Rolston officially #Sabres head coach

spndnchz

You wanted "anybody but Ruff"? You got him.

I didn't expect them to hire a guy with 1 year of pro hockey experience, and the remainder of his resume consists of coaching teenagers. I'd like to go down to the Sabres store at 10, and kick Darcy in the nuts. :angry:

I didn't expect them to hire a guy with 1 year of pro hockey experience, and the remainder of his resume consists of coaching teenagers. I'd like to go down to the Sabres store at 10, and kick Darcy in the nuts. :angry:

I'll let 11 have some fun with the first part of that. As to the second part, I'll chip in some bail money.

I'll let 11 have some fun with the first part of that. As to the second part, I'll chip in some bail money.

Thank you, I will: Plenty of people, although maybe not Blue, pointed to Babcock (2 years pro experience before being hired) and Bylsma (1 year) as what a "successful" organization does.

Just got the text, too. Can't say I am surprised. But I will say this, from where he took over, the Sabres were something like 4-11 or 4-13. To have them finish @ .500, tells me maybe he can coach at this level.

Since the Sabres were playing back-up goalies for the last half of the season it really doesn't say much about him except he stepped in and didn't do much worse. What a joke. Hopefully with a full off-season to prepare he can put something together. Let's see if Darcy helps him out by trading up or trading picks for players...

They are not even close. Not even close. They're both bad, but they're not even close.

At least the Bills have created some hope and aimed high so things can get better. I think it's becoming closer than you think. The Sabres apparently don't even really want McDavid since they hired a coach whose system will keep their record artificially inflated by enough to miss out on a good lottery chance.

At least the Bills have created some hope and aimed high so things can get better. I think it's becoming closer than you think. The Sabres apparently don't even really want McDavid since they hired a coach whose system will keep their record artificially inflated by enough to miss out on a good lottery chance.

There is no hockey equivalent for a football team without a decent quarterback.

Thank you, I will: Plenty of people, although maybe not Blue, pointed to Babcock (2 years pro experience before being hired) and Bylsma (1 year) as what a "successful" organization does.

Yes!!! The Detroit Red Wings...the franchise that the Sabres look up to like a big brother! Pegula idolizes Ilitch, Regier idolizes Holland, and Lindy idolized Babcock. How is that working out for Hockey Heaven?

As far as Bylsma goes, come talk to me when he inherits a team as a head coach without Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fluery, and all the other high draft picks they lucked into.

Yet another sign we're in for a long rebuild.

Agree.

Keep a coach who is used to working with young kids and will be easy to throw into the volcano when we're terrible.

Agree again.

Oh, and we'll get to watch the trap all game every game for at least two years.

I don't have a problem with the decision, save for this -- the style of hockey he apparently advocates/teaches is dull. As a practical matter, though, I think that a young team will win more games sooner if it goes with a variant of the trap than it will if it plays a more aggressive style.

they hired a coach whose system will keep their record artificially inflated by enough to miss out on a good lottery chance.

:wallbash:

Yes!!! The Detroit Red Wings...the franchise that the Sabres look up to like a big brother! Pegula idolizes Ilitch, Regier idolizes Holland, and Lindy idolized Babcock. How is that working out for Hockey Heaven?

As far as Bylsma goes, come talk to me when he inherits a team as a head coach without Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fluery, and all the other high draft picks they lucked into.

Which is what I said about both Bylsma and Babcock for YEARS.

I'm not sure about the idolatry part.

There is no hockey equivalent for a football team without a decent quarterback.

As far as on the ice goes, you're correct. I was referring more to public and national perception of the franchise. I honestly believe the Sabres are approaching the Bills at warp speed.

Archived