the Canucks Riot

rickshaw

i was given a rough ride by some last summer when I said I could tell by looking at the people doing the rioting, that the majority would end up not being from Vancouver the city.

I pulled this quote from the paper today.....

Affleck said keeping drunk suburban teens off the SkyTrain and out of the downtown core would help, but it’s not a miracle cure:.

“When you talk to police, they wish it was that simple — eighty per cent of the people arrested in the riot are from outside Vancouver.”

that's what sucks when the world sees the images. idiots from elsewhere give the city a bad name.

gonna be interesting to see what unfolds this year, if the team goes far again.

This may be True, but they are still Canadiens! and this is coming from a person with duel citzenship. They still made Canada look bad.

i agree with you 100%

no excuses.

but the cities 45-60 min away have some nasty neighbourhoods and i know from growing up in some. my whole poiny originally was that these punks were mainly from other cities and caused the trouble. most vancouverites didn't trash their city.

but all should be ashamed

Here we go again.

something to discuss, that's all. sorry if this offends

something to discuss, that's all. sorry if this offends

Not offensive at all. But if I recall correctly most of the "rough ride" you were given were due to semantics involving your defense more than anything, that the people doing the rioting were from suburbs, and not the city, therefore not Vancouver. The counter arguemnt went, suburbs = metro Vancouver area and therefore they are Vancouverites in most other peoples eyes. As Shrader mentioned above, he is in a town that is probably 20-30 minutes outside of Buffalo yet nearly everyone in his town would consider themselves a Buffalonian. If his town people ent into Buffalo and rioted I wouldn't expect national media to say Hamburgers rioted in Buffalo. I would expect them to say Buffalonians rioted.

I'm pretty sure you'll get the same response today.

Not offensive at all. But if I recall correctly most of the "rough ride" you were given were due to semantics involving your defense more than anything, that the people doing the rioting were from suburbs, and not the city, therefore not Vancouver. The counter arguemnt went, suburbs = metro Vancouver area and therefore they are Vancouverites in most other peoples eyes. As Shrader mentioned above, he is in a town that is probably 20-30 minutes outside of Buffalo yet nearly everyone in his town would consider themselves a Buffalonian. If his town people ent into Buffalo and rioted I wouldn't expect national media to say Hamburgers rioted in Buffalo. I would expect them to say Buffalonians rioted.

I'm pretty sure you'll get the same response today.

first off, there are no excuses for the riot. sickening and pathetic.

good points

however, one from Surrey may say they are from Van, but I can tell you they are not.

the fact is the "true" Vancouverites were not the main culprits. Kids from 2 hrs away have been arrested. anyway.......this typing with only my left hand is damn hard.

gonna rest my aching shoulder.

i was receptive to the distinction that rickshaw made back in 2011 between people from/of vancouver (who overwhelmingly were not involved in the violence) and people from surrounding municipalities (who comprised a super-majority of the hooligans).

i'm not sure that we can just ballpark the distance between the towns that rickshaw was/is talking about to vancouver's city limits, and, based on that number, say it's no different than saying the punks were from hamburg (heck, let's go with angola (ha! see what i did there?)) and say that those people are part of greater buffalo.

the suggestion from rickshaw seemed to be that it wasn't necessarily a question of how far away the other towns/cities are geographically -- but more a question of how far away they are from being part of vancover on a cultural, historical, etc. basis.

but, as someone else pointed out, it was a black eye on canada, for sure.

I'd love to know how they came up with the stat that exactly 80% of everyone involved in the riot were from outside of Vancouver.

Not involved, arrested. They let the people from inside Vancouver carry on with the business at hand.

first off, there are no excuses for the riot. sickening and pathetic.

good points

however, one from Surrey may say they are from Van, but I can tell you they are not.

the fact is the "true" Vancouverites were not the main culprits. Kids from 2 hrs away have been arrested. anyway.......this typing with only my left hand is damn hard.

gonna rest my aching shoulder.

The statement that "kids from 2 hrs away have been arrested" is awfully vague. All it takes is two arrests to make that a valid statement, but that doesn't make it meaningful.

That was an example.

Someone from West Kelowna was charged which is 4 - t hr drive away. Prince George is a good 6 hrs away. The list goes on. The fact remains most people are not from Vancouver. At least not the ones being charged.

Over 125 people are being considered for charges and 80% are not from Vancouver. Cities include Seattle, Victoria, Abbotsford, Port Coquitlam, Surrey to name a few.

Bottom line though, is these people need to face justice for the shame and destruction they caused.

I am from germany and so far I have only been to NYC. But Canada is (beside Australia) the main place for young germans to visit for a year to work over there. Actually 6 of my friends have been to Canada for 6 Months or longer so far and I heard nothing but the best. A Girl I know lived in Vancouver for 12 months and she told me, that in the end she was kinda annoyed how nice the people are over there.

I saw Alan Thicke looting hair care products. He's from Ontario though, so the numbers may be correct.

You've been drinking the Steven Wright Kool-Aid for faaaaaaaaar toooooooooo loooooooooong.

You've been drinking the Steven Wright Kool-Aid for faaaaaaaaar toooooooooo loooooooooong.

You really need to change your avatar. Everytime I see it, I think I posted it. Using this same avatar over on TSW is adding to my confusion. :lol:

i was given a rough ride by some last summer when I said I could tell by looking at the people doing the rioting, that the majority would end up not being from Vancouver the city.

I pulled this quote from the paper today.....

Affleck said keeping drunk suburban teens off the SkyTrain and out of the downtown core would help, but it’s not a miracle cure:.

“When you talk to police, they wish it was that simple — eighty per cent of the people arrested in the riot are from outside Vancouver.”

that's what sucks when the world sees the images. idiots from elsewhere give the city a bad name.

gonna be interesting to see what unfolds this year, if the team goes far again.

Same would apply if this were Buffalo, the same number can be thrown out to make things look better. I bet most Sabres fans are outside Buffalo (Cheektowaga, Orchard Park, Hamburg, Lackawanna, just to name a few)

Archived