GDT: Sabres at Senators 3/10/12 7:00 PM

nfreeman

Each game makes me regret more and more that we didn't just trade Roy for the best we could get at the deadline and be done with it.

I agree. However, in defense of Darcy (and it shocks me to say that) I think he didn't know he could make the Hodgson move until late in the game and had he known Hodgson was available he could have moved Roy much more easily.

The whole power play strategy -ie. how they try to bring the puck into the opponents zone -is so brutally flawed. No other team in the league looks trys this. No skilled players to take the puck in. No size or heart to go get it. Sad.

Actually both Detroit and Vancouver employ that when entering the zone on a powerplay. Seems to work for them but like anything its not 100%.

So if an Ottawa player breaks his stick it's a penalty on Buffalo, but Spezza can punch someone in the face two times and nothing is called, seems about right.

To be fair, that looked just like a slash at full speed. We forget while sitting on our ###### that the game at ice level is very fast, and sometimes officials make mistakes. Yet we all look away when our team gets the breaks...

Each game makes me regret more and more that we didn't just trade Roy for the best we could get at the deadline and be done with it.

At the end of last season when word got out that a Spezza for Roy trade was discussed I thought "meh". I recall that the talk around here was Spezza=Roy. And I didn't disagree much. Wish that would've went down now.

Other than the one screw up that cost the goal and about 40 seconds at the end of the period, the Sabres dominated. They hit well and beat Ottawa to the puck time after time. If the whole game is played with the same effort by each team then this will be a two point night for the Sabres.

I agree. However, in defense of Darcy (and it shocks me to say that) I think he didn't know he could make the Hodgson move until late in the game and had he known Hodgson was available he could have moved Roy much more easily.

I would have linked it to the Gaustad trade. You don't trade your big, "shutdown" center who wins face-offs for a draft pick in a season where you're trying to make the playoffs. So if you're admitting that you're not trying to win right now, go ahead and REALLY try not to win right now and clean house. An extra first round pick could be traded for someone new this summer before the draft (or used to draft someone if we're taking a longer view of rebuilding).

At the end of last season when word got out that a Spezza for Roy trade was discussed I thought "meh". I recall that the talk around here was Spezza=Roy. And I didn't disagree much. Wish that would've went down now.

The Sabres were "very close" to trading Roy last summer and presumably that was the trade they were talking about. This is the part where Regier's high trade demands cost the team, IMO. How many good trades never went down because Regier was holding out for too much?

Is it too soon to wonder if Cody isn't all that we hoped for?

Not for me. When is the last time the Sabres traded for a guy who came to town and scored goals for us? I think we have to go all the way back to the Briere and Drury trades.

I got caught up in it too, but the rush to praise Regier for his deadline deals this year was premature. The Gaustad trade for a 1st was great, but Hodgson for Kassian won't be clear for a while. And Regier's last few trades haven't been so great so there's no guarantee that he plucked a great NHL player out of Vancouver a couple weeks ago.

I would have linked it to the Gaustad trade. You don't trade your big, "shutdown" center who wins face-offs for a draft pick in a season where you're trying to make the playoffs. So if you're admitting that you're not trying to win right now, go ahead and REALLY try not to win right now and clean house. An extra first round pick could be traded for someone new this summer before the draft (or used to draft someone if we're taking a longer view of rebuilding).

The Sabres were "very close" to trading Roy last summer and presumably that was the trade they were talking about. This is the part where Regier's high trade demands cost the team, IMO. How many good trades never went down because Regier was holding out for too much?

Injury has been brought up concerning him, who knows, but this has been going on for a bit now, he had only 4 points in his last 15 games with Vancouver. he makes plays out there, but can't get on the score sheet.

Injury has been brought up concerning him, who knows, but this has been going on for a bit now, he had only 4 points in his last 15 games with Vancouver. he makes plays out there, but can't get on the score sheet.

who has he been playing with?

[

Is it too soon to wonder if Cody isn't all that we hoped for?

The real question is why are hopes so high for a player many didn't really know anything about before the trade deadline? We are talking about a player that will have a first season that resembles Drew Stafford. Look how that turned out.

Archived