Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

So, do you think that Vanek and Pominville are better than the Sedins? I think that I know your answer, but I'm legitimately asking.

If your answer is no, then does that mean that adding Hodgson to a weaker pair (or, at least, not a better one) has thus far been more productive, as a line, than adding Kassian to a stronger pair? 33 points in 20 man games vs. 17 points in 21 man games.

I'll say it right now, Vanek and Pominville will score more points from now untill they all retire than the Sedins. They are now better than the Sedins, and unlike the sedins, they are still improving.

So, do you think that Vanek and Pominville are better than the Sedins? I think that I know your answer, but I'm legitimately asking.

If your answer is no, then does that mean that adding Hodgson to a weaker pair (or, at least, not a better one) has thus far been more productive, as a line, than adding Kassian to a stronger pair? 33 points in 20 man games vs. 17 points in 21 man games.

As LPF said, right now Vanek and Pominville are better than the Sedins. From the beginning of last season they may be better than a Crosby/Malkin combo. This season is a continuation of what we saw last season. As I said in another thread, we are seeing LaFontaine/Mogilny type production.

I do not expect Vanek and Poms to be top five in scoring at season's end.

But I will say the twins were in their late 20s before they emerged as elite and in the eight or so seasons before that happened they looked an awful lot like Vanek and Poms have for their first eight or so seasons. It could happen.

I'm watching the Blackhawks-Canucks game right now to see the "new and improved" Kassian. 1-0 Canucks after the first. I have to admit, Kassian does look great and, no, it's not because of the Sedins. He did a great job screening Crawford on the Vancouver power play and later made an awesome pass to set up the Canucks' goal. He's been involved in a few other scoring chances as well. He isn't using his size to punish the Hawks but he's using it to protect the puck and by going to the net.

I'm watching the Blackhawks-Canucks game right now to see the "new and improved" Kassian. 1-0 Canucks after the first. I have to admit, Kassian does look great and, no, it's not because of the Sedins. He did a great job screening Crawford on the Vancouver power play and later made an awesome pass to set up the Canucks' goal. He's been involved in a few other scoring chances as well. He isn't using his size to punish the Hawks but he's using it to protect the puck and by going to the net.

He's taken a step forward this year in his development for sure. I've been watching a lot of the nucks games just to see how he does and I've been impressed.

I think this trade has a lot of losers.

28 losers to be exactly. 28 teams who now suffer from Kassian and Hodgson to be in the right places.

Kassian developed fine in Vancouver and Hodgson is doing very fine for Buffalo. I think Hodgson could be the missing piece for Pominville and Vanek like Robert was for Perreault and Rico. Yeah this is a very optimistic comparison, but what i am seeing from them now is exceptionel and amazing.

let's hope for the best for both of them and maybe they will each other in the SC finals some day.

IMO that's his game. The impression I always got from listening to him or watching him was that he wanted to be a skill guy who could fight if necessary; not a tough guy with some skill.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

IMO that's his game. The impression I always got from listening to him or watching him was that he wanted to be a skill guy who could fight if necessary; not a tough guy with some skill.

That must have been the Lindy effect, the same effect that ruined Paul Gaustad. Kassian needs to play a big man's game. As he matures he will realize that a huge portion of NHL forwards would much rather make it through an NHL game with any contact. Kassian should be able to use his size and physical nature to make the Canucks a more difficult team to play against physically and make opposing forwards very uncomfortable on the ice. That will allow Kassian and his line-mates to be more effective.

That must have been the Lindy effect, the same effect that ruined Paul Gaustad. Kassian needs to play a big man's game. As he matures he will realize that a huge portion of NHL forwards would much rather make it through an NHL game with any contact. Kassian should be able to use his size and physical nature to make the Canucks a more difficult team to play against physically and make opposing forwards very uncomfortable on the ice. That will allow Kassian and his line-mates to be more effective.

And Hodgson with his vision, ridiculous hockey IQ, passing skills, and his propensity to find open ice and draw defenders will make his line-mates more effective.

Its not about finding the best players but the right ones.

And Hodgson with his vision, ridiculous hockey IQ, passing skills, and his propensity to find open ice and draw defenders will make his line-mates more effective.

Its not about finding the best players but the right ones.

I've seen dozens of Hodgsonesq players in a Sabres uniform over the years. At the end of the day Hodgson is another soft skilled forward that has plagued this franchise for far too many years. It's not just a Kassian thing, there is reason Marcu Foligno will be a far more popular player in Buffalo than Hodgson, because long suffering Sabre fans are dieing to have big physical skilled forwards in a Sabre uniforms.

I've seen dozens of Hodgsonesq players in a Sabres uniform over the years. At the end of the day Hodgson is another soft skilled forward that has plagued this franchise for far too many years. It's not just a Kassian thing, there is reason Marcu Foligno will be a far more popular player in Buffalo than Hodgson, because long suffering Sabre fans are dieing to have big physical skilled forwards in a Sabre uniforms.

and Kassian was not a big physical forward in a Sabres uniform. Also I haven't seen a player like Hodgson on this team since 07. If fans don't "want" his type then I am glad fans don't make the deals.

and Kassian was not a big physical forward in a Sabres uniform. Also I haven't seen a player like Hodgson on this team since 07. If fans don't "want" his type then I am glad fans don't make the deals.

They have a player like Hodgson on the team now, he's called Drew Stafford.

The real shame of it is that had Buffalo mgt effectively handled the shortage of centers on this team after '07 there would be no convo to have. We'd have the centers we needed AND we'd have the huge, skilled power forward.

Kassian in Vancouver is yet another symptom of this organizations bungling of the aftermath of Drury/Briere.

Do we know this for sure? Just because someone doesn't or hasn't fought, doesn't mean they won't. Just because someone has skill, doesn't mean they don't have grit.

Rob Ray was a very popular player in Buffalo, as well.

Do we know this for sure? Just because someone doesn't or hasn't fought, doesn't mean they won't. Just because someone has skill, doesn't mean they don't have grit.

Rob Ray was a very popular player in Buffalo, as well.

Ray is another example of fans desperately wanting to connect with a physical player with an edge. Look how fans are going crazy over John Scott.

Usually you can see signs of a players willingness to get dirty right off the back. IMO, if it's not part of a player's nature it can't be added later.

That's a strange comparison. I don't see much similarity at all.

I understood where you were coming from with the small skill forward claim, but not where this comparison comes from.

Edited by carpandean

That's a strange comparison. I don't see much similarity at all.

I understood where you were coming from with the small skill forward claim, but not where this comparison comes from.

I'm pretty sure that is the comparison being made. And all that goes with it, especially the lack of an edge to their games, although Stafford has been pretty surprising in that regard so far. At least to me.

not a good comparison......

hodgson is 5 years younger.....

hodgson has plenty of upside and continues to get better.....

hodgson makes players around him better......vanek and Pommin ville have played the best in their careers the moment since hodgson joined them, going back to end of last season.

they play different positions...

stafford along with leopold are dead last on team in plus/minus.....

stafford doesn't even have a goal this season......

stafford is getting worse....

Edited by papazoid

You can blame Ruff all you want, but listen to Ray and Peters talk. Guys don't want to fight all the time, they don't want to be forced to play that way on a nightly basis. Kassian has the skills to play a different way, to prolong his career, and to earn a higher salary. All while keeping his body in tact. You think Ruff ruined Gaustad, but maybe he was just tired of being hurt? Plus, it earned him several million extra dollars to play differently.

I'm pretty sure that is the comparison being made. And all that goes with it, especially the lack of an edge to their games, although Stafford has been pretty surprising in that regard so far. At least to me.

Stafford isn't Kassian big, but he's big enough that he should (and on rare occasions does) play a more power game. He's wasted his size and skill.

Hodgson is definitely smaller than Drew, but also works very hard on and off of the ice.

They are very different players with different skills and different shortcomings. Again, it just seems like an odd choice.

Edited by carpandean

I realize Stafford isn't showing up on the score sheet and he's paid to put the puck in the net, but his play away from the puck in all zones is so much better than in the past. He's not getting worse.

The Stafford comparison was in my head watching last night's game. From what I saw last night (which was only two periods), Kassian looks like a bigger and much more effective version of Stafford.