Rolston officially #Sabres head coach

spndnchz

Not that this announcement was totally unexpected (nor necessarily wrong), but the timing is just awful. The Sabres seem to list a Director of Public relations on their web site (Mike Gilbert), but I've never heard the name before and never seen the man. This person should be at least consulted as to what gets announced and when. So, if your choice as new head coach is Rolston, why not announce it last week during the presser? Oh, so you were conducting an in-depth coaching search? That took all of 8 days? How in-depth could it have been? Oh, wait...Darcy said he had yet to meet with Rolston...why? Did Ron have other things on his agenda? (Like coaching in the playoffs?)

Just a horrible train wreck. There are junior teams in Canada that can handle things like this better. If the Sabres were not the laughingstock of the NHL this past season, they certainly will be now. Suffering? You ain't seen nothing yet.....

I'm good with Rolston. He earned my respect with some of his bold moves. He may not be the most flamboyantly emotional extrovert out there.....but the guy is very passionate and can make a statement under control. Don't confuse him with Darcy. If those two threw down in an office, I think Rolston drives a knife slowly into Darcy's heart while telling him "shhhhhhhhh", ala Saving Private Ryan.

From what I can tell, Rolston is a players' coach while being a structure driven guy at the same time. Even after he scratched Kaleta, he made sure to defend him going forward and say he knows what Kaleta needs to do to be effective and sometimes you just have to live with the shrapnel. The constant effort he got from 85% of the team was encouraging, minus that little 2 game relapse. Depending on the talent level here, it may be "boring" hockey for a while, and Corsi numbers may look like crap, but I think Rolston has the ability to truly develop a grassroots team effort here and get a new attitude entrenched. He lets the guys play physical, he lets the playmakers get creative as long as they aren't careless or loafing, and you have seen a lot more closing of the shooting lanes and guys selling out to block shots or take a body....especially from a patchwork D corps.

We are still at the mercy of the GM, so until that is changed, it's almost better we don't bring in more of a name coach to burn our chance. For the time being, Rolston is a good choice. He may be a longterm good choice as well....we shall see.

Well, I've explained how much of the board kind of got what it wanted here. When I get to work, I'll explain why this was really the only move for the Sabres.

I still think it's better than having Ruff.

I hope the local media shows no mercy to Regier - it's long overdue for the area media to be as rough on our teams as NYC media is on NYC teams.

Wooooo change #stanleycup2020

How about?

#pegulanaive

#darcyisaconartist

#buffalostupid

LOL

That's your theme song for the Sabres

Come talk to me when you dig your head out of the sand, and take off the rose colored glasses. No coaching search, and you are okay with it? Ron will be waiting for you at Cone King. Sprinkles on your kiddie cone?

This team is most likely going to be in the bottom 5 in the league for the next year or two. Couple that with the fact that Buffalo will have one of the YOUNGEST teams in the league and Rolston seems to be a good fit. He IS a very good teacher so if you want to fire him in 2 years and bring the big gun when this team is ready, fine. I have a feeling Ron won't be here beyond 2 years and once Miller and Vanek are gone, yikes. Get a top 5 pick next year and then the following year, hit FA and get your new coach (unless Ron proves otherwise.).

There is absolutely no reason to touch any FAs and I would just concentrate on trades with the eyes on a run for 2015........

Where is it etched in stone that RR will be great for the young kids? Why? Just because the majority of his resume revolves around coaching U18 teams? You mean like how Brayden McNabb took a huge step back this year? Or is it how Luke Adam's career continues to spiral downward out of control?

Huge leap of faith if you ask me.

Here's why this was the move to make: This team is devoid of talent and is in full rebuild mode. Any "name" coach won't want to come to Buffalo for fear of being fired before the rebuild is complete. No one wants to be the next Guy Boucher.

The Sabres had two choices: stick with the guy they had, or hire someone desperate for an NHL job. In February, they chose the latter path.

This left them, at the end of the season, with two more choices: stick with Rolston, or hire a guy just like him, fresh-faced and desperate for an NHL job. (I still think DR wanted Lavvy, and I am not so sure Lavvy would have taken the job, at least not without a big price tag.)

In that case, might as well stick with the guy they've got, who knows the players and who is good at developing young players.

"Anybody but Ruff" doesn't turn into a big-name coach when the roster is this ######, you see. It turns into a newbie. And that newbie may as well be Rolston as not.

We should have known all along the DR would opt for a safe, non-threatening choice. Who better than an inexperienced coach who has complete allegiance to DR since he hired him in the first place.

Are you talking about Rolston or Ruff?

Oh, snap.

Your losing attitude is baseless.

I've followed the Sabres since Day 1. They have missed the playoffs 7 out of the last 11 years. I'm told the fans will have to suffer. Yeah you're right, my losing attitude is baseless.

Where is it etched in stone that RR will be great for the young kids? Why? Just because the majority of his resume revolves around coaching U18 teams? You mean like how Brayden McNabb took a huge step back this year? Or is it how Luke Adam's career continues to spiral downward out of control?

Luke Adam crumbled while he was up with the Sabres so I would hardly fault RR for that. Other than Luke getting a nice streak going when on Buffalo's top line, I really never saw anything too special in the guy. Not every youth is going to flourish and I would say most of the young guys did pretty damn well under RR when they were up here.

Let's not forget how much freaking talent is lacking on this team. Take a look at some of the top rosters in the league, then take Miller and Vanek out on this roster - shocking, I mean absolutely shocking how far this team has to go.......

Or how he never even tried Grigorenko with Vanek or Hodgson? Maybe Darcy can find some assistants who are coaching PeeWee leagues - they're good with kids.

Archived