Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Anything short of first overall and I really hope we do get their 2015 pick. The thought of Snow and the Isles signing a bunch of UFA's based on Snow's proven track record of being inept, the owners proven track record of being cheap and nobody wanting to play there is comical. If you mean bring in as many UFA's as possible you mean maybe 1 middling player then sure. As others have said, this is an average UFA offseason and there is no draw to go to the Isles (especially if the cap goes up substantially and give better teams have more opportunity to be active this summer).

The other thing that should hurt the Isles in free agency is their upcoming move. Will players want to sign there knowing that they'll have to move again in a year? That shouldn't impact anyone who would be signing a 1 year contract, but there has to be major questions in the mind of anyone who was considering signing there on a multi-year deal.

I think if the Islanders and specifically Wang, if they think that they will be as bad or at least a non playoff team next year, they could conceivably defer. That being said I think as a GM your brain has to assume you will be better in the coming year. Realistically that is your job to make your team better.

Edited by LGR4GM

The other thing that should hurt the Isles in free agency is their upcoming move. Will players want to sign there knowing that they'll have to move again in a year? That shouldn't impact anyone who would be signing a 1 year contract, but there has to be major questions in the mind of anyone who was considering signing there on a multi-year deal.

FWIW, Uniondale isn't that far from Brooklyn roughly 25 miles. If you did sign there, you'd probably buy a place based on where you want in Brooklyn and commute out for the year. Or buy in Nassau Co. and commute in (via train if it were me) to Brooklyn.

FWIW, Uniondale isn't that far from Brooklyn roughly 25 miles. If you did sign there, you'd probably buy a place based on where you want in Brooklyn and commute out for the year. Or buy in Nassau Co. and commute in (via train if it were me) to Brooklyn.

I wonder how many want to commute though. I know out here in Boston, any time you hear mentioning of where a player lives, it is right near the arena. I don't think these guys want to deal with that stuff.

I wonder how many want to commute though. I know out here in Boston, any time you hear mentioning of where a player lives, it is right near the arena. I don't think these guys want to deal with that stuff.

I agree there, 25 mile commute in NYC is nothing to sneeze at at least Brooklyn -> Uniondale is against the traffic. I believe a lot of the Flyers players live over in Camden near their practice facility.

My whole reasoning is why would a GM want to give us a top 5 pick this year without trying to improve his team so there is no chance of us winning next year's lottery with their pick. I just think Snow is not gonna sit back and let us pick a top 5 pick this year and then do nothing to improve his team. Yes the Isles are bad but a different goalie could have done them wonders. And I'm guessing he will have a handful to choose from through free agency. I also think they need a couple of d-man and another solid forward and that would push them in the 10-16 range. But if I'm Garth Snow I'm not gonna sit back and let a potential Elite Player for years to come just land in Buffalo's lap without trying to prevent that.

March 18th Recap

Anton Karlsson, LW, 6'0, 18lbs (21 on ISS Feb Rankings) - 0G 1A in Frölunda J20 5-3 Play-off Victory over Örebro HK in Swedish J20 SuperElite league. Frölunda leads series 1 - 0

Marcus Petterson D, 6'3, 161bls (35 on Bob Mckenzie's latest ratings) 0G 0A for kellefteå AIK vs Djurgårdens IF Swedish J20 SuperElite Playoffs. Djurgårdens IF Leads series 1 - 0

Connor Bleackley, RW, 6'0, 192lbs, (16 on ISS Feb Rankings) - 1 assist in Red Deers 5-3 Play-In Loss vs Draisaitl's Prince Albert Raiders . Bleackley's season is now over.

My whole reasoning is why would a GM want to give us a top 5 pick this year without trying to improve his team so there is no chance of us winning next year's lottery with their pick. I just think Snow is not gonna sit back and let us pick a top 5 pick this year and then do nothing to improve his team. Yes the Isles are bad but a different goalie could have done them wonders. And I'm guessing he will have a handful to choose from through free agency. I also think they need a couple of d-man and another solid forward and that would push them in the 10-16 range. But if I'm Garth Snow I'm not gonna sit back and let a potential Elite Player for years to come just land in Buffalo's lap without trying to prevent that.

That is most likely what will happen. If the Islanders draft 4th or 5th overall, they will defer to next year. At 4th they could take Dal Colle who could slot in immediately on the wing with Okposo and Tavares. They have Strome at center, with Reinhart, Pulock, and Pokka on defense. All 4 of those players could conceivably be wearing Orange next year.

If I were the Islanders and seeing the amount of talent they could ice next year, I would defer. I don't think their defense will be as bad, I think their forwards will be better, and I think their goaltending could be fixed in the offseason. Not saying they will suddenly be a playoff team but it is conceivable. I honestly don't think they will finish in 26th again.

March 18th Recap

Anton Karlsson, LW, 6'0, 18lbs (21 on ISS Feb Rankings) - 0G 1A in Frölunda J20 5-3 Play-off Victory over Örebro HK in Swedish J20 SuperElite league. Frölunda leads series 1 - 0

Marcus Petterson D, 6'3, 161bls (35 on Bob Mckenzie's latest ratings) 0G 0A for kellefteå AIK vs Djurgårdens IF Swedish J20 SuperElite Playoffs. Djurgårdens IF Leads series 1 - 0

Connor Bleackley, RW, 6'0, 192lbs, (16 on ISS Feb Rankings) - 1 assist in Red Deers 5-3 Play-In Loss vs Draisaitl's Prince Albert Raiders . Bleackley's season is now over.

Also add Adrian Kempe to that list.

Kempe: 6'2" 187lbs (SHL 45gp, 5g, 6a, 11pts) and described on by Future Considerations as a "Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net."

Anton Karlsson was a player I liked at the midway point. He has been up and down this year from the scouting stuff I have seen but he has the potential to be a very good top 6 winger. He certainly has the size and skating to do it. May become a player that slides in the draft to the beginning of the 2nd round. Could be a good steal especially considering he is young with a Aug 96 birthday.

Edited by LGR4GM

They had Moulson/Vanek score 23 goals this year and lost them for nothing that will help next year.

Tavares will be coming back from a significant injury.

Okposo will not have the monster season he's having this year again, he will regress to his average.

They have a TON of offensive issues to deal with next year that adding one solid forward is not going to help.

They also have almost $44M already committed for next year, plus Yashin, plus DiPietro. Wang isn't going to open the coffers much past the floor. They don't have the resources to improve this team enough to finish outside the bottom 8 next year.

That is most likely what will happen. If the Islanders draft 4th or 5th overall, they will defer to next year. At 4th they could take Dal Colle who could slot in immediately on the wing with Okposo and Tavares. They have Strome at center, with Reinhart, Pulock, and Pokka on defense. All 4 of those players could conceivably be wearing Orange next year.

If I were the Islanders and seeing the amount of talent they could ice next year, I would defer. I don't think their defense will be as bad, I think their forwards will be better, and I think their goaltending could be fixed in the offseason. Not saying they will suddenly be a playoff team but it is conceivable. I honestly don't think they will finish in 26th again.

Kempe: 6'2" 187lbs (SHL 45gp, 5g, 6a, 11pts) and described on by Future Considerations as a "Kempe is a strong, bullish forward that has size, strength and a work ethic to match. He can be tenacious on the forecheck and never misses finishing a check. He has a heavy shot and isn't shy to drive towards the net."

Most definitely, he is on the list ranked 27 by Bob McKenzie latest report and 22 on the latest ICC report. His team Modo unfortunately is done for the year.

Liger seems a bit out of touch with this draft.

Claimed that Reinhart is as good as MacKinnon and that Dal Colle could play an have an impact immediately. Reinhart is the only player, by most accounts, that would be able to step in immediately from this draft.

Anton Karlsson was a player I liked at the midway point. He has been up and down this year from the scouting stuff I have seen but he has the potential to be a very good top 6 winger. He certainly has the size and skating to do it. May become a player that slides in the draft to the beginning of the 2nd round. Could be a good steal especially considering he is young with a Aug 96 birthday.

See I agree people are thinking the Islanders are going to give us their top 5 pick this year. Highly doubt that's gonna happen. Plus who says the Blues don't re-sign Miller after the draft which only gives us a third. If I'm the Blues I have a deal in place for Miller and than announce it after the draft.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

If the Isles think their big improvement comes from icing a pile of rookies next season than tank on my friends. We all saw how that worked out for the Sabres early in the season.....

They had Moulson/Vanek score 23 goals this year and lost them for nothing that will help next year.

Tavares will be coming back from a significant injury.

Okposo will not have the monster season he's having this year again, he will regress to his average.

They have a TON of offensive issues to deal with next year that adding one solid forward is not going to help.

They also have almost $44M already committed for next year, plus Yashin, plus DiPietro. Wang isn't going to open the coffers much past the floor. They don't have the resources to improve this team enough to finish outside the bottom 8 next year.

Bingo. As I said, let them defer.

It's one thing Snow thinking he can make his team better and another him actually accomplishing this.

Edited by Derrico

I cant imagine making the decision. Gut tells me they'll keep the pick and go for it this offseason if they're picking in the top 3/4. Otherwise they very well might just let it go.

Who in their right mind will give someone a top 5 pick without trying for a whole season to improve the team. I would be very happy to take their pick this year as next year I think Snow will try to make as many moves as possible so that we don't land a top pick.

Who in their right mind will give someone a top 5 pick without trying for a whole season to improve the team. I would be very happy to take their pick this year as next year I think Snow will try to make as many moves as possible so that we don't land a top pick.

Dude I'm sure he's going to try and make the team better if he defers the selection to next season. However, if he realistically realizes that it is unlikely he can make the team substantially better and there is a high probability he finishes in the bottom 10 next season he would be doing his franchise a huge disservice by not giving the Sabres the selection in what is considered by all experts to be a weaker draft. Of course he will try to improve them but we've stated before a) Snow is an idiot b) the owner doesn't want to spend money and c) nobody wants to play on the Island.

Dude I'm sure he's going to try and make the team better if he defers the selection to next season. However, if he realistically realizes that it is unlikely he can make the team substantially better and there is a high probability he finishes in the bottom 10 next season he would be doing his franchise a huge disservice by not giving the Sabres the selection in what is considered by all experts to be a weaker draft. Of course he will try to improve them but we've stated before a) Snow is an idiot b) the owner doesn't want to spend money and c) nobody wants to play on the Island.

Thank you :worthy:

NJ decided to pick at 29 rather than give it up. It'll cost them 20 spots.

If the Isles think their big improvement comes from icing a pile of rookies next season than tank on my friends. We all saw how that worked out for the Sabres early in the season.....

The key isn't if it will but if Snow thinks it will. I could see him believing that his younger faster defense and the addition of Strome and X would make his team better immediately. I think next year they don't finish 26th or lower. How high they get is a crap shoot.

It's not even that simple. Far more goes into the decision than just whether or not he expects the team to be better next year. How do the two drafts compare? If next year is that much deeper, even a 15th overall 2015 pick may have more value than a 4th overall 2014 pick. These are the types of things that weigh into his decision. What if he has another trade on the table where he would have to give up a first round pick for a goalie or a big time scoring wing to skate alongside Tavares? The other team in that deal could easily be swayed by one year vs. the other.

Liger seems a bit out of touch with this draft.

Claimed that Reinhart is as good as MacKinnon and that Dal Colle could play an have an impact immediately. Reinhart is the only player, by most accounts, that would be able to step in immediately from this draft.

Not out of touch at all. Reinhart and Bennett are bit below MacKinnon and Barkov but they are definitely above Monahan and Lindholm. Still all 6 are comparable. You never know what player will make the jump to the NHL, it depends on team depth and how they come into training camp. The comment about Dal Colle directly refers to his ability to play LW which is something the NYI desperately will need this year.

Players Potentially drafted anywhere from 20 to 40

CONNER BLEACKLEY C/RW 6'0 196 R 10/7/95 Red Deer

WHL

Regular Season Stats - 71GP, 29G, 39A - Lead Team in Goals, 2nd in Assists

Rebels eliminated with loss in Play-in game. Season Over

Ranked 28th by Bob Mckenzie TSN DraftCentre, 16th by ISS top 30 Draft Eligible Players Feb.

CONNOR CHATHAM RW 6'3 225 OCT/30/95 Plymouth Whalers

Regular Season Stats 54GP, 13G 18A - 7th on Team Scoring

ranked 40th by Bob McKenzie TSN Draft Centre, 30th by ISS North American Skaters (mid-term)

RYAN COLLINS D 6'4 179 MAY 6, 1996 USNTDP

Regular Season Stats 22GP 0G 2 A - A shut Down Defender per hockeysfuture.com

Ranked 47th by Bob Mckenzie TSN Draft Centre, 32nd by ISS North American Skaters (mid-term)

ERIC CORNEL C 6'1 186 APRIL 11, 1996 Peterborough OHL

Regular Season Stats 68GP 25G 37A. Lead team in Assists, 2nd in Goals

Ranked 38th by Bob McKenzie TSN Draft Centre, 23 ISS North American Skaters (mid-term)

CHASE DE LEO RW 5'9 177 OCT 25, 1995 Portland WHL

Regular Season Stats 72GP 39G 42A. 4th on team scoring

Ranked 48 by Bob Mckenzie TSN Draft Centre, 26 ISS North American Skaters (mid-term)

-

Kempe is playing today for the MODO J20 teams playoff game. They are up 3-0 and he has one of the goals.

See I agree people are thinking the Islanders are going to give us their top 5 pick this year. Highly doubt that's gonna happen. Plus who says the Blues don't re-sign Miller after the draft which only gives us a third. If I'm the Blues I have a deal in place for Miller and than announce it after the draft.

Maybe Miller and the Blues can ensure the 1st round pick to us by reaching the conference finals before the draft.

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.