Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

I really liked how main characters are finally being brought back together after what has been years. I think the Sansa and John scenes are almost cathartic in a way and I love how she is pushing him. 

Oh yea and Daenerys clever little burn them alive trick... She's a badass. 

Edited by LGR4GM

The Dany burning alive scene was some intense unintentional comedy. So she, Jorah, and Daario set that trap with the help of that one dosh kahleen girl, right?

What flammible substance did they use?

How did the Khal's not smell or detect this gasoline powered substance?

Or is Dany just, like, a fire mage or something?

The way the destruction ensued was something else. Torch pushed over/ .3 seconds elapse/ the entire building is on fire.

I still feel very strangely about two Starks meeting up. More on that later.

The Dany burning alive scene was some intense unintentional comedy. So she, Jorah, and Daario set that trap with the help of that one dosh kahleen girl, right?

So in a world with dragons, ice zombies, resurrections, you want to know how they lit a building on fire? 

So in a world with dragons, ice zombies, resurrections, you want to know how they lit a building on fire?

Yeah. I like to know the details of action scenes. I'm glad that this was something Dany did and that she took agency in her arc instead of being simply rescued.

But when she was pushing over the lamps all I could do was laugh. Game of Thrones is so bad at making stuff look cool.

Game of thrones has been as the kids would say off the chain this season. The pace is really what surprises me, Sansa is running from the Boltons and an episode or two later she is at the wall with Jon Snow. Wait we don't have to follow her through the country side for half a season? How about the mother of dragons busting out of chains (see what I did there?) in 4 episodes? Hey, what's my boy Baelish up to? In five minutes, we are informed and his group is heading to the wall. 

The biggest gripe I've had through all of the seasons was Theon's torture. I understand that we need to know what is happening, but it sure looks now more than ever that those scenes just filled time in episodes. You torture him once or maybe twice and we can assume that it continues off-screen. There are plenty of other examples of slow pacing, but this season feels like all of the fat has been cut away and we're left with only important plot advancements.

The way the destruction ensued was something else. Torch pushed over/ .3 seconds elapse/ the entire building is on fire.

I still feel very strangely about two Starks meeting up. More on that later.

I don't think that there was a flamable substance. It's more likely that Dany is telekinetic, and can manipulate fire with her mind.

Martin writes about telepathy and telekinesis in many of his works.

Warging and dragon riding are probably forms of telepathy. Reanimation, face changing and maybe even shadow babies are probably examples of telekinesis.

Dany most likely isn't fireproof. She most likely has telepathic and telekinetic abilites, which fits into Martin's science fiction writing.

Edited by jad1

Yeah. I like to know the details of action scenes. I'm glad that this was something Dany did and that she took agency in her arc instead of being simply rescued.

But when she was pushing over the lamps all I could do was laugh. Game of Thrones is so bad at making stuff look cool.

Do you watch the show just to make yourself miserable??? Do you write in this thread just to make everyone else who enjoys this show miserable??? Just trying to figure out your motivation.

Do you watch the show just to make yourself miserable??? Do you write in this thread just to make everyone else who enjoys this show miserable??? Just trying to figure out your motivation.

I think about things! I write about them because I'm thinking about them!  Do the things I write really make you that miserable? Why?

I don't think that there was a flamable substance. It's more likely that Dany is telekinetic, and can manipulate fire with her mind.

Warging and dragon riding are probably forms of telepathy. Reanimation, face changing and maybe even shadow babies are probably examples of telekinesis.

Dany most likely isn't fireproof. She most likely has telepathic and telekinetic abilites, which fits into Martin's science fiction writing.

This is the best.

To add on to that, I think it'll go down different in the books. There I feel like Dany will finally make the connection with Drogon, and will either warg into him (less likely to me) or mentally "call" for him (this is my bet). Its hard to show that in the TV show, so they took some liberties and made her fireproof/telekinetic.

To add on to that, I think it'll go down different in the books. There I feel like Dany will finally make the connection with Drogon, and will either warg into him (less likely to me) or mentally "call" for him (this is my bet). Its hard to show that in the TV show, so they took some liberties and made her fireproof/telekinetic.

In the books, I think Drogon will come down to help Dany. Daznak's pit and Dany's single chapter after that are about Dany taking control and starting to tame Drogon.

I think Drogon will show up and fulfill the stallion who mounts the earth prophecy in the eyes of many Dothraki.

Anyone else intrigued by Bran calling out to the young Eddard as he ascended the steps of the Tower of Joy and Eddard pausing, as if he heard something? I think Bran is gonna be flashing some mad skills down the road. 

Anyone else intrigued by Bran calling out to the young Eddard as he ascended the steps of the Tower of Joy and Eddard pausing, as if he heard something? I think Bran is gonna be flashing some mad skills down the road.

That was a really cool touch. I love considering what it means about the setting that everything we know might be the way it is because Bran influenced so many past events.

The editing for that part in the show was miserable, though. They showed the angle of Bran and BR behind Ned ascending the stairs. Then they cut to a close up shot of Ned's face for waaaayyyyy too long. By the time they cut to the reveal shot of Bran and BR having disappeared, too much time elapsed for the effect to have any sort of visceral punch.

Also, I thought Bran and BR should have been in a cooler place to watch the battle. Overlooking from above from a nearby cliff, or from the branches of a tree or something. Having them standing static in the frame right next to the fight took so much of the weight away from the fighting. Like, Bran and BR don't seem that interested or enthralled by this, why should I?

That was a really cool touch. I love considering what it means about the setting that everything we know might be the way it is because Bran influenced so many past events.

I like considering what it may mean because Bran hasn't influenced past events...yet. 

I like considering what it may mean because Bran hasn't influenced past events...yet.

Bwahahahaha. Illyn Payne is about to strike off the head of Ned Stark when Hodor jumps off the head of Baelor the Blessed and karate kicks Ice out of his hands. It flies up into the air, going higher and higher. Hodor stomps Meryn Trant and then has a tender bro hug with the Hound, who reveals himself as a Stark supporter.

Ice, still spinning in the air finally descends and is caught by none other than Grey Wind! BRAN TOUGHT ROBB'S WOLF TO SWORDFIGHT!!!! Ned gets up, kicks Cersei in the boob and runs off with Sansa.

I back it.

Edited by qwksndmonster

In the books, I think Drogon will come down to help Dany. Daznak's pit and Dany's single chapter after that are about Dany taking control and starting to tame Drogon.

I think Drogon will show up and fulfill the stallion who mounts the earth prophecy in the eyes of many Dothraki.

Drogon has already shown up.  ADWD ends with Dany standing next to Drogan when Khal Jhaqo shows up with his 50 warriors.  There's no way she's going to be taken prisoner in the books.  Jhaqo will probably immediately swear an oath to become her blood rider (the Dothraki worship strength, and Drogon represents the ultimate strength).

However, she will, most likely, head to Vaes Dothrak with Jhaqo, due in large part to the prophecy you suggest.  She'll win the remaining Khals without having to burn them alive.

Drogon has already shown up. ADWD ends with Dany standing next to Drogan when Khal Jhaqo shows up with his 50 warriors. There's no way she's going to be taken prisoner in the books. Jhaqo will probably immediately swear an oath to become her blood rider (the Dothraki worship strength, and Drogon represents the ultimate strength).

However, she will, most likely, head to Vaes Dothrak with Jhaqo, due in large part to the prophecy you suggest. She'll win the remaining Khals without having to burn them alive.

Oh yeah her and Drogon are feasting on horse together when the riders roll up.

He might be able to do it, but as Bran becomes more entwined in the weirwood net, he's probably going to lose his free will.  It's pretty apparent that Bran has been called to the cave north of the wall to replace Blood Raven, who by appearance in the books, looks like his expiration date is just around the corner.

I think the opinion of Bran's future is shaped by whether you believe if Blood Raven is acting of his own free will as an independent agent in his current incarnation, or is he no longer sentient and is being used for his ability to send green dreams (telepathy) to key players in the series by other (probably nefarious) forces (cough childrenoftheforest).

He might be able to do it, but as Bran becomes more entwined in the weirwood net, he's probably going to lose his free will.  It's pretty apparent that Bran has been called to the cave north of the wall to replace Blood Raven, who by appearance in the books, looks like his expiration date is just around the corner.

I think the opinion of Bran's future is shaped by whether you believe if Blood Raven is acting of his own free will as an independent agent in his current incarnation, or is he no longer sentient and is being used for his ability to send green dreams (telepathy) to key players in the series by other (probably nefarious) forces (cough childrenoftheforest).

I suspect Bran holds powers that Blood Raven doesn't possess. And Blood Raven knows it. I think Bran is going to be needed in ways Blood Raven never was when it comes to the war that's coming. 

I suspect Bran holds powers that Blood Raven doesn't possess. And Blood Raven knows it. I think Bran is going to be needed in ways Blood Raven never was when it comes to the war that's coming. 

Maybe in the show, but I'm not so sure about that being Bran's path in the books. 

I don't even think that the Three-Eyed Raven is Blood Raven in the show.  In the last episode, the Three-Eyed Raven claims to be entwined in the tree for over a thousand years.  Blood Raven in the book is around 150 years old.  In season 4, the Three-Eyed Raven looked similar to how he is described in the book; in season 6, he's played by Max Von Sydow, and is presented as being much more robust.  A reason for the change in appearance might be that the Three-Eyed Raven accompanies Bran on his vision walks, and the show runners thought it might be distracting having a one-eyed, decomposing corpse walking around the tower of joy.  Overall, the Three-Eyed Raven is presented as more of a mentor to Bran, which could fit into a hero-journey arc for Bran, where he gains knowledge and then plays a key role in the ultimate battle between good and evil. 

But that's in the show.  It's pretty clear that Martin isn't writing ASOIAF in the vein of Tolkien fantasy, and Bran's journey is much darker. 

=====SPOILERS=======================================

In the books, the weirwood cave in which Blood Raven resides is a freakin' house of horror.  Even before arriving to the cave, Bran practices cannibalism when Coldhands kills a group of rangers and feeds them to him, Jojen and Meera.  Inside the cave, the floor is littered with bones.  Blood Raven is described as a decaying corpse, with his skin falling off his skull.  He doesn't eat or drink, and Leaf informs Bran that Blood Raven's life force is leaving him.  Bran slips inside Hodor to explore the caves. Skinchanging into a human is considered an abomination, and he hides what he is doing from Meera nad Jojen.  Jojen is freaking out, almost anticipating the death that he has foreseen for himself.  Bran skinchanges into Summer at night, who hunts zombies with his wolfpack.  Often the moon is described as a crescent, thin and sharp as a knife. 

Blood Raven and the children of the forest he meets (singers) don't instruct him on the origin of the others, or how to defeat them.  In fact they seem totally unconcerned with them.  They teach him how to green-see, and when he slips into those visions, he is alone, without Blood Raven.  Blood Raven explains the mechanics of how green-seeing works, but he doesn't control where Bran goes or restrict him from what he sees.  The Singers build Bran his own weirwood throne, similar to the one Blood Raven is nailed to, and Bran realizes that he will most likely end up like the decaying man.

To add to the horror of all this, the Singers and Blood Raven have Bran eat a bowl of weirwood paste that has red veins in it, like blood.  The first taste is horrible, but the second and third mouthfuls are the most delicious thing he's ever tasted.  When he gets back to the group's sleeping area, Jojen and Meera are missing (Jojen paste? maybe).

As he sleeps, he has a vision from the godswood at Winterfell.  He sees a bunch of scenes of his ancestors.  The last of which is a woman beheading a man, and Bran tastes the blood.

So it's hard to believe, just on the basis of the foreshadowing of all of these events, that Bran is on some kind of hero's journey.  Especially when this imagery is coming from a writer like George Martin.  It's a bit of a stretch to think that Bran is going to evolve from cannibal to something like dragon rider. 

Edited by jad1

Maybe in the show, but I'm not so sure about that being Bran's path in the books. 

I don't even think that the Three-Eyed Raven is Blood Raven in the show.  In the last episode, the Three-Eyed Raven claims to be entwined in the tree for over a thousand years.  Blood Raven in the book is around 150 years old.  In season 4, the Three-Eyed Raven looked similar to how he is described in the book; in season 6, he's played by Max Von Sydow, and is presented as being much more robust.  A reason for the change in appearance might be that the Three-Eyed Raven accompanies Bran on his vision walks, and the show runners thought it might be distracting having a one-eyed, decomposing corpse walking around the tower of joy.  Overall, the Three-Eyed Raven is presented as more of a mentor to Bran, which could fit into a hero-journey arc for Bran, where he gains knowledge and then plays a key role in the ultimate battle between good and evil. 

But that's in the show.  It's pretty clear that Martin isn't writing ASOIAF in the vein of Tolkien fantasy, and Bran's journey is much darker. 

=====SPOILERS=======================================

In the books, the weirwood cave in which Blood Raven resides is a freakin' house of horror.  Even before arriving to the cave, Bran practices cannibalism when Coldhands kills a group of rangers and feeds them to him, Jojen and Meera.  Inside the cave, the floor is littered with bones.  Blood Raven is described as a decaying corpse, with his skin falling off his skull.  He doesn't eat or drink, and Leaf informs Bran that Blood Raven's life force is leaving him.  Bran slips inside Hodor to explore the caves. Skinchanging into a human is considered an abomination, and he hides what he is doing from Meera nad Jojen.  Jojen is freaking out, almost anticipating the death that he has foreseen for himself.  Bran skinchanges into Summer at night, who hunts zombies with his wolfpack.  Often the moon is described as a crescent, thin and sharp as a knife. 

Blood Raven and the children of the forest he meets (singers) don't instruct him on the origin of the others, or how to defeat them.  In fact they seem totally unconcerned with them.  They teach him how to green-see, and when he slips into those visions, he is alone, without Blood Raven.  Blood Raven explains the mechanics of how green-seeing works, but he doesn't control where Bran goes or restrict him from what he sees.  The Singers build Bran his own weirwood throne, similar to the one Blood Raven is nailed to, and Bran realizes that he will most likely end up like the decaying man.

To add to the horror of all this, the Singers and Blood Raven have Bran eat a bowl of weirwood paste that has red veins in it, like blood.  The first taste is horrible, but the second and third mouthfuls are the most delicious thing he's ever tasted.  When he gets back to the group's sleeping area, Jojen and Meera are missing (Jojen paste? maybe).

As he sleeps, he has a vision from the godswood at Winterfell.  He sees a bunch of scenes of his ancestors.  The last of which is a woman beheading a man, and Bran tastes the blood.

So it's hard to believe, just on the basis of the foreshadowing of all of these events, that Bran is on some kind of hero's journey.  Especially when this imagery is coming from a writer like George Martin.  It's a bit of a stretch to think that Bran is going to evolve from cannibal to something like dragon rider. 

My apologies for any confusion. Although I've read the books, I am speculating only in terms of the television show. The characters and story lines on the show have been so combined, altered, shortened, changed, ignored etc. etc., that I hardly think of them as the same story anymore. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.