2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

McNABB TO ROCHESTER, FOLIGNO'S PLAY TRENDING UPWARD

The Buffalo Sabres assigned defenseman Brayden McNabb to the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League on Wednesday, but Sabres interim coach Ted Nolan said not to expect him there for very long.

McNabb’s been a healthy scratch for Buffalo the past two games and with the Amerks hosting Utica on Wednesday, he’ll have an opportunity to log some big minutes right away.

“The greatest thing about having the Rochester Americans so close [is that] he can go down and play,” Nolan said after practice at First Niagara Center. “He’s sat out almost five days now, so right now we can get him some game action and we’ll recall him right after the game.”

Right wing Matt D’Agostini and defenseman Alexander Sulzer did not practice. Nolan said that D’Agostini is fighting the flu and hopes that he’ll be available Thursday night when the Sabres host the New York Rangers. Sulzer, meanwhile, has not taken the ice all week as he deals with an undisclosed injury.

26 Matt Moulson – 19 Cody Hodgson – 21 Drew Stafford

9 Steve Ott – 23 Ville Leino

72 Luke Adam – 63 Tyler Ennis / 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 28 Zemgus Girgensons

32 John Scott – 8 Cody McCormick / 65 Brian Flynn – 82 Marcus Foligno

Defense: 3 Mark Pysyk, 4 Jamie McBain, 6 Mike Weber, 10 Christian Ehrhoff, 20 Henrik Tallinder, 57 Tyler Myers

30 Ryan Miller

1 Jhonas Enroth

Power Play

First Unit

Moulson – Hodgson – Ennis

Stafford – Ehrhoff

Second Unit

Adam – Ott – Leino

Myers – McBain

Does anyone else find the idea of Stafford on the point scary? Or is it just me?

I couldn't tell if Eleven was kidding or not about my comments on Drew on the PP. He looked good the other night at the point. It doesn't scare me as at all and the PP couldn't be any worse, anyway.

I couldn't tell if Eleven was kidding or not about my comments on Drew on the PP. He looked good the other night at the point. It doesn't scare me as at all and the PP couldn't be any worse, anyway.

I thought he looked good as well. Really brimming with confidence.

And realistically, what other forward would you put back there? I can't think of too many that have any scoring touch and defensive ability who isn't already playing on the PP.

New lines today at practice

Foligno-Ott-Stafford

Moulson-Ennis-Girgensons

Adam-Hodgson-D'Agostini

Scott/Flynn-Leino-McCormick

Sulzer is back

@BillHoppeNHL

Brayden McNabb manning a point on the power play during practice. Might be a sign he's going back in tomorrow. #Sabres

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres practicing power play. 1st unit: Moulson-Hodgson-Ennis. McBain-Ehrhoff. 2nd unit: Foligno-Ott-Stafford. McNabb-Myers.

@BuffaloSabres

On #Sabres PK: 1st unit. McCormick-Flynn. Sulzer-Pysyk. 2nd unit. Girgensons-Adam/D'Agostini. Weber-Tallinder.

Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Ted Nolan Press Conference (12/9/13)

Dan Dunleavy recaps Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Sabres In :90 (12/9/13)

Matt Moulson speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Matt Moulson Interview (12/9/13)

Cody Hodgson speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center : Cody Hodgson Interview (12/9/13)

Zemgus Girgensons speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Zemgus Girgensons Interview (12/9/13)

BEYOND THE BOARDS: HARD WORK PAYS OFF FOR GIRGENSONS

Zemgus Girgensons always appears to be on a mission to prove something. The 19-year-old rookie forward scored a highlight-reel goal against the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday, his first since the season opener, taking two Habs defensemen with him as he drove to the net and beat goaltender Carey Price.

After practice at First Niagara Center on Monday, he tried to downplay the personal significance of that early third-period goal, which put Buffalo back in the game. Ultimately, they lost the Canadiens 3-2.

“Probably the best confidence booster for all of us would be a win,” he said. “[it was] definitely nice to get a goal and the whole team is struggling with them, so it’s definitely nice to get one.”

Sabres interim coach Ted Nolan switched up the lines at practice Monday and moved Girgensons up with center Tyler Ennis and left wing Matt Moulson. Girgensons knows that he’s going to have to keep going to the blue paint while playing a hard-nosed style in order to have continued success.

“Every game, I can’t let my work ethic go down because that’s pretty much why I’m here,” Girgensons said. “When I do something like that, it just shows people that I can be here.”

New lines today at practice

Foligno-Ott-Stafford

Moulson-Ennis-Girgensons

Adam-Hodgson-D'Agostini

Scott/Flynn-Leino-McCormick

Sulzer is back

@BillHoppeNHL

Brayden McNabb manning a point on the power play during practice. Might be a sign he's going back in tomorrow. #Sabres

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres practicing power play. 1st unit: Moulson-Hodgson-Ennis. McBain-Ehrhoff. 2nd unit: Foligno-Ott-Stafford. McNabb-Myers.

@BuffaloSabres

On #Sabres PK: 1st unit. McCormick-Flynn. Sulzer-Pysyk. 2nd unit. Girgensons-Adam/D'Agostini. Weber-Tallinder.

I was wondering how long it was going to take Nolan to get Foligno off the 4th line. He should NEVER be on the 4th line unless the top 3 lines are vastly more talented (they need about 7 more players to make that happen) or he's been demoted to "relearn" his game. Marcus has a modecum of skill don't waste it on a line with 32 and 8. Flynn or some other demoted forward should be the only ones on that line. Foligno has second line potential if not a complementary power forward on a top line.

I am so glad they have separated Moulson and Hodgson.

Cody is a give and go player. Matt is a lurker, who collects the garbage left by a puck handler.

He doesn't want the puck until it's time to finish and needs to play with Ennis or Leino.

I like the Ennis line, but I'd move Leino up with Ott and Stafford and play them against the top lines.

Hodgson Adam Foligno could do some damage and show some growth with some more sheltered minutes, something Cody hasn't seen all year.

Did you intentionally leave that vague so people flip out about the KHL? :)

Yup. If people don't listen to Nolan, read the sabres news, or check the board where it was discussed that is their problem. Hell two of our guys went together and it was talked about at length several days ago.

Grigorenko and Zadorov have gone to Russia.

Yup. If people don't listen to Nolan, read the sabres news, or check the board where it was discussed that is their problem. Hell two of our guys went together and it was talked about at length several days ago.

C'mon. Dude lives in the UK and may have had other things to do in the last week, like follow the Ashes (ouch) or something.

C'mon. Dude lives in the UK and may have had other things to do in the last week, like follow the Ashes (ouch) or something.

O very well.

Mikhail Grigorenko and Nikita Zadorov are on loan to the Russian team for the IIHF WJC.

IIHF@IIHFHockey 6 Dec

Russia named its camp roster for World Juniors in Malmö, will get Mikhail Grigorenko on loan from @BuffaloSabres http://www.worldjunior2014.com/en/news/rus-camp-roster/ …

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 4 Dec

Sabres center Mikhail Grigorenko has posted on his Facebook page that he is heading to Russia with Nikita Zadorov (for world juniors).

Yes, it is almost like some of us might have busy lives and sometimes miss a piece of news or two now and again. Weird.

Archived