Who would you have replace Darcy

North Buffalo

I don't claim to be an expert of GMs but I thought this discussion should be started to provide suggestions to TPegs.

Here are some links to other team's ideas.

http://blogs.edmonto...ger-candidates/

/http://fans.capitals...neral-managers/

http://www.sportsnet...eneral-manager/

http://bleacherrepor...king-all-30-gms

Any thoughts or info on who might fit the Sabres?

Also this from last April: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/general-managers-on-nhls-firing-line/article11209058/ :devil:

One could only hope.

Well, the article rating all 30 NHL GMs is a little outdated (February, 2011). Some of the GMs mentioned are no longer in those positions and some (like LA's GM) would rank higher now that their team won a Stanley Cup. I'm also suspicious of their ranking of Darcy at #11, citing the number of Sabres' 90+ win seasons as a positive indicator.

As fas as a replacement for Darcy? I like the idea of going with a former Sabre for the GM job. There are a number of former Sabres working in the NHL who have the kind of experience that would be needed for a GM job. Jim Schoenfeld, Don Luce, Rick Dudley... Putting a former Sabre in the GM role would bolster fan support (I know I would be on board with any of the three just mentioned) and show some loyalty to those who wore the Blue and Gold. (Personality-wise, I think Schoney would be a great GM. He's an old-school character guy; playing next to Tim Horton sure molded his style of play). I think Schoney as GM would build a team that would be strong-willed, not flamboyant and played hard every night. If he could do just that, it would be a worthwhile hire.

Of course, there is a long list of former/current NHL GMs and assistants who also could fit the bill. I'm not even going to try to pick one since any one of them could be just the right guy for the job....or could be a bust.

Well, the article rating all 30 NHL GMs is a little outdated (February, 2011). Some of the GMs mentioned are no longer in those positions and some (like LA's GM) would rank higher now that their team won a Stanley Cup. I'm also suspicious of their ranking of Darcy at #11, citing the number of Sabres' 90+ win seasons as a positive indicator.

As fas as a replacement for Darcy? I like the idea of going with a former Sabre for the GM job. There are a number of former Sabres working in the NHL who have the kind of experience that would be needed for a GM job. Jim Schoenfeld, Don Luce, Rick Dudley... Putting a former Sabre in the GM role would bolster fan support (I know I would be on board with any of the three just mentioned) and show some loyalty to those who wore the Blue and Gold. (Personality-wise, I think Schoney would be a great GM. He's an old-school character guy; playing next to Tim Horton sure molded his style of play). I think Schoney as GM would build a team that would be strong-willed, not flamboyant and played hard every night. If he could do just that, it would be a worthwhile hire.

Of course, there is a long list of former/current NHL GMs and assistants who also could fit the bill. I'm not even going to try to pick one since any one of them could be just the right guy for the job....or could be a bust.

I know some of the articles are outdated and your suggestion about former players is well taken and was mentioned in the Captials thread for them as well. I just wanted to get the topic started and get suggestions on who might fit the new regime. So who of the old Sabres have both the right experience and the possibility of fitting in with the new owner's managment group... Black et al. I luv Schoenfeld's passion, not sure he could damper it enough to fit in with TPegs. If I had to choose it would be between Dudley and Luce, but like I said, I am not sure what would be the best fit.

A Chimp, Could things really get much worse?

At worst he does slightly worse then Darcy and some FAs walk without compensation and the Sabres are a bad team that gets the #1 pick in the draft this year like everyone begs for around Feb/March.

At least its thinking outside the box and could be entertaining

Could you imagine the video of him throwing his poop at Stafford in the lockerroom for his lackluster play? or the video/photos of him in a suit sitting with TP and Black in the press box during games?

Flipping through those lists and the front offices of teams I have front office respect for, I'd look deeper into the following, not in any order:

The old guys:

Rick Dudley - Former Sabre, some GM experience with Atlanta, various AGM-type jobs

Craig Patrick - Miracle fame, enormous hockey street cred, long time GM of the Pens, hit and miss with the draft (but could be aided by Kevin Devine)

Craig Button - Trained under Bob Clarke and Bob Gainey, with Dallas for their 3 SC appearances, credited with building the '04 Calgary team,

Bob Gainey - Long time Dallas and Montreal GM

The new guys:

Julien BriseBois - Up and comer in Tampa under Steve Yzerman

Ryan Martin - Jim Nill's replacement in Detroit under Ken Holland

I'm sure there's more.

Archived