Assistant Captains

LGR4GM

I have not really thought much about it.

I'd like to see what other changes are made to the roster first, but if things stay pretty much as they are (none of the remaining lettered players moved out ... not advocating that, by the way) I think Myers should get the third A. I believe he is the captain in waiting, if the roster remains as such.

I don't like the idea of any new guys getting letters right away. Ott doesn't need a letter to be a leader on this team.

I wouldn't stop with the alternates. I'm about to voice a minority opinion here, but Pominville should be reduced to an alternate and a new Captain should be named. I for one would promote the likes of Regehr. If the Sabres are truly trying to shed their passive image, then the next place to go is the incumbent Captain. I was not thrilled last year with his selection and Lucic happened on his watch. The road losing streak happened on his watch. Time for him to step down or be replaced with someone who can handle the good times and bad. Someone who can lead.

I wouldn't stop with the alternates. I'm about to voice a minority opinion here, but Pominville should be reduced to an alternate and a new Captain should be named. I for one would promote the likes of Regehr. If the Sabres are truly trying to shed their passive image, then the next place to go is the incumbent Captain. I was not thrilled last year with his selection and Lucic happened on his watch. The road losing streak happened on his watch. Time for him to step down or be replaced with someone who can handle the good times and bad. Someone who can lead.

:angry: :thumbdown: :huh: :( :cry:

Lol.. I knew you would be first...

I can't really argue with your post, those bad things happened. I don't know if they are at all mitigated by the fact that it was his 15th game with the C on a team that had just undergone a radical amount of roster turnover. He did eventually pull them out of it. He did score several timely goals, and in the SO it seemed he could ONLY score if it was absolutely necessary to continue the SO. It was Regehr's botched defense that was the immediate (admittedly not the only, but the immediate) cause of the end of the Sabres season. I'd like to see what Pommer can do with (a) a year under his belt and (b) no more Roy or Goose. This is solidly his team now, Vanek is no captain, With Timmy, Roy, and Goose gone, he is no longer trying to lead his contemporaries. Its his team to take.

C - Pominville

A - Vanek

A - Myers

no rotating A's or whatever...

Agreed!

What's he done to keep it? I like your choices of Pommer and Myers, but if Lindy were to ring me up and ask me, I'd lean more toward the previous suggestions of Hodgson, Regehr or Ott. Maybe I'm alone in this thinking, but Vanek does not strike me as a leader...

Vanek was solid all year that what he did to keep it.

Archived