Assistant Captains

LGR4GM

So 2 of our assistant captains are now gone. Who gets an A now? Could be way to early to even ask this question but what the hell?

My 2 choices:

A) Ehrhoff, he seemed like a hard worker and a leader last season and I would love a defensmen to get a letter expecially with our young defense core. Ehrhoff is signed for a decade and he will undoubtedly always try to win us a cup and I think he generally likes it here. Every once in awhile Ehrhoff it seems you see ehrhoff directing traffic on the ice and such and thats why I would like him to be officially a assistant capt.

B) I am Tempted to say Ott for obvious reasons and that might be a great choice but I want to go in a different direction just for fun. If we don't give Ott a letter than what about Hodgson? Kids been called a leader, I'd like to believe if you gave him a letter it would elivate his game an make him the player we all want. Might as well start grooming a leader for the new core now right?

I'll bang the "have the team elect them" drum again this summer, I guess.

And there's no need for 4 alternate captains, either. 1 C, 2 As. None of this home-and-away stuff. Keep the accountability and leadership centralized. (I'd say just one C, and no As, like the old days, but that's not going to happen.)

And there's no need for 4 alternate captains, either. 1 C, 2 As. None of this home-and-away stuff. Keep the accountability and leadership centralized. (I'd say just one C, and no As, like the old days, but that's not going to happen.)

I agree. We need some Leadership stability.

Whoever is selected, I hope it's two guys who not only show leadership qualities, but who can also demonstrate characteristics Pominville does not. I like his on-ice "Lead by Example" approach, but I think we need someone who is not afraid to get vocal as well as someone who doesn't shy from accountability, including holding others accountable.

We have guys who fit these molds as far as I can tell from my couch. Hodgson and Regehr would be my guess. This is assuming our present day roster is set.

C = Pominville. He earned it last season, he was our leader in every field.

A = Myers. Probably our future captain, his our no.1 defensemen.

A = Vanek. He hasn't earnt being stripped of the A, has a good attitude.

I like Ehrhoff for A but I'm not sure I like having 3 A's. Ott can't be given an A as soon as he gets here, even Drury had to earn his.

Agree w/ the bolded. A team that has 1/4+ of the team identified as leaders doesn't really have any leaders IMHO. Instead of going H/A w/ the A's, why didn't they just go by day of the week. That way just about EVERYBODY could have been special, and isn't that what squirt hockey is really all about? Now, is it Drew's mommie's turn to bring the snacks or is it Ryan's mom's turn?

Make Pommer assign the A's. I wouldn't be surprised if Lindy did this. My guess is it will be part of his "adjustment" based on the "feedback" this past year. He'll let go of control of certain non-hockey related things.

I like this idea.

I like Ehrhoff for A but I'm not sure I like having 3 A's. Ott can't be given an A as soon as he gets here, even Drury had to earn his.

What's he done to keep it? I like your choices of Pommer and Myers, but if Lindy were to ring me up and ask me, I'd lean more toward the previous suggestions of Hodgson, Regehr or Ott. Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but Vanek does not strike me as a leader...

What's he done to keep it? I like your choices of Pommer and Myers, but if Lindy were to ring me up and ask me, I'd lean more toward the previous suggestions of Hodgson, Regehr or Ott. Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but Vanek does not strike me as a leader...

Regehr, maybe, Myers, yeah, but Hodgson? I Think it should be Pommers © Myers (A) and either Regehr (A) or Ehrhoff(A), but not both.

Regehr, maybe, Myers, yeah, but Hodgson? I Think it should be Pommers © Myers (A) and either Regehr (A) or Ehrhoff(A), but not both.

Aside from being mentioned by a previous poster above, the reason I could buy into CoHo was that from what I've read, the guy has natural leadership ability. Some of us shrink away from having leadership thrust upon us, others of us thrive. He strikes me as the latter. Either way, from what I've read and my impression based upon watching Vanek all these years is that he simply isn't a leader.

And I understand it would be different having 2 D-men wearing the 'A' but I don't think it'd ultimately be that big a deal.

Doan, too.

What about Jagr or Suter?

Vanek always works hard and is honest if his not playing up to scratch, never has some cheap excue. But his not C worthy. I just dont see Regehr as a leader here tbh.

What about Jagr or Suter?

Vanek always works hard and is honest if his not playing up to scratch, never has some cheap excue. But his not C worthy. I just dont see Regehr as a leader here tbh.

Jagr signed with Dallas.

Well, he carried the team for the first half of last year before injuries finally caught up with him -- injuries he tried to keep under wraps until after the season ended. I guess that doesn't count for anything though. :rolleyes:

Our other choices:

Hodgson: He's played 20 games as a Sabre and is still struggling to find his groove here. I wouldn't saddle him with an 'A' just yet.

Regehr: Showed up and was pretty mediocre in his first year. Second worst +/- on the team at -12.

Ott: He's a leader but it's weird when the team immediately looks to the new guy to rescue them. (See the Craig Rivet debacle.)

I'd be cool with Ruff hitting the RESET button on the whole thing. Leave Poms as captain and have two rotating A's. The players can vote on the A's every month and make 3 guys permanent A's after this season. I figure this way we can work in Myers, Ennis, Ott, and all the rest of the guys we want to lead the team forward. Plus it's a break from the failed Pominville, Vanek, Roy, Stafford, Gaustad leadership quintet we tried last season that doesn't really punish the guys we still have.

Archived