The other sports thread

Eleven

I think the scariest thing for fans of the other teams in the AL East is that next season the Yankees might be able to get a hit out of the #2 slot and field a grounder that goes 3' left of second base.

That said, super classy last night for the Yank's letting the O's tie it up and the O's tossing him a fat one.

So much like Claude I've avoided most sports coverage the last 24 hours. I did have to page through the accounts of DJ's greatness on social media after last nights walk off. Only this morning did I find out it was a freaking single. BTW everyone was gushing I was certain it was a homerun. SMH...

Edited by inkman

So much like Claude I've avoided most sports coverage the last 24 hours. I did have to page through the accounts of DJ's greatness on social media after last nights walk off. Only this morning did I find out it was a freaking single. BTW everyone was gushing I was certain it was a homerun. SMH...

A single to right field is a "Derek Jeter Homerun"

I think the scariest thing for fans of the other teams in the AL East is that next season the Yankees might be able to get a hit out of the #2 slot and field a grounder that goes 3' left of second base.

Nice. I think I'm going to use this to confuse and frustrate my Yankee friends who can't wrap their head around the team not making the playoffs for 3 years and Jeter not having been good for longer than that.

Nice. I think I'm going to use this to confuse and frustrate my Yankee friends who can't wrap their head around the team not making the playoffs for 3 years and Jeter not having been good for longer than that.

There was no convincing any Yankee fan that I know that he was killing them defensively for decent span. Analytics had him rated in the bottom third during that stretch.

Great player, nice career, probably should have been at 1st or DH for the last 5 years.

Now try explaining that Jeter wouldn't have had all these post season moments of greatness if he didn't have Hall of Famers up and down the lineup for the last 2 decades.

It was an awesome moment from a rare "breath of fresh air" player who stuck with one franchise for 20 years. For all the hate he's getting you would think he slapped his wife and not a game-winning single.

Great moment.

Mostly my crusade is a preemptive strike declaring that Jeter is Not Cal Ripken, Jr. He was not the Offensive Player Cal was, he was not even close to the Defensive Player Cal was, he is on par as a person and ambassador for the game.

Jeter is a first ballot hall of famer and was sorely needed to be the face of the franchise that was the face of the sport at a time when its image was absolutely crumbling. An awesome "right guy, right place, right time" situation. But Baseball is a sport of history and comparison, and Jeter is going to be compared to the great shortstops of all time. He's not even close to the greatest shortstop to play the game in the last 25 years.

That's what makes baseball special: history. Derek Jeter is a hugely important part of that history, but he doesn't get on Rushmore.

Ok. Batting average. I see where your coming from.

He's the best shortstop to play the game in the last 100 years. Rushmore.

So you think he's one of the greatest 4 players of all time? Come on man! I need to know the other 3 guys on your mountain.

Depends on if you think Mount Rushmore for sports is about honor, what they meant to the game or how good they were. I'll do mine completely ignoring honor and mixing the last two...

Time to get ripped apart (remember it's about ability and what you meant to the game):

Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds.

If we're going with the honor route them:

Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Willie Mays and Cy Young.

Edited by Tankalicious

There was no convincing any Yankee fan that I know that he was killing them defensively for decent span. Analytics had him rated in the bottom third during that stretch.

Great player, nice career, probably should have been at 1st or DH for the last 5 years.

Now try explaining that Jeter wouldn't have had all these post season moments of greatness if he didn't have Hall of Famers up and down the lineup for the last 2 decades.

I think the true spot where Jeter should be on the greatness spectrum is halfway between where yankees fans would put him and where you would put him.

His career stats and all time rank

Games played: 2,747 (26th)

At-bats: 11,195 (7th)

Runs: 1,923 (9th)

Average: .309 (77th - tied)

Hits: 3,465 (6th)

Total bases: 4,921 (21st)

Doubles: 544 (29th)

Triples: 66 (433rd - tied)

Home runs: 260 (189th - tied)

RBI: 1,311 (104th - tied)

Walks: 1,082 (85th)

Strikeouts: 1,840 (85th)

Stolen bases: 358 (103rd)

Caught stealing: 97 (126th - tied)

On-base percentage: .377 (128th - tied)

Slugging percentage: .440 (296th - tied)

OPS: .817 (212th - tied)

I think he is over-rated for sure, just because people rate him as a top 10 player of all time. Definitely a HOFer though

But if you're talking all-time you can't just ignore older generations. At least not in baseball. Basketball is easier to ignore older generations, but you can't do it with baseball.

I agree with you, but I don't know how you would go about doing it properly. You can't compare them statistically as the two eras are so drastically different. You can't compare them using the eyeball test as none of us saw them play. That's why when it comes to baseball I think you need to separate the two eras. All time greats from different eras, no cross comparisons haha.

I mean trying to compare jeter to a SS a hundred years ago is tough one!