Sabres pick #35 JT Compher

spndnchz

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/jt-compher/18898/

Warrior with good speed, decent size, and fearlessness in battle areas. Positions himself well when his team is without the puck. Strong on his skates and very mobile. Excellent face-off man with a strong quick release on his shot. Throws the opposition off with his tenacity and infectious edge. Hockey sense plus scoring ability and relentless two-way commitment. A center who distributes the puck exceptionally well and shoots it well. Very strong and has good upside to grow an offensive game. Strong on his skates and a good diagnostician while moving with speed on the attack. He added quickness to his stride but can get quicker. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April, and was arguably the best player in the US win in the semis. (Committed to the University of Michigan)

Sounds like a good addition. We need guys like this.

I'm shocked we didn't make that trade to nab Fucale though.

Hockey Prospectus sez:

25. J.T. Compher, Center, USA Under-18 Team (USHL)

Compher is the top prospect to emerge from the USA development program in this draft (keeping in mind that Seth Jones played for the USNTDP last year). He is a great all-around player, above average or better at just about every area of the game, despite his 5'11" frame. He is a good skater who picks up speed well, and he has a high-energy element in his play. He forechecks and backchecks with speed, pressuring the opposition, while showing no hesitation to bang bodies. He is very skilled, with above-average puck skills and offensive instincts. On occasion, he will show elements of true offensive flash. He can make individual plays, and he tends to find his teammates well. He also has a big shot, and will be able to score from mid-distance. He is quite strong for a player of his height and age, but he will need to continue to bulk up so that he can play his style at the next level.

TheHockeyWriters say:

Committed to the University of Michigan for the Fall of 2013, Compher is a great two-way center with adept defensive abilities. He has great hockey IQ and can be placed in various situations. His skating is a bit suspect at times, but his control of the puck and ability to make simple, yet effective, plays is what makes him such an adroit forward. Compher’s work ethic stands out amongst his peers and he certainly puts an all-out effort every shift he’s on the ice.

The future Wolverine is scoring at just over a point-per-game pace this season and is continually improving his all-around game. He is ranked all over the 20-30 range for the upcoming draft, so it is no wonder with his skills, many scouts see him as a 1st-round pick. With such high praise, Compher will more than likely be another USNTDP player selected in the top 30 in Pittsburgh come June.

This guy best become something because it cost us a future all-star goalie. We must think this guy is pretty sensational. The good news is now 1/3 of our defence have a history of turning up to the start of the season out of shape.

Myers now has a friend to go to dunkin' donuts with

This guy best become something because it cost us a future all-star goalie. We must think this guy is pretty sensational. The good news is now 1/3 of our defence have a history of turning up to the start of the season out of shape.

Myers now has a friend to go to dunkin' donuts with

It cost us an all star goalie? and Compher is a forward I have no idea what the rest of our point even means.

McBain is a defenseman. We traded Sekera for this guy and McBain

He's talking about passing on Fucale and instead taking Compher?

We traded Sekera for Compher, McBain is toss in that in the end doesn't have to work out but can hold a place for a couple years. As for the Fucale thing... I like Compher so I am fine having him over Fucale

A team that has literally no really promising goalies, i just can't understand the logic of passing up Fucale. The only thing i can think is that we thought we could get him at 38 and got burnt

Enroth, Hackett and Makarov aren't promising? If Fucale is a guaranteed all star why wasn't he taken in the first round?

Enroth, Hackett and Makarov aren't promising? If Fucale is a guaranteed all star why wasn't he taken in the first round?

Enroth is not a prospect, but no he isn't that promising. I see him as an alright NHL starter at best. If we trade Miller I think we will really see Enroth's inconsistency - some games he will be very good, others he will simply cost them the game.

Hackett 2 years ago would have got be excited. He was traded because he became an AHL back-up goalie because his game had gone to ###### ever since he had his first stint in the NHL. If Miller isn't traded, which he probably won't be now, Hackett is back to being an AHL back-up goalie for the season

Makarov is the most promising prospect we have, i almost excluded him from my generalisation, but he is still nowhere near as sure a thing as Fucale. Scouts said they have never seen a guy his age dominate the crease like he does. For a team that for 20+ years has built from the net out we are now in a situation where there is nothing in front of us. No replacement

Now people will say well it hasn't worked so far. Well that is true. However, we have two scoring prospects, Armia and Grigorenko. That is it. Our cupboard is bare.

Sekera was our second best defenceman and we traded him for an out of shape place holder and this guy. We then chose not to address a position of future need with someone who probably will be a superstar, but instead took another centre.

In 3 years we are going to have centres playing every position on this team. Talk about over compensating.

As for why he wasn't chosen, goalies are risky. This was a deep draft, you don't want to waste a pick in a deep draft on a dodgy position. We had 5 picks int he top 52, we could have afforded to take a risk

They also have Ullmark is the Swedish league.

I think Sabres' fans are the only people excited about him.

We refuse to take a goalie before the 4th round because we think we can just get lucky again. The teams with good young goalies (Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Florida - which division are they playing in for the foreseeable future?) all took them early

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.