Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Jack Dougherty - should be available in round 2. He is from the US Dev program and put up 22pts in 55gp. He has been called physical by several scouts and is 6'2" 185lbs. His biggest knock is that his skating is average and he needs to work on it but the good news is he is going to college which means he has 3-4 years to work on it. Wouldn't be a bad guy to grab perhaps with Winnipeg's 39th overall.

Don't know much about the other two, but Dougherty is solid. He decommitted to Ohio State after their coach was fired and will be attending Wisconsin in the fall. Wisconsin will have a few holes on defense (McCabe left early, two seniors graduated), and he will step in right away. Mike Eaves does a great job with the defense at Wisconsin, and continues to churn out good players. Dougherty's skating is a question, but the kid is set up to succeed at the next level. I'd love to see them take him in the 2nd, just like they did with McCabe.

Draft order that we know so far:

1. Florida

2. Buffalo

3. Edmonton

4. Calgary

5. New York

6. Vancouver

7. Carolina

8. Toronto

9. Winnipeg

10. Anaheim (via Ottawa)

11. Nashville

12. Phoenix

13. Washington

14. Dallas

15. Detroit

16. Columbus

17. Philadelphia

18-29. TBD

30. New Jersey

St. Louis' pick will be somewhere between 22-24 depending on the results. If Boston and Anaheim lose in round two then it's 22. If one of the two lose then it's 23. If neither lose then it's 24.

Edited by Tankalicious

Draft order that we know so far:

1. Florida

2. Buffalo

3. Edmonton

4. Calgary

5. New York

6. Vancouver

7. Carolina

8. Toronto

9. Winnipeg

10. Anaheim (via Ottawa)

11. Nashville

12. Phoenix

13. Washington

14. Dallas

15. Detroit

16. Columbus

17. Philadelphia

18-29. TBD

30. New Jersey

St. Louis' pick will be somewhere between 22-24 depending on the results. If Boston and Anaheim lose in round two then it's 22. If one of the two lose then it's 23. If neither lose then it's 24.

I don't think St. Louis gives up a low twenties pick to sign Ryan Miller in the window.

I don't think St. Louis gives up a low twenties pick to sign Ryan Miller in the window.

Even Miller wouldn't be on board with it if he was going to re-sign. I'd have to think that just about any player would have no problem waiting a couple days if they realized it would help the team. It's not like he can turn around within those couple days and sign with someone else.

Even Miller wouldn't be on board with it if he was going to re-sign. I'd have to think that just about any player would have no problem waiting a couple days if they realized it would help the team. It's not like he can turn around within those couple days and sign with someone else.

If he signs after the draft with St Louis do we get their 2015 pick or something along those lines. I know we get something just can not remember this morning.

If he signs with the Blues after the draft, we get their 2016 2nd.

If signs with them before the draft (or if they trade his rights) it's our our 2014 third and Minny's 2014 second for the Blues 2014 first.

If he doesn't sign with them we get their 2016 third.

If he doesn't sign, I'm betting Murray packages two of our four picks between 31 and 61 to move back up into the first again anyway, so Miller resigning with them after the draft could actually be better for us than him signing before.

If he signs with the Blues after the draft, we get their 2016 2nd.

If signs with them before the draft (or if they trade his rights) it's our our 2014 third and Minny's 2014 second for the Blues 2014 first.

If he doesn't sign with them we get their 2016 third.

If he doesn't sign, I'm betting Murray packages two of our four picks between 31 and 61 to move back up into the first again anyway, so Miller resigning with them after the draft could actually be better for us than him signing before.

What? Can you please explain that. If Miller signs before we are back in the first round again and don't have to trade anything other than one second and one third. That's better than trading at minimum two seconds to get back up there.

What? Can you please explain that. If Miller signs before we are back in the first round again and don't have to trade anything other than one second and one third. That's better than trading at minimum two seconds to get back up there.

An ideal situation would go like this:

Blues keep their pick, we trade the Minny pick and our third to (for example) Anaheim for their first.

Then Blues sign Miller, and we get their 2016 second.

Under that scenario, we would be giving up a second and a third for a first and second.

If Miller signs before the draft we would giving up that first and second for just a first.

An ideal situation would go like this:

Blues keep their pick, we trade the Minny pick and our third to (for example) Anaheim for their first.

Then Blues sign Miller, and we get their 2016 second.

Under that scenario, we would be giving up a second and a third for a first and second.

If Miller signs before the draft we would giving up that first and second for just a first.

I'm still not sure if that's the right logic or not. You could still make a trade up with the Ducks using our Win 2nd and a 3rd if you wanted.

If you ignore the proposed trade which may or may not happen you are arguing a (2nd) > (1st less 2nd and 3rd). Not saying you are right or wrong but myself I would prefer that 1st knowing I have to give up my 2nd (Wild) and 3rd to get it. I could still trade up again if I wanted using the Jets second and something else.

I'm still not sure if that's the right logic or not. You could still make a trade up with the Ducks using our Win 2nd and a 3rd if you wanted.

If you ignore the proposed trade which may or may not happen you are arguing a (2nd) > (1st less 2nd and 3rd). Not saying you are right or wrong but myself I would prefer that 1st knowing I have to give up my 2nd (Wild) and 3rd to get it. I could still trade up again if I wanted using the Jets second and something else.

I think I would rather get St Louis 23rd overall pick and be able to take 1 of my two remaining 2nds and move up from there if needed. It is exactly how we got Zemgus Girgensons.

I generally agree with you guys. I don't know how likely my scenario is, I was just pointing out that it was possible.

And that the Blues waiting until after the draft to sign Miller isn't necessarily that bad a thing.

I generally agree with you guys. I don't know how likely my scenario is, I was just pointing out that it was possible.

And that the Blues waiting until after the draft to sign Miller isn't necessarily that bad a thing.

O I agree it is possible. We traded the 21st overall and the 42nd overall to move up to 14th in 2012. I think it would be easier to get to 10th if we were trading 23rd overall and 39th overall. In your scenario I think you are looking at getting Anaheim's later first round pick (27-30th?) for say 39th overall and Minnesota's presumably 46th or something along those lines. I am not sure 31st and 39th get you all the way to 10th in this scenario.

Ya I agree it won't be much worse if they wait until after. Personally I hope they don't sign him at all and just take the 2016 3rd and pray that having a rookie goalie next year may lead to a down year. The big prize in this trade was the 2015 first rounder and I want that pick to be as high as possible. Likely they miss the playoffs? No but I would rather them have a rookie and someone like Elliott in net versus Miller in the regular season. You never know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.