Facebook

Corp000085

I read FB every day, post once a month or so.. If it went away tomorrow, I probably would not miss it. I'm frequently amazed how much personal information people put out there and how reckless they are with what they post. They leave a record for all to see and just don't seem to give a hoot.

1, Facebook was instrumental in getting out the word that my mother passed two weeks ago. I posted the info on my own page as well as my mother's. BTW, for those who are Pembroke alum, it was nice seeing Mr. Kinal, Mr. Abramson, Miss Neuer, Mrs. Reed, etc... I just wish it had been under different circumstances.

2, While it can waste vast amounts of time, it does keep family and friends connected.

3, I remember joining 5 years ago after seeing to Newsweek that Facebook was the next big thing after Google. Quite frankly, I think it is bigger than Google.

1, sorry for your loss.

2, mea culpa.

3, no kidding - especially with Google+. I've never really gotten into Google+. I just didn't feel the connection (same thing goes for Twitter).

I've culled my list back down under 250, mainly due to axing annoying people who post every mundane event in their lives, and high school "friends" who I should have never accepted in the first place. One guy I knew from high school ended up coming out of the closet since we graduated (not a surprise). Anyway, this guy was constantly posting over the top stuff about his gay lifestyle. That on its own wouldn't really bother me, but then the other half of his posts are about gay activist events and "not defining me by my sexuality". Dude, you can't have it both ways.

They do the same kind of shtick over at the Christian Post (which is pretty much a polar opposite of the Huffington Post) by trolling stories and threads.

I have a private group with my buddies that we use to set up plans for the night or discuss any necessary info. Other than that, I always have a tab open but don't really surf that much anymore. I've pretty much blocked everyone from my newsfeed because I have a low tolerance for idiocy (Laker fans, for example), so it ends up being way too slow. Twitter is much quicker and constant, so it is much more useful and informational.

I used to use FB a lot. Posted random links, notes, etc. Especially political stuff. Then I realized most of the people in my age group are either morons or don't really care so I figured there was no real use in doing so. Haven't posted any content on my own page in a few weeks.

That reminds of a semi-Sabres-related facebook story from when I was away from home at school.

In the 2009-10 playoffs after Boston eliminated Buffalo, I was pissed and posted something like "going to blow my brains out, talk to you guys later" on a friend's status as a... "joke" isn't the right word, but you know, I obviously wasn't going to go off myself over the Sabres. I was just posting it knowing that all my friends who know anything about me would know it was just an off-hand comment voicing my disgust over the Sabres' loss. Unfortunately, a long lost cousin who I rarely see and who may or may not have even known the Sabres played that night saw the comment and called my mom, who in turn called me in the middle of class the next to make sure I wasn't depressed and didn't really want to "blow my brains out." Ugh, that was awkward, and I quickly learned my lesson not to post anything too stupid like that on Facebook.

That reminds of a semi-Sabres-related facebook story from when I was away from home at school.

In the 2009-10 playoffs after Boston eliminated Buffalo, I was pissed and posted something like "going to blow my brains out, talk to you guys later" on a friend's status as a... "joke" isn't the right word, but you know, I obviously wasn't going to go off myself over the Sabres. I was just posting it knowing that all my friends who know anything about me would know it was just an off-hand comment voicing my disgust over the Sabres' loss. Unfortunately, a long lost cousin who I rarely see and who may or may not have even known the Sabres played that night saw the comment and called my mom, who in turn called me in the middle of class the next to make sure I wasn't depressed and didn't really want to "blow my brains out." Ugh, that was awkward, and I quickly learned my lesson not to post anything too stupid like that on Facebook.

I posted something a couple years ago about hitting a deer with my car on the interstate and several people kept asking me if I was ok. If I wasn't ok, I wouldn't have said anything publicly like that.

Facebook is a public outlet. The most personal item I have published is my email address, which can always be changed. I'm also really surprised at how much personal stuff some people post.

Haven't been on facebook since about '05. Deactivated when you no longer needed a valid college email address to register. Once your parents are getting on there it's pretty much over...

Oh and....Facebook=Skynet and Skynet is has become self aware! Im certain it will destroy the world!

Plus it allows Big Brother total access to everything you do.

Haven't been on facebook since about '05. Deactivated when you no longer needed a valid college email address to register. Once your parents are getting on there it's pretty much over...

Oh and....Facebook=Skynet and Skynet is has become self aware! Im certain it will destroy the world!

Plus it allows Big Brother total access to everything you do.

This is my worry about it. Not Big Brother, but the information isn't private, no matter how you set it. When it's erased, it's not eradicated, and the most innocuous information could be used criminally without your consent, or knowledge. I'm not scared of the government, but fear leaving the front door open to sociopaths.

So, I made a lifestyle change this weekend... I woke up from a nap and immediately went to my computer to look at Facebook updates rather than to go directly to the noise of my kid and wife playing trains downstairs. I decided that was enough and promptly deleted Facebook entirely. I cannot believe I wasted like 5 years of my life checking online statuses, rejecting farmville requests and looking at bikini pictures of my former high school classmates. I will admit to suffering from something more than psychological withdrawals but something less than DTs on Saturday night, but good grief! I'm glad I'm done!

My question is, has anyone else made the jump off of Facebook?

nope addicted first thing I do on my iphone and ipad. Maybe you just dont have interesting friends?

Like MattPie, weave, and probably others, I waste far more time on this site.

Facebook is great because I've lived in a couple of other cities and I can keep in touch with friends, but about 15 mins a day is enough.

Archived