Sekera-ra-ra

I am Defecting

He's playing like a Ruffian machine. I think he deserves some serious, non-begrudging praise. What think you? On par with Myers atm?

The Sabres will be a much better team if Sekera continues to play at this level. He looks a lot like Zhitnik and can certainly log the minutes if need to.

I have to admit I was one of the biggest posters in the anti-Sekera camp. There was a stretch last season (most of it actually) where he just looked afraid to take a hit, play the body, and was coughing up the puck a-la-grangani. This year he has been wayyy better in all of those ways. Now if only Myers can click at the same time. Aside from a few bright games, Myers has looked pretty bad/invisible this year.

I have to admit I was one of the biggest posters in the anti-Sekera camp. There was a stretch last season (most of it actually) where he just looked afraid to take a hit, play the body, and was coughing up the puck a-la-grangani. This year he has been wayyy better in all of those ways. Now if only Myers can click at the same time. Aside from a few bright games, Myers has looked pretty bad/invisible this year.

Not directly speaking to you, but this post brings up an issue. How many times have we seen a young player make a crucial mistake and said something along the lines of "I never want to see him in a Sabres jersey ever again" (perhaps a bit extreme, but I have seen those words)?

Shouldn't developing players in their first couple NHL seasons get the benefit of the doubt?

Not directly speaking to you, but this post brings up an issue. How many times have we seen a young player make a crucial mistake and said something along the lines of "I never want to see him in a Sabres jersey ever again" (perhaps a bit extreme, but I have seen those words)?

Shouldn't developing players in their first couple NHL seasons get the benefit of the doubt?

Yes. But message boards are for fanatics. We like to pretend we're logicians, but really, we're mostly emoting here.

I agree in principal but it is a fine line between letting a player develop and understanding when that players play will not live up to the organizations expectations. As fans we want to win right now. Development be damned.

So glad he wasn't traded like I wanted.

Me too.

The Sabres will be a much better team if Sekera continues to play at this level. He looks a lot like Zhitnik and can certainly log the minutes if need to.

But Sekera hits the net with his shots... well, more than Zhitnik.

That sure was a nice pass on the empty net goal. There are assists and then there are assists...

Yes, although Vancouver made a bonehead play in putting it on Reggie's stick with their net empty.

I think he'll be better than Zhitnik. He's got better offensive instincts and is developing better defensive instincts as well.

I think he'll be better than Zhitnik. He's got better offensive instincts and is developing better defensive instincts as well.

He lacks Zhitnick's physicality though. I could def see him becoming a minute eater.

Sekera is a good defensive Dman, but he is also a lot more effective on the rush than any of our other Dmen. When he leads the rush, he does it like a forward. He doesn't just carry it in and look for a forward to dump it off to before going back to the blue line; he carries the puck in intent on making a good offensive play. One of the most exciting aspects of watching the Sabres currently is the four-man rush led by Reggie ("looks like we got us a CONVOY").

That sure was a nice pass on the empty net goal. There are assists and then there are assists...

Yep. The vision there, seeing Staff up the boards and quickly getting the puck to him, was top notch.

Yes. But message boards are for fanatics. We like to pretend we're logicians, but really, we're mostly emoting here.

In that way, I think the board serves as a healthy outlet. Even if I just want to feel like a logician for a while, or want to bust out of the apathy. It's feels good to get involved in the action, rather than play a passive role, like in life, mostly. :angel:

Er, I suspect Sekera would know just what I'm a-talkin' 'bout.

In that way, I think the board serves as a healthy outlet. Even if I just want to feel like a logician for a while, or want to bust out of the apathy. It's feels good to get involved in the action, rather than play a passive role, like in life, mostly. :angel:

Er, I suspect Sekera would know just what I'm a-talkin' 'bout.

It's what I love about him. :ph34r:

It's what I love about him. :ph34r:

It seems like you and I have the makings of a little Abbot and Costello act happening here.

Sekera loves Abbot and Costello!

Sorry, too far?

We don't want to blow peoples minds with how much we know about Sekera.

Speaking of improving young defensemen, I think Weber has been playing great on this roadie. Very steady, good decision-making, playing a tough game in front of Miller and respectable at the offensive blue line as well. He got over 20 minutes of ice time vs Vancouver and SJ.

I think starting the year on the bench really set him back, but he's found his game at the right time.

Archived