Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Isle's have the tie breaker for 4th place if you are looking at it from a futility standpoint. Calgary has the edge on position in standing... a higher position because of games won in regulation. Last game April 13th with Sabres playing Isles and Calgary playing Vancouver.

Edited by Icehole

Regarding the Islander's pick decision

How big a difference does 4th place compared to 5th place make?

Guarantees no less than the 5th pick if they are finish 4th, 6th if they finish 5th... etc. So given the top 5 picks are considered a step above the rest, it is significant.

Edited by Icehole

Guarantees no less than the 5th pick if they are finish 4th, 6th if they finish 5th... etc. So given the top 5 picks are considered a step above the rest, it is significant.

They will know their order by the time they have to chose, so presuming they get the place they finish?

How do the islanders needs factor into this? Are they looking to add scoring? Their defense was down right awful. There seems to be a pretty big drop from the top defenseman to the rest, if they're not going to get ekbald, might they just bite the bullet, and give us the pick this year, hoping for one of the better d-men in next years loaded draft?

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Consensus appears to be forming that Draisaitl is a notch ahead of Dal Colle.

So there is a significance to finishing fourth or fifth.

This is what I thought as well. So do we want to be rooting for them to beat Calgary or not? Would we be better off with 8th next year than 5th this year kind of a thing

How do the islanders needs factor into this? Are they looking to add scoring? Their defense was down right awful. There seems to be a pretty big drop from the top defenseman to the rest, if they're not going to get ekbald, might they just bite the bullet, and give us the pick this year, hoping for one of the better d-men in next years loaded draft?

I have a feeling it will be as much a business/PR move as it will a hockey one. The fact they are moving stadiums might also play a role

Regarding the Islander's pick decision

How big a difference does 4th place compared to 5th place make?

I agree. I really like Dal Colle because he is a power forward who shoots extremely well but the top 4 seem to have cemented themselves as Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl. Dal Colle falls a hair below those guys but in all honesty, if you could take Dal Colle at 5, that is a very good pick up.

Realistically, the Islanders need scoring wingers and defense. If I were Garth Snow I would keep the pick, draft Dal Colle. My 2nd round pick would take a defender, note this would be Montreals 2nd not the islanders. If Anders Nilsson, Ryan Strome, and Griffen Reinhart all make the team next year, you will see an improved NYI squad.

There are several UFA Defender Options that they may be able to get to help their anemic defense as well. Reinhart should make the team but I'd guess Pulock stays another year in Juniors. Ville Pokka played for Karpat in the SM Liiga these past couple years and seems to have done well. Not sure if he will make the jump to the NYI but it is again conceivable. So that means they need to sign 1 veteran defender if both Reinhart and Pokka come to the team. Maybe someone like Andre Benoit out of Colorado.

If they manage to add Strome (currently playing on the islanders) and Reinhart/Pokka to their team with the addition of Tavares and Nilsson actually showing he may be a legit GT, I could conceive that the NYI finish 8-14 next year.

April 6th Recap late 1st/2nd round prospects

J20 SuperElite (Sweden)

Jonas Johansson G Brynäs 16SHA 1GA

Oskar Lindblom LW Brynäs 2G 0A +1+/-

Adrian Kempe LW MODO DNP

Brynäs defeat MODO 5-1 and place 3rd in J20 SuperElite Playoffs.

Final play-of stats:

Johansson 7GP 2.36GAA .892SVS %

Lindblom 7GP 6G 1A +4+/-

Kempe 5GP 1G 1A +2+/- (j20), 2GP 0G 1A (SEL)

I agree. I really like Dal Colle because he is a power forward who shoots extremely well but the top 4 seem to have cemented themselves as Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Draisaitl. Dal Colle falls a hair below those guys but in all honesty, if you could take Dal Colle at 5, that is a very good pick up.

Realistically, the Islanders need scoring wingers and defense. If I were Garth Snow I would keep the pick, draft Dal Colle. My 2nd round pick would take a defender, note this would be Montreals 2nd not the islanders. If Anders Nilsson, Ryan Strome, and Griffen Reinhart all make the team next year, you will see an improved NYI squad.

There are several UFA Defender Options that they may be able to get to help their anemic defense as well. Reinhart should make the team but I'd guess Pulock stays another year in Juniors. Ville Pokka played for Karpat in the SM Liiga these past couple years and seems to have done well. Not sure if he will make the jump to the NYI but it is again conceivable. So that means they need to sign 1 veteran defender if both Reinhart and Pokka come to the team. Maybe someone like Andre Benoit out of Colorado.

If they manage to add Strome (currently playing on the islanders) and Reinhart/Pokka to their team with the addition of Tavares and Nilsson actually showing he may be a legit GT, I could conceive that the NYI finish 8-14 next year.

If they're going to rely on 2 rookies 2 sophmores, travis hamonic and whatever UFA is willing to sign for budget numbers for them, I want them to pick this year more than ever.

I'm assuming Visnovsky is gonna call it quits before his brain falls apart.

You can't score enough goals to win with that blueline.

Edit: 8th -14th place? or 8th-14th pick?

My German colleague who is a hockey junky mentioned that Leon Draisaitl's father Peter was a famous national team player in Germany for over a decade. Peter now coaches HC Ceske Budejovice in the Czech Extraliga. Son of a coach is always looked at as a positive in most sports.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/01/15/german_prospect_draisaitl_following_in_mike_modanos_footsteps_cox.html

Edited by Potato

If they're going to rely on 2 rookies 2 sophmores, travis hamonic and whatever UFA is willing to sign for budget numbers for them, I want them to pick this year more than ever.

I'm assuming Visnovsky is gonna call it quits before his brain falls apart.

You can't score enough goals to win with that blueline.

Edit: 8th -14th place? or 8th-14th pick?

Yep, I agree with all that. Plus they had Vanek most of the season and still stunk. Tavares was there for most of that terrible season as well. Yes they needed to upgrade their d/goaltending more than adding a great winger to play with JT. However, by losing Vanek they are going to have to improve their d/goaltending that much more as they may not have the forwards to score 4+ goals regularily to bail them out. I'll be happy taking the German Wayne Gretzky or Dal Colle this year, I'll be very happy if we get next years pick. For once, thanks Darcy.

Even with an average goaltender I would put them in the 3-10 range with the insurance policy that they are one serious JT injury away from a high probability of a top 5 pick.

Although there is the slim potential Wang sells the team or is willing to spend more money (unlikely) and Snow can convince a top 4 Dman to join the team. That would obviously really help them. It is a very interesting situation.

Edited by Derrico

I wonder if there's any chance the Isles/Sabres will discuss a scenario where the Isles will give us their pick next year if we agree to swap picks this year and the Isles give us a second rounder or something like that.

I wouldn't want to do that, but if TM truly believes that the Isles aren't going to improve and wants another high 2015 pick for sure then it's a discussion worth having.

If the Isles are picking 8 next year then I'd still rather have that.

Troof.

I mostly want my dream to play out, in that Nolan gets the kids valiantly fighting up into the 9-11 spot in the conference through february, with at least a sniff of what a playoff push would feel like, and then Okposo lays another 4-goal stinker of a season and The Isles win the lottery for us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.