirt:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.