Facebook

Corp000085

I've tried facebook and twitter, and don't have much use for either. I go on twitter maybe once a month to see if anything interested is being said. I go on facebook even less(maybe once every couple months).

That being said, I can certainly see the usefulness of facebook if you have family and friends across the country or around the globe.

I have one and use it primarily to communicate with friends and a few members of my family who were tech savvy enough to make their own. I do post "statuses" from time to time but they are usually just "Let's Go Buffalo" and things like that before Sabres games, or if I have an opinion on a big sports story in the news.

The big thing I like is the Facebook chat... you can get it on your phone and it just makes it easy to chat with people without actually calling them. It's like instant messaging except you know exactly who you're talking to. Also, if you have Facebook on your android or iphone, anyone who has their number listed will be added to your phone book, so that's somewhat convenient.

It's certainly a powerful tool, but there are downsides, like you mentioned with the "FarmVille" spam and what not. But I just block all of that stuff the moment I get an invite and then I don't have to worry about it until the next new game becomes a fad. It can also get in the way while looking for a job if you post questionable material on there, but I keep mine locked down on private mode -- only "Friends" can see anything I post on Facebook (the default setting is "Friends of Friends" can see things -- you can imagine that that's a little invasive) and I only have around 300 friends on there, much less than most people who add anybody who requests them and have over 1,000 friends.

I have one and use it primarily to communicate with friends and a few members of my family who were tech savvy enough to make their own. I do post "statuses" from time to time but they are usually just "Let's Go Buffalo" and things like that before Sabres games, or if I have an opinion on a big sports story in the news.

The big thing I like is the Facebook chat... you can get it on your phone and it just makes it easy to chat with people without actually calling them. It's like instant messaging except you know exactly who you're talking to. Also, if you have Facebook on your android or iphone, anyone who has their number listed will be added to your phone book, so that's somewhat convenient.

It's certainly a powerful tool, but there are downsides, like you mentioned with the "FarmVille" spam and what not. But I just block all of that stuff the moment I get an invite and then I don't have to worry about it until the next new game becomes a fad. It can also get in the way while looking for a job if you post questionable material on there, but I keep mine locked down on private mode -- only "Friends" can see anything I post on Facebook (the default setting is "Friends of Friends" can see things -- you can imagine that that's a little invasive) and I only have around 300 friends on there, much less than most people who add anybody who requests them and have over 1,000 friends.

lol ONLY 300 or so? I think I have 45, tops (and would un-friend a good 10 of those if I could do so without anyone noticing).

I am on FB 24/7 haha... Nah but really I use it a lot to stay in touch with friends to talk about hockey to get infos about tv shows or bands or whatever... plus I have many US/Canada/finland whatever friends due to another hockey community I am part of. So I use it a lot and can't imagine to not use it.

lol ONLY 300 or so? I think I have 45, tops (and would un-friend a good 10 of those if I could do so without anyone noticing).

haha I know, 300 sounds absurd. But it's really not that many! Almost everyone on my list has 500 or more. Everyone around my age has a Facebook... so when I think about all the people I went to school with and grew up with and met over the years, 300 seems like not so high of a number.

haha I know, 300 sounds absurd. But it's really not that many! Almost everyone on my list has 500 or more. Everyone around my age has a Facebook... so when I think about all the people I went to school with and grew up with and met over the years, 300 seems like not so high of a number.

I'm just teasing... I know most people easily have 300+ friends (especially those who started using Facebook in college, when you accumulate people quickly and don't always remove them later). I just think it's funny because I don't even want all of the people on my very short list, lol.

I'm just teasing... I know most people easily have 300+ friends (especially those who started using Facebook in college, when you accumulate people quickly and don't always remove them later). I just think it's funny because I don't even want all of the people on my very short list, lol.

I've culled my list back down under 250, mainly due to axing annoying people who post every mundane event in their lives, and high school "friends" who I should have never accepted in the first place. One guy I knew from high school ended up coming out of the closet since we graduated (not a surprise). Anyway, this guy was constantly posting over the top stuff about his gay lifestyle. That on its own wouldn't really bother me, but then the other half of his posts are about gay activist events and "not defining me by my sexuality". Dude, you can't have it both ways.

I've culled my list back down under 250, mainly due to axing annoying people who post every mundane event in their lives, and high school "friends" who I should have never accepted in the first place. One guy I knew from high school ended up coming out of the closet since we graduated (not a surprise). Anyway, this guy was constantly posting over the top stuff about his gay lifestyle. That on its own wouldn't really bother me, but then the other half of his posts are about gay activist events and "not defining me by my sexuality". Dude, you can't have it both ways.

Would his name be skittles?

It's such a phenomenal tool for this. It has completely changed the way big, spread-out families can communicate and keep in touch.

It's basically like every new piece of communication technology. Can cell phones be incredibly useful? Yes, they can save lives in the right situation. Can they be abused and a huge waste of time? Yes, because we've all sat next to someone in a public place who couldn't stop blabbing away and annoying everyone. Texting? Same thing, can be super useful and can be a giant obnoxious waste to time. The internet? A force for good (helping people communicate, helping commerce, etc.) and a force for evil (internet addiction, etc.).

I've never really understood this idea. Is the person blabbing on and on in public on their phone any different than two peope blabbing on and on in that same setting but face to face? I can't count the number of times where I've been riding a subway train and a pack of college kids are joking around and for some reason feel like they need to talk really loud in order to be heard. If give the choice between that and the same thing, but over phone, I'll take the phone talker any day. At least that way it's only one voice.

Never been a facebook person. I feel its my responsibility to be good father / Husband, I could really care less what my high school friends are doing. Facebook is a great way to have affairs and break up families. No thx

I hope this is sarcasm because if not, that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. If you're the type that is going to have affairs and break up families, you're going to do it with or without facebook.

Would his name be skittles?

Whether or not that was a serious question, it was pretty funny.

I hope this is sarcasm because if not, that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. If you're the type that is going to have affairs and break up families, you're going to do it with or without facebook.

QFT

I can see the usefulness. Due to a bad event that happened because of it a few years ago I stay the hell away.

It's great for stalking people and anonymously checking out semi nude photos of drunk college chicks.

And, um, sorry about that chz. :blush:

I see valid points to keeping Facebook in all of your posts. True, it is GREAT for keeping up with family members and reconnecting with long lost friends. However, it is an absolute time waste, it can get people into trouble, and its WAAAAAY too invasive. I guess I just hit my tipping point last weekend where I realized that the negatives of having the page outweigh the positives. If my cousins want pictures of my kid, they'll have to wait for the mass emails... If my co workers want to instant message me, they can log into their official work email service and IM me through there. I'm still glad I made the jump!

I see valid points to keeping Facebook in all of your posts. True, it is GREAT for keeping up with family members and reconnecting with long lost friends. However, it is an absolute time waste, it can get people into trouble, and its WAAAAAY too invasive. I guess I just hit my tipping point last weekend where I realized that the negatives of having the page outweigh the positives. If my cousins want pictures of my kid, they'll have to wait for the mass emails... If my co workers want to instant message me, they can log into their official work email service and IM me through there. I'm still glad I made the jump!

Don't get me wrong; I'm envious that you've made that leap! The main thing keeping me from closing my account is that I'm afraid I'd lose touch with the friends who use it as their primary form of communication (which fortunately is a small group, but enough that I'd miss them). You could argue that if they can't be bothered to fill me in outside of Facebook they're not worth losing, but really I'd be hypocritical to say so because any relationship takes effort from both sides, and I know I'm always busy and suck at keeping in touch.

Don't get me wrong; I'm envious that you've made that leap! The main thing keeping me from closing my account is that I'm afraid I'd lose touch with the friends who use it as their primary form of communication (which fortunately is a small group, but enough that I'd miss them). You could argue that if they can't be bothered to fill me in outside of Facebook they're not worth losing, but really I'd be hypocritical to say so because any relationship takes effort from both sides, and I know I'm always busy and suck at keeping in touch.

My thought on that is that my friends will always be my friends. We keep in touch on phone, mail, email and txting. Facebook made it hard for me to differentiate between friends, coworkers and acquaintances whom I wouldn't have a connection with except for Facebook. And don't be too envious! It was a pretty easy leap. Saturday night was the only time i felt an urge to log back in. Once I was able to get past that initial OMG phase, it was all good. Not like quitting smoking or anything serious! Once it's done, it's done!

I broke up with a girl I was with for about 3 months because she was addicted to fb through her phone. She couldn't watch an entire movie without checking that ******* thing every 10-15 mins. I have one, but only use it to keep in contact with my kids who live in NH.

I completely understand the reason people ditch it, don't use it, or never had/want it.

That said, I was against it for a while and never figured I would have the need for it...until a former co-worker and friend suggested I get into it. Since then, I've been addicted and check things out a number of times throughout the day. It was good for me because I got back in touch with old high school friends that I lost contact with (which I wish never happened). I didn't do anything like reunit with an old flame and leave my wife for her, but I got to see what a lot of people were doing since the good ol' days. It's also been good to continually stay in touch with out-of-town family that I never did before.

I don't get into Farmville or Castleville or anything like that, but I do play some word games and a few others...but I do like Facebook to see what everyone is doing. That's really it.

Archived