The other sports thread

Eleven

I hope the Jays and Yanks just keep focusing on each other... No need to look behind you... Nothing to see there...

I think the O's really piled on today.

EDIT TO ADD:

As of now your O's are tied for the second AL Wildcard.

Fear the bird.

(Blue birds, that is)

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

A day after halting a 2 game losing streak and preventing a sweep at the hands of those dastardly Yankees this is the thanks that Drew Hutchinson gets ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-ship-drew-hutchison-to-triple-a-despite-recent-turnaround-1.3194077

I know he has been hot and cold this year, but he has pitched pretty well lately. 

Too bad David Price can't pitch every day.

A huge win for the Jays in LA and every one else did their part to help out.

Jays 1/2 game behind Yanks in the AL East and now with a 4 game lead in the first AL Wildcard spot.

Still a lot of baseball to be played, but things look good right now.

Imagine if I were a real baseball fan, I'm not even that big of a Jays fan, but Toronto is my home town, even though I have disowned it along time ago.  Halifax is my adopted home town.

GO MOOSEHEADS!!

Question for NS, or any other Canadians....

Is Canuck considered a derogatory term similar to Redskins in America?

In Canada when Canuck is used by Canadians it is not considered derogatory.

When used by other nationalities ... US, for example, it may be depending on the intention of the user.

I believe it was started in the 1800's by Americans as a derogatory term directed mostly at French Canadiens / Canadians, but I may be wrong on that.

The Vancouver Canucks would not use that nickname if it were self-derogatory in nature.

-----

If any one does not think that Josh Donaldson will be the AL MVP this year just watch the highlights from last nights Blue Jays destruction on the LA Angels.

Here is a link to make it easy for you ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/josh-donaldson-drives-in-6-in-blue-jays-rout-of-angels-1.3200686

If any one does not think that Josh Donaldson will be the AL MVP this year just watch the highlights from last nights Blue Jays destruction on the LA Angels.

Here is a link to make it easy for you ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/josh-donaldson-drives-in-6-in-blue-jays-rout-of-angels-1.3200686

For Canuck eyes only.

Speaking of deaths in sports, Bob Gurnsey, one of the inventors of the game of paintball, passed away this morning after a long battle with leukemia. I've been playing this game for probably 15 years and I owe a lot to this man for the friends I've made and the fun I've had. Godspeed Bob.

The history of paintball: https://nicolpawn.ca/paintball-blog.php/2011/05/27/history-of-paintball-markers

In May of 1981, in Henniker, New Hampshire, the principle creators: Bob Gurnsey, Hayes Noel and Charles Gaines discussed the idea of finally having their first paintball game. The Nel-spot 007 marker was purchased and subsequently tested on its first human - Shelby Gaines (Charles' son) who said, "It didn't hurt much!" The invitations to the first paintball game attracted 9 people (plus the original three made for a total of 12 players). The nine paid $175.00 each, which covered equipment costs, food and adult beverages

Surprised noone is bringing up the tragic accident at Pocono this weekend. Justin Wilson succumbed to his injuries today. Rest in peace.

This will lead to a canopy being installed on the cars, turning it into a fighter jet cockpit.

It should anyway. Tragic.

So, the Yankees played their last game in hand on the Jays last night and won.

http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/baseball/mlb-standings.aspx?page=/data/mlb/standings/2015/league/standings.html

The teams now have identical records with the same # of games to play entering the stretch run.

GO JAYS GO.

-----

EDIT TO ADD:

The Jays and the Yankees play each other several times in September, hopefully those games will decide the division winner ... probably will.

Not surprised about Schilling. Espn shouldn't have been surprised either.

Anyone a Mets fan around these parts? The lineup is now very deep and dangerous after the deadline moves and Wright coming back. The pitching is young but very promising. They're on a roll and they have the easiest remaining schedule. Could be dangerous the rest of the way and in the playoffs.

Got some cheap tickets to see them in Cincinnati in late September. Can't wait. Reds fans are practically giving their tickets away.

Hey penny pinching Mets ownership: sign Cespedes!

So, the Yankees played their last game in hand on the Jays last night and won.

http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/baseball/mlb-standings.aspx?page=/data/mlb/standings/2015/league/standings.html

The teams now have identical records with the same # of games to play entering the stretch run.

GO JAYS GO.

-----

EDIT TO ADD:

The Jays and the Yankees play each other several times in September, hopefully those games will decide the division winner ... probably will.

I hope you enjoyed the gift the Jays received in the 9th last night.  Adrian Beltre doesn't give gifts like that to just anyone, you know.

I hope you enjoyed the gift the Jays received in the 9th last night.  Adrian Beltre doesn't give gifts like that to just anyone, you know.

Why yes, yes I did.  Thank you for asking and pass along my thanks to Mr. Beltre.  

Really, though, your Rangers deserved better that night.

------

Not quite a baker's dozen last night, but at least the Jays earned every on of them and didn't have it handed to them.

With the Yankees being smoked by Houston the Jays are 2 games up in the East.

The finally in Texas is this afternoon, I believe ... get away day.