Sabres remaining schedule

Foot In The Crease!

I'm not sure why you are being intentionally daft in this matter.

Daft? It has been stated several times now that any combination of 9 points gained by Buffalo or lost by Washington guarantees a playoff spot. I'm just pointing out that this is not true. We can play these games on how to truly define a magic number, and that's fine, but the bolded line in this post is wrong, plain and simple.

Daft? It has been stated several times now that any combination of 9 points gained by Buffalo or lost by Washington guarantees a playoff spot. I'm just pointing out that this is not true. We can play these games on how to truly define a magic number, and that's fine, but the bolded line in this post is wrong, plain and simple.

Go back and read what has actually been posted. You appear to be the only person making this claim, and subsequently arguing against it.

That's NOT what he's saying. He's saying that 9 Sabres positive points amongst the Sabres and Caps will keep the Sabres ahead of the Caps.

The Sabres also have a non-magic number (5) to stay ahead of the Jets.

As that number is lower than 9, reasonable people ignore that number. If the Jets go on a tear and the Sabres and Caps both tank, at some point the Sabres magic number would fall to 5 (as the Caps continue to miss points, and the Jets continue to keep available points) and at that point it would be 5 points against the Jets that would be the relevant number.

Conversely, if the Caps thrive and the Sens tank, that current value of 13 to beat out the Otters could fall below the 9 (or whatever future smaller value) it takes to beat out the Caps and the Otters revised number could be the magic number.

The reason 9 is the magic number is that there is no combination of points available to Sabres relative to any of the teams behind them that is smaller than that. And if the Sabres take the 9 points themselves, there is nothing anybody can do about it.

When a team's magic number is equal to or less than the remaining points available to them, they control their own destiny. When it is larger, they need help. They control their own destiny against the Caps, Jets, Bolts, Isles, Canes, Loafs, and Habs. They need help to catch the Otters, Devils, Cats, and Bruins. There is no permutation of points that will allow the Sabres to catch the Rags, Pens, or Phlyers. If the Sabres take 9 points, there is nothing anybody can do to keep them out of the playoffs; it is their magic number.

Conversely, if the Caps take 12 points (yes, I know, they can only take 10 themselves) then they can clinch a playoff spot. Because they can only take 10, they need help.

I'm not sure why you are being intentionally daft in this matter.

Daft, no. Priggish on this issue? Maybe a little. You know what they mean.

Go back and read what has actually been posted. You appear to be the only person making this claim, and subsequently arguing against it.

i have neither the energy nor aptitude to break this sh!t down. in response to the above, i will only say:

GYI0063892830_crop_450x500.jpg?1299974496

Brad-Boyes-Gives-Buffalo-Sabres-Big-Win-over-Boston-Bruins-74720.jpg

Bullcocky - used to be attributed to Harry Neale

I remember it being attributed to Roby.

And going back to the archives of the same forum doesn't show your old sig - it always shows your current sig.

And going back to the archives of the same forum doesn't show your old sig - it always shows your current sig.

The bolded is what I thought - and whoever it may have previously been attributed to, I want to give a public thank you to the guy with the psychodelic Lindy Ruff clown avatar for confirming I'm not crazy.

I thought it was always attributed to Playfair... :blink:

:o Highjack alert :o

Always loved the fact that a guy named Playfair was a goon. Just looked up some of his numbers. Check out his PIMS for:

1977-78 Portland Winter Hawks - 402

402! in 71 games played...

you recall roby. KR thought neale. it's always been playfair; i ain't proud about such things and have no reason to lie.

that, i did not know.

I thought it was always attributed to Playfair... :blink:

if only you were more of an old-timer around here ;)

:o Highjack alert :o

Always loved the fact that a guy named Playfair was a goon. Just looked up some of his numbers. Check out his PIMS for:

1977-78 Portland Winter Hawks - 402

402! in 71 games played...

i will defer to XB and other more elder statesmen around here, but larry was not merely a goon. he was a rugged and serviceable defensemen who could maul people when the need arose.

moreover, he's a prince of a fellow who has long run the sabres alumni association. if you ever see larry at the FNC, and call him out by name, you will invariably see him deflect attention from himself immediately, and then introduce you to the person he's hanging out with, who will be another sabres alum whom you may not have recognized right away (which happened to me with BOTH ric seiling and darren puppa ... on separate occasions (what can i say -- i loved larry as a kid and i drink beer at the games)).

you recall roby. KR thought neale. it's always been playfair; i ain't proud about such things and have no reason to lie.

that, i did not know.

i will defer to XB and other more elder statesmen around here, but larry was not merely a goon. he was a rugged and serviceable defensemen who could maul people when the need arose.

moreover, he's a prince of a fellow who has long run the sabres alumni association. if you ever see larry at the FNC, and call him out by name, you will invariably see him deflect attention from himself immediately, and then introduce you to the person he's hanging out with, who will be another sabres alum whom you may not have recognized right away (which happened to me with BOTH ric seiling and darren puppa ... on separate occasions (what can i say -- i loved larry as a kid and i drink beer at the games)).

I know what you are saying about Playfair. I remember him well. His NHL numbers didn't approach 402 as I recall, but he still had some 200+ minutes seasons with the Sabres.

9 is a good magic number, it is the minimum required to guarantee a playoff birth. The magic number is affected by Sabres wins and losses by whoever is currently closest. if the Sabres earn 9 points, they are in.

4-0-1 = playoffs.

:thumbsup:

I don't like that the Caps may play a Florida team late with nothing at stake. Was hoping FLA would stay back in the pack so that Wash would still be a threat for that game. And of course the NYR may not bring their A game either to that last game.

They're playing for the Prez Trophy. MuhuhuhahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :ph34r:

that, i did not know.

Larry could play. He had a regular defensive shift on Bowman teams, which meant he had the defensive goods.

Now and then he would catch someone on the glass and you could almost hear cartoon noises as the body would crumble.

He played a simple stay at home game and kept things very polite around his net.

Dangit. Thanks to the Bean Farts, the magic number stays at 9. Angry Pens team coming to town tomorrow, too.

The Pens might be angry but they're not desperate, plus they are on the 2nd night of a back to back. Pitt does have some motivation to lock up 4th place but still, they're not desparate to make the playoffs like Buf, Wash, Ott.

Ruh Roh, Raggy!!! Now the Caps control THEIR future.

Yep - there's six points left on the table - and we have to get 3 more than the Caps to get into the playoffs. If the Caps take 4, we're done no matter what we do. If the Caps get 3 points, we need to win all 3 games with 6 points. Even if the Caps only get two points, we still need 5 points in 3 games - even 5 points is no duck walk, lemme tell ya, especially when two of the games are Boston and Philly.

If the Sabres lose Tuesday in regulation, you might as well stick a fork in 'em. They're done.

It would seem impossible for them to drop 2 in a row to the Maple Leafs, but we're talking about Buffalo sports. When it comes to losing in spectacular and record setting fashion, with unimaginable melt-downs and collapses, this city is second to NONE

So disappointing. Wasn't able to watch either the Friday or Saturday games b/c of other commitments, but kept seeing the updates on the Sabres app. It really sucks to come so far, and then blow it.

Archived