If the Bruins are the measuring stick for the Sabres....

26CornerBlitz

2011 playoffs.

Well, Steve Ott may have helped there, but if the sabres are trying to fix a weakness exposed by Philly in 2011 John Scott isn't the answer. Philly didn't then, and doesn't now have the type of player that John Scott is a deterence for.

• 3 months later...

Right now their timeline is somewhere between a decade and infinity to play catch up to the real teams in the NHL.

Without Miller and Vanek we will bury them....lol they were such a drag on the team in those games against the Bruins

Without Miller and Vanek we will bury them....lol they were such a drag on the team in those games against the Bruins

You mean the ones where Vanek either scored or assisted on every goal in the game? If only he wasn't so lazy...

The Blue and Gold has quite a bit of ground to make up.

I was thinking about this on the throne today.....who could play for Boston right now?

I guess Vanek could take Jagr's spot. Hodgson could be their #3 center if he plays defense. Ehrhoff could be a 2nd pairing and Weber a 3rd....I think Sekera is too timid to play their style. Ott would fit in, and maybe Kaleta and Gerbe as a checking line.

Horton WANTED to take that game last night, and it is sad to think of what Stafford could have been. Marchand has all the tools of Ennis but is nasty and has confidence. At this point Rask looks like he is better than Miller.

We're 40% of the way there. Just need 2 top centers, 2 top 6 wingers, 3 defensemen with size who can absord hits and make outlets, and for Myers to go see the Wizzard of Oz and a cardiologist....

I was thinking about this on the throne today.....who could play for Boston right now?

I guess Vanek could take Jagr's spot. Hodgson could be their #3 center if he plays defense. Ehrhoff could be a 2nd pairing and Weber a 3rd....I think Sekera is too timid to play their style. Ott would fit in, and maybe Kaleta and Gerbe as a checking line.

Horton WANTED to take that game last night, and it is sad to think of what Stafford could have been. Marchand has all the tools of Ennis but is nasty and has confidence. At this point Rask looks like he is better than Miller.

We're 40% of the way there. Just need 2 top centers, 2 top 6 wingers, 3 defensemen with size who can absord hits and make outlets, and for Myers to go see the Wizzard of Oz and a cardiologist....

Pretty spot on here, I think you're identifying the pieces we need pretty well. I also think we could fill some of theses spots with talent we already have moving up and build a decent if not elite roster.

And it is indeed sad to think what Stafford should be, and what he is. If I have one hope for the Sabres it is that Drew Stafford spends every single day in this offseason looking in the mirror and contemplates what he is as a hockey player, and what he should be, and that he does not relent until he is filled with what my ancestors called Óðr, divine fury. If it takes consuming fly agaric so be it. Just find a way to be blessed with the rage of Odin and go berserk.

Pretty spot on here, I think you're identifying the pieces we need pretty well. I also think we could fill some of theses spots with talent we already have moving up and build a decent if not elite roster.

And it is indeed sad to think what Stafford should be, and what he is. If I have one hope for the Sabres it is that Drew Stafford spends every single day in this offseason looking in the mirror and contemplates what he is as a hockey player, and what he should be, and that he does not relent until he is filled with what my ancestors called Óðr, divine fury. If it takes consuming fly agaric so be it. Just find a way to be blessed with the rage of Odin and go berserk.

The old Gatorade Slogan was Is it in You? In the case of Stafford, sadly the answer is NO.

The Bruins were a minute away from blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Leafs, let's not pretend they're some unstoppable, flawless, insurmountable juggernaut. They're a hell of a team and of course much better than the Sabres, but it need not take three decades to reach their level--the line between Cup and chump isn't exactly the Grand Canyon.

The Bruins were a minute away from blowing a 3-1 series lead to the Leafs, let's not pretend they're some unstoppable, flawless, insurmountable juggernaut. They're a hell of a team and of course much better than the Sabres, but it need not take three decades to reach their level--the line between Cup and chump isn't exactly the Grand Canyon.

Nice post, I agree.

The old Gatorade Slogan was Is it in You? In the case of Stafford, sadly the answer is NO.

So fly agaric it is then, that will put it in you

Yeah, the Bruins look like they are rolling right now, but to my eyes they are fortunate to be up 3-0. They can thank a few key factors such as Rask, Vokun and the posts for where they are at. They've played the Pens excellently and contained the talent while exploiting their weakness to a T, yet with a bounce here and there they could just as easily be down 1-2 in the series.

As someone said early on in this thread, I'd rather see the Sabres modeled like Chicago than Boston

As someone said early on in this thread, I'd rather see the Sabres modeled like Chicago than Boston

That was Chz who said that. Whatever the model, pick a philosophy and unwaveringly construct the team that way. Either of these would be great if you assume the right people are making the talent evaluations. Hard to make such an assumption under the current regime.

That was Chz who said that. Whatever the model, pick a philosophy and unwaveringly construct the team that way. Either of these would be great if you assume the right people are making the talent evaluations. Hard to make such an assumption under the current regime.

We have reached perfect agreement.

Whatever the model, pick a philosophy and unwaveringly construct the team that way.

Up until the middle of this season, that's pretty much what the Sabres did - unfortunately they apparently had an unwavering commitment to the philosophy of cream-puff soft play.

Up until the middle of this season, that's pretty much what the Sabres did - unfortunately they apparently had an unwavering commitment to the philosophy of cream-puff soft play.

Guess I should have qualified it by saying pick a "winning" philosophy. :)

Carolina is built for the playoffs I think. if there defense just plays simple and moves the puck I think they got a shot to go deep. Dare I say Carolina is gonna be the new blueprint for team building? skill forwards that all have speed and/or size lead by some big strong guys with speed that are equally happy to take the puck from you as rip your head off for daring to touch their puck. My prediction if Carolina grabs a veteran D like say leopold or anyother one that might be available that can move the puck they are the darkhorse for the cup.

I'm not using this guy's advice for sports wagers any time soon. :P

Archived