2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Same with Girgs, I would think Grigs has a higher upside though.... I dont get these rankings

I think what he did was consider the ceiling and then seriously consider what it would take to get there. Zadorov has a higher ceiling than Risto but will Zadorov reach that in the NHL is a question. Grigs is questionable at this point but has a higher ceiling then Gus who clearly is going to be a 2/3 line winger in the NHL

Gus has 17pts in 55nhl games. He had 17pts in 61 AHL games... I hope he just keeps improving.

You didnt read it....

Want to know why? Because that list is just the order in which they were selected, with Girgensens and Grigorenko switched, and a goalie tossed on for fun.

RISTOLAINEN 8

GIRGENSENS 14

ZADOROV 16

GRIGORENKO 12

ARMIA 16

PYSYK 23

COMPHER 35

MCCABE 44

LARSSON 56

ULLMARK 163

connor Hurley and Justin Bailey are "missing," but probably because it's too early to tell for them compared to a seasoned Larssons.

Wisconsin vs. Minnesota is on BTN tonight and tomorrow. Pretty good game so far thru two. McCabe is fun to watch. Runs around a little bit too much, but loves to throw his weight around and jump into the play. Two huge hits for him so far tonight.

Edit: McCabe scores a nice goal late in the 3rd to break a 1-1 tie.

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

Wisconsin vs. Minnesota is on BTN tonight and tomorrow. Pretty good game so far thru two. McCabe is fun to watch. Runs around a little bit too much, but loves to throw his weight around and jump into the play. Two huge hits for him so far tonight.

Edit: McCabe scores a nice goal late in the 3rd to break a 1-1 tie.

@SabresProspects

That's a big goal right there from Jake McCabe following the play deep to give Wisconsin a 2-1 lead on #1 Minnesota with 6:13 to play.

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 7m

JT Compher scores his 10th goal of the year to give Michigan a 1-0 lead on Penn State.

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 6m

And then Compher gets a helper on the second Wolverines tally of the night. Two points in the first 10 mins. UM up 2-0 on Penn St.

Save us, JT!

TPegs is POed and will make sure this kid never dons a Sabre uniform. :rolleyes:

@Buccigross

Checking out Pegula for first time. Beautiful. Michigan at Penn State

Bf6bz0qIAAAxTLb.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 22m

Nick Baptiste gets a goal and two helpers as Sudbury rolls past Niagara 7-1. Baptiste: 50gp 32 goals (t-10th in OHL), 66 pts (t-15th).

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 3m

Connor McDavid had FIVE assists tonight at Erie beat London, 7-2, in the OHL. Nikita Zadorov had was minus-1 for London. #Sabres #tanking

Kris Baker@SabresProspects 22m

Nick Baptiste gets a goal and two helpers as Sudbury rolls past Niagara 7-1. Baptiste: 50gp 32 goals (t-10th in OHL), 66 pts (t-15th).

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 3m

Connor McDavid had FIVE assists tonight at Erie beat London, 7-2, in the OHL. Nikita Zadorov had was minus-1 for London. #Sabres #tanking

Convid and BigZ future team mates. :w00t:

I was reading up on college hockey this weekend since our excitement about college prospects is the highest it has been since about 2000 when the first rumblings about Ryan Miller were happening, and I came across this:

http://collegehockeyinc.com/in-the-nhl

More than 300 former college players skated in the NHL in 2011-12, a record number and more than 30% of the league. College hockey, in short, is the fastest growing development path for the NHL.

Just 10 years ago, just one in five NHLers had a college background. Growth since then has been remarkable, and should continue. In the last six years, 36% of NHL debuts have been by former college hockey players.

The Sabres have used three 2nd round picks on college/college-bound players in the last two years (McCabe, Compher, and Hurley) and the early returns are pretty good.

@SabresProspects

Connor Hurley gets a season-high four pts (1+3) in GB's 7-2 win over DFS. Hurley: 7-11-18 in 16 gp w/ GB; had 3-11-14 in 21gp w/ Muskegon.

@SabresProspects

▶ Justin Bailey dishes off and goes right to the net for his 25th goal of the year in KIT's Sunday win https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ63GARf_F0 …

#Sabres

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT - 2/10/14

Bailey records first-career OHL hat trick; McCabe scores GWG over Minnesota

By Kris Baker - SabresProspects.com

Justin Bailey (2013, second round) recorded his first-ever OHL hat trick Tuesday as Kitchener was bounced by Guelph 10-4. Bailey's big night was rounded out with an assist, giving him his first four-point game since last February.

Bailey continued his impactful play over the weekend, scoring the only goal of the shootout as the Rangers got past Owen Sound 2-1 on Saturday, and notching his 25th of the season Sunday in a 3-2 shootout decision over Sudbury. The Sunday marker gives him six goals in his last six games.

Bailey’s surge is noteworthy when considering that his team has been one of the weakest in the league all year, and that February is often the time that prospects hit a bit of a wall. The budding power forward enters the season's final 15-game stretch as Kitchener’s leading scorer with 25 goals and 42 points.

NCAA

Jake McCabe (2012, second round) scored the game-winning goal Thursday as No. 12 Wisconsin ended top-ranked Minnesota's 14-game unbeaten streak with a 2-1 victory in Madison. The third-year defender instinctively went deep into the Gophers’ end of the ice, corralled a centering pass, and scored off a wrist shot with 6:13 to play in regulation. The following night, McCabe was ejected for check to the head as the Badgers earned the sweep of the Gophers with a 2-1 victory. McCabe now has 19 points (7+12) through 26 games.

I was reading up on college hockey this weekend since our excitement about college prospects is the highest it has been since about 2000 when the first rumblings about Ryan Miller were happening, and I came across this:

http://collegehockeyinc.com/in-the-nhl

The Sabres have used three 2nd round picks on college/college-bound players in the last two years (McCabe, Compher, and Hurley) and the early returns are pretty good.

As someone who hated the Sekera trade, I'm really encouraged with how well Compher is doing in his freshman season. I really don't follow college hockey at all so my perception could be off, but a point-per-game player as a freshman strikes me as impressive.

As someone who hated the Sekera trade,

Whaa?

I mean, I never hated on Sekera, but I saw a log-jam at defense (especially after selecting Risto and Zads) and Compher had nothing but great remarks said about him.

I'm really encouraged with how well Compher is doing in his freshman season. I really don't follow college hockey at all so my perception could be off, but a point-per-game player as a freshman strikes me as impressive.

It is.

Previous players that I can remember having point per game freshman seasons in the now-Big-Ten schools:

Kyle Turris 35P in 36GP

Jonathan Toews 39P in 42GP

TJ Oshie 45P in 43GP

Some guys with better than point per game freshman seasons:

Phil Kessel 51P in 39GP

Dany Heatley 56P in 38GP

Brendan Morrison 48P in 38GP

JT Compher (24P in 24GP) is 3rd among all skaters in the Big Ten in points per game, 1st among freshmen skaters in Big Ten, and 5th among all NCAA D1 freshmen forwards.

Jake McCabe, btw, is 2nd among Big Ten defensemen and 14th among NCAA D1 defensemen in points per game with 19P in 26GP