2013-2014 Roster Projection Thoughts

qwksndmonster

I'll admit to the bias of actually liking Leino.

Stafford 25GP 2G 6A 65 shots 3.1 shooting %

Leino 13GP 0G 3A 7 shots 0 shooting %

That's two very unique kinds of terrible.

Yeah. Thats what I was getting at and I agree with you. If he was paid a more reasonable salary for the job he does I'd be a fan. Right now not so much. He can never live up to that contract imo.

Just to play devil's advocate: if Leino continues to hustle without being productive, what purpose would be served by buying him out? The Sabres will have plenty of cap space (unless they can convince a bunch of expensive players to come here, which doesn't seem likely) and they don't have 12 forwards who are better than Leino.

It is time for some results. Hustle and energy are good, but I'd rather have a lazy guy who puts the puck in the net regularly than a Matt Ellis who gives maximum effort, but can't score. At the end of the day, the only stats that matters are goals for and goals against.

But who do we have that fits that description?

But who do we have that fits that description?

Some on this board might say CoHo.

The only guys we have who are in the top 200 players league-wide in points so far this year are CoHo and Moulson. And, Moulson got a bunch of those with the Isles. Everyone else has single-digit points. Time for some guys other than CoHo to step up and put the puck in the net.

Just to play devil's advocate: if Leino continues to hustle without being productive, what purpose would be served by buying him out? The Sabres will have plenty of cap space (unless they can convince a bunch of expensive players to come here, which doesn't seem likely) and they don't have 12 forwards who are better than Leino.

Sorry to rely on cliches, but culture change.

Like it or not, Leino's salary and veteran status make him a leader. His production does not.

Send a message. Give someone else the money and/or a chance to do a better job in that roster spot.

Maybe we overpay for another Leino-type.

Maybe it opens a roster spot so a longshot emerges, like Matt Moulson did for the Islanders.

Maybe use the cap space to pick up a salary dump to sweeten a trade.

None of these scenarios make us worse.

This isn't Hodgson or Myers, where we still haven't seen the best of this player.

We've had too many years of carrying underachievers on the roster.

If it's not working, change it.

Sorry to rely on cliches, but culture change.

Like it or not, Leino's salary and veteran status make him a leader. His production does not.

Send a message. Give someone else the money and/or a chance to do a better job in that roster spot.

Maybe we overpay for another Leino-type.

Maybe it opens a roster spot so a longshot emerges, like Matt Moulson did for the Islanders.

Maybe use the cap space to pick up a salary dump to sweeten a trade.

None of these scenarios make us worse.

This isn't Hodgson or Myers, where we still haven't seen the best of this player.

We've had too many years of carrying underachievers on the roster.

If it's not working, change it.

This is a pretty good case for dumping him, and I probably agree.

I guess I wouldn't be too upset if he continues to hustle and they kept him, mostly because he's more of a Hecht-type glue guy as opposed to a natural scorer -- and with the dearth of finishers on this team it's probably not realistic to expect him to put up 40 pts.

But I'd be fine with moving on.

I agree that we probably won't need the cap space, but even the small chance we might in 2-3,years justifies him being gone. If this weren't the last year for compliance buyouts I may feel differently, but it's a now or never thing to get that contract off the books. At this point I have zero faith in him staying healthy or producing if he manages health, so I really don't see any compelling upside to keeping him.

I agree that we probably won't need the cap space, but even the small chance we might in 2-3,years justifies him being gone. If this weren't the last year for compliance buyouts I may feel differently, but it's a now or never thing to get that contract off the books. At this point I have zero faith in him staying healthy or producing if he manages health, so I really don't see any compelling upside to keeping him.

This is a very good point.

Luke Adam speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Luke Adam Interview (11/26/13)

Matt Moulson speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Matt Moulson Interview (11/26/13)

Ville Leino speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Ville Leino Interview (11/26/13)

Matthew Coller (WGR): Nolan finds chemistry with 'Age Group' line

Buffalo Sabres' interim head coach Ted Nolan now knows everyone's name. During the first few games, he quipped, he was forced to say “hey you!” on the bench. Now he's got it though. And now he can start hunting for players' skill sets that gel together.

At a glance, putting 19-year-old Mikhail Grigorenko with 19-year-old Zemgus Girgensons and 23-year-old Luke Adam on a line might appear to be the antithesis of what Nolan griped over when he took the reins from Ron Rolston. The Sabres' interim honcho said he was partial to the veteran players and felt it unfair that under-20s had to face the league's best.

But he's been forced per the NHL to give Grigorenko a shot – they rejected Buffalo's attempt to send him to Rochester for a few weeks.

“Anyone can see his skill set,” Nolan said following Tuesday's practice. “He's a big man and has a tremendous shot. It all comes down to maturity before he'll be able to demonstrate the skill at the National Hockey League level.

D'AGOSTINI READY FOR ANOTHER NEW OPPORTUNITY, WILL PLAY WITH LEINO AND OTT

Video of Dunleavy Recap, Nolan Presser, and D'Agostini linked.

A day after being claimed off waivers, Matt D’Agostini was on the ice with his new club, the Buffalo Sabres, shaking hands and getting to know some of his new teammates.

D’Agostini had been waived by the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday and had to wait until noon Wednesday to find out if he’d be on his way to the minors or another NHL city.

“[Pittsburgh] told me the news and then you have the most anxious 24 hours of your life,” D’Agostini said after Buffalo’s optional practice Thursday at First Niagara Center. “Again, that’s just the way it goes in this sport. Guys come and go so I’m excited about my opportunity.”

Buffalo is D’Agostini’s fourth NHL club in the past two years. St. Louis traded him to New Jersey last season – where he played with Sabres defenseman Henrik Tallinder – and he signed a one-year contract with the Penguins this summer.

@BuffaloSabres

McCormick and Flynn swapping spots on 4th line with Foligno, Scott. #Sabres

@BuffaloSabres

7 #Sabres D at practice so lots of rotating. D-men present are Ehrhoff, McBain, McNabb, Myers, Pysyk, Tallinder, Weber.

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres lines at practice: Moulson-Hodgson-Stafford Ott-Leino-D'Agostini Girgensons-Grigorenko-Adam-Ennis (rotating) Foligno-McCormick-Scott

Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Ted Nolan Press Conference (12/2/13)

Dan Dunleavy recaps Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Sabres In :90 (12/2/13)

Marcus Foligno speaks with Dan Dunleavy following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Marcus Foligno Interview (12/2/13)

Tyler Ennis speaks with Dan Dunleavy following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Tyler Ennis Interview (12/2/13)

Matt D'Agostini speaks with Dan Dunleavy following Monday's practice at First Niagara Center: Matt D'Agostini Interview (12/2/13)

STAFFORD GETS BACK TO THE POINT

Drew Stafford has a new perspective while on the Buffalo Sabres power play, but it’s one he’s quite familiar with.

He’s been play playing the point, which is something he hasn’t done consistently since his college days. He was there for a few games at the end of last season and now finds himself back with his heels on the blue line.

Toward the end of the team’s morning skate before their game against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Friday, the Sabres did some brief work on special teams. One notable change was Stafford working on the blue line and Sabres interim coach Ted Nolan used him there that night.

“It would be nice to get some practice in as well. We were just kind of throwing that together right before the game so we haven’t had much time to work on it but I think it’s only going to get better,” Stafford said after practice at First Niagara Center. “I love it.”

SABRES RECHARGE, PREPARE FOR THURSDAY

Defenseman Alexander Sulzer was given a maintenance day and did not practice with the team.

Nolan said that center Cody McCormick, who has missed the past four games with an upper-body injury, is ready to return to the lineup. A roster move would have to be made once the team is ready to activate him from the injured reserve list.

26 Matt Moulson – 19 Cody Hodgson – 21 Drew Stafford

9 Steve Ott – 23 Ville Leino – 27 Matt D’Agostini

72 Luke Adam – 63 Tyler Ennis / 25 Mikhail Grigorenko – 28 Zemgus Girgensons

32 John Scott – 65 Brian Flynn / 8 Cody McCormick – 82 Marcus Foligno

10 Christian Ehrhoff – 44 Brayden McNabb

20 Henrik Tallinder – 57 Tyler Myers

6 Mike Weber – 3 Mark Pysyk

4 Jamie McBain

30 Ryan Miller

1 Jhonas Enroth

Oh, and in case anyone gives a ######, here's the NHL equivalency chart, modifiers of the points per game stat:

Russian Super League 0.83

Czech Republic League 0.74

Swedish Elite League 0.78

Finland SM-Liiga 0.54

AHL/IHL 0.44

Switzerland National League 0.43

Deutsche Eishockey League 0.52

NCAA0.41

Canadian Major Juniors 0.29

So for example, if Armia scores 100pts in 149 games in SM-Liiga, you might expect he should score 0.54 times as much in the NHL, or 0.54*100/149*82 = 29.7 points. I thought it was interesting to see the different "strengths" of the leagues compared.

One more to add:

QMJHL 0.000

Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Ted Nolan Press Conference (12/3/13)]

Dan Dunleavy recaps Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Sabres In :90 (12/3/13)

Steve Ott speaks with Dan Dunleavy following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Steve Ott Interview (12/3/13)

Cody McCormick speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Cody McCormick Interview (12/3/13)

Ville Leino speaks with the media following Tuesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Ville Leino Interview (12/3/13)

Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Ted Nolan Press Conference (12/4/13)]

Dan Dunleavy recaps Wednesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Sabres In :90 (12/4/13)

John Scott speaks with Dan Dunleavy following Wednesday's practice at First Niagara Center: John Scott Interview (12/4/13)

Tyler Myers speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Tyler Myers Interview (12/4/13)

Mikhail Grigorenko speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at First Niagara Center: Mikhail Grigorenko Interview (12/4/13)

Archived