Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

I've heard you either like it or you don't. Like Vegemite, or Moxie.

I just had Marmite for the first time last week. I liked it.

As to Kass for Hodg, like with stocks, I don't care where they've been, I only care where they are going. I just don't think Kass is going to end up the player that we thought he was going to be and I like Hodg and think he is going to be good.

Daddy Hodgson will tell someone that he wants his son off the Sabres. That person will promptly shoot Darcy Regier.

And with Regier dead we can finally put another GM in his place, who will be better than Regier in every aspect. It's so easy. And of course Ruff would be stricken with the guilt that he had ruined so many players careers, that a fan had lashed out and killed his friend, forcing him into retirement and seclusion somewhere in Lewiston.

I just want to know what kind of danger our team is in if he continues to play for us? What if he decides he doesn't like Buffalo? Would daddy take it upon himself to covertly bankrupt Pegula, thus costing us our Sabres? Plus gas prices would go up and truckers wouldn't be able to afford to ship goods, so the economy would tank, spiraling us into some Depression 2.0.

I better get my apocalypse bunker ready. Cody Hodgson could be the end of us all.

Don't EVER joke about the apocalypse with Drane around. He's actually prophesied the end of days in other forums in these parts. Even gave us some 'end times' events and other clues of what to look for and everything.

That said, has anyone ever seen Cody Hodgson riding a white horse?

GO SABRES!!!

Don't EVER joke about the apocalypse with Drane around. He's actually prophesied the end of days in other forums in these parts. Even gave us some 'end times' events and other clues of what to look for and everything.

That said, has anyone ever seen Cody Hodgson riding a white horse?

GO SABRES!!!

And that prediction was for this year, so this Hodgson timing can't just be a coincidence.

I think it was, as usual, more of the media that determined this was a move for right now then the future. The Canucks GM said yesterday that Kassians type of play and what he can become is something that you don't always find easy, yet Darcy (and many here) believe the same thing about what Hodgson can bring to the team. The Canucks are a team that its beleived have more then enough talent to win it all, but are lacking that grit/toughness, something that kassian was expected to provide when he reaches his potential, along with the skill to score some goals (basically be more then just an enforcer/goon). The Sabres lacked some of this too, but are no where near the same elvel as the Canucks when it comes to skill players, and desperatly lacked skilled Centres, something Hodgson is expected to bring to the table.

Kassian and hodgson both may have been able to bring something now to their teams, but the real deal was for the future potential in each. Or maybe Gillis is a fan of this board and has read how its all Lindys fault and that he ruins players of their potential and thought just the change of scenery with a new coach would change things for Kassian and bring back the "killer" in him. (from what it sounds like in earlier interviews with kassian, I don't know if he wants to be that kind of player everyone else expected he would be, he wanted to be more of a player known for his skill and goal scoring, not for throwing around checks and hits

Well said. I think the trade was to make both teams better (obviously). GM's look at the makeup of their teams and see where it lack. Canucks lacked some gritty guys, got Kassian. Sabres lacked some scoring centers, got Hodgson. I'd like to thank Mr. Foligno because there is no way we make this trade if we don't have Foligno.

... A few last things: I don't care much for the drama of Team Apathy, Team Sunshine and Kittens, and Team Storm cloud. ... I

You forgot Team Sanctimonious. Hey, any rational fan, and I know that can be a stretch, is a member of all of these teams at one time or another. At least I am, depending on how much the Sabres are pissing me off at the moment, especially during a frenzied game.

It really comes down to two teams: team optimistic or team pessimistic.

If one chooses to wallow in misery, so be it. But it IS a choice. Let's be clear.

When a fan deliberately insults my intelligence because of a FREE choice that I made to remain optimistic, especially about people and events NONE of us have ANY control over, then he has crossed the line. Those fans would be the charter members of Team Douchebag.

GO SABRES!!!

• Like (+1) 1

bang on, brotha.

full disclosure: i do occasionally use the paradigm of stormcloud/sunshine-kittens (i actually preferred "candyland", but sunshine-kittens seems to have stuck), but mostly as a touchstone, or frame of reference -- or just for comedic effect.

i also want to say that i got chris farley's bennet brauer character in my head when you went to ALLCAPS.

I want you to know that the Bennet Brauer character was the effect I was going for :ph34r:

You forgot Team Sanctimonious. Hey, any rational fan, and I know that can be a stretch, is a member of all of these teams at one time or another. At least I am, depending on how much the Sabres are pissing me off at the moment, especially during a frenzied game.

It really comes down to two teams: team optimistic or team pessimistic.

If one chooses to wallow in misery, so be it. But it IS a choice. Let's be clear.

When a fan deliberately insults my intelligence because of a FREE choice that I made to remain optimistic, especially about people and events NONE of us have ANY control over, then he has crossed the line. Those fans would be the charter members of Team Douchebag.

GO SABRES!!!

It's hard to keep track these days!

but yeah, that's basically the idea I was getting at.

And that prediction was for this year, so this Hodgson timing can't just be a coincidence.

Well, that's what the Mayan's predicted. Drane bases his on the Book of Revelation, at least from what I can gather from his posts in 2008. I'm pretty sure he's a big fan of the movie, 'The Late Great Planet Earth' as well.

GO SABRES!!!

Who cares why Cody's father did or didn't do, unless he plays for the Sabres it doesn't matter. As far as it being an issue for the Sabres going forward, there is no reason Darcy even needs to talk to the guy. If he becomes too persistent, don't take his calls, don't schedule a meeting with the man. Who is he to dictate anything.

I agree that if Gilles let himself get pushed around by a player they drafted and his father, that was his fault. If he chose to take it, it's on him. Either he was OK with it or he wasn't but he is the one that let it go one for 3-4 years.

i feel i should add/remind everyone: if hodgson was a problem child in van-city, it's likely because no one would play ministick hockey with him.

Ap_14XcCEAELiV5.jpg

from garth at hockey buzz:

If you were like me, checking your Twitter news feed on Easter Sunday, right around 5pm, you saw an epic picture that Nathan Gerbe had tweeted. The picture looked like a scene out of a youth travel hockey settung, with Cody Hodgson and Tyler Ennis battling it out in an intense game of mini-stick. Two grown NHLs, on their knees, smashing shots off one another with mini hockey sticks. I laughed out loud when I saw it. My first thought was, "Did Henrik and Daniel Sedin ever asked Cody Hodgson to play mini sticks at their house on Eatser Sunday".

I asked Hodgson the same question on locker clean out day.

Laughing he said, "No, it was a different situation there (in Vancouver). Here I'm one of the guys. You saw the picture, Enzo and Gerbs are hilarious. I remember when I was first traded here, and Gerbe asked me over immediately to play mini sticks, it was great. he made me feel welcome from the minute I got here. Thats what so great about this team. There are a lot of guys who care about one another".

Hodgson is a 22 year old NHLer, who sees more guys his age in the Buffalo room. He told me that the Vancouver room was made up of more established, older guys who have families away from the rink. Here in Buffalo, there's a nice blend of young guys who are starting out just like him, as well as older guys who he views as role models.

Speaking of established NHLers to pattern your life and career after, Hodgson told me that he's getting pumped to begin his second full off season training with "Scary Gary". Stanley cup winner, and future Hall Of Famer, Gary Roberts has his own NHL player training company located just north of the Greater Toronto Area. Roberts also works out of the world famous Bio Steel Gym in Toronto.

"Its an awesome experience because its not just on-ice coaching. Its more of a lifestyle coaching experience. They teach young players like me, James, Neal, Jeff Skinner, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Wojtek Wolski, and others about the importance of vitamins and minerals, and our daily diets. There's chiropractic, soft tissue work, and a lot of things that are essential for me and other to helps us through the dog days of the winter grind in the NHL. Its hockey, but its more than just pushing the weights around, you know? Its really helping me now. I went there for rehab a couple of Summers ago, then I spent the Summer there after my first NHL season. I'll take time off now, and then start there in May and go through until training camp. I really look forward to it because we work out off the ice, then we scrimmage with some of the best players in the world. They let us bring some friends along too, which is cool".

Hodgson told me that he plans on driving back and forth down the QEW from his off season home in Markham to Buffalo.

"I have a lot of friends here and I'm definitely going to be in touch with them and I'll come here to work out as well. Buffalo is a great town with excellent people. I really love it here".

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/Myers-Broken-Foot/6/43686

i feel i should add/remind everyone: if hodgson was a problem child in van-city, it's likely because no one would play ministick hockey with him.

Ap_14XcCEAELiV5.jpg

from garth at hockey buzz:

If you were like me, checking your Twitter news feed on Easter Sunday, right around 5pm, you saw an epic picture that Nathan Gerbe had tweeted. The picture looked like a scene out of a youth travel hockey settung, with Cody Hodgson and Tyler Ennis battling it out in an intense game of mini-stick. Two grown NHLs, on their knees, smashing shots off one another with mini hockey sticks. I laughed out loud when I saw it. My first thought was, "Did Henrik and Daniel Sedin ever asked Cody Hodgson to play mini sticks at their house on Eatser Sunday".

I asked Hodgson the same question on locker clean out day.

Laughing he said, "No, it was a different situation there (in Vancouver). Here I'm one of the guys. You saw the picture, Enzo and Gerbs are hilarious. I remember when I was first traded here, and Gerbe asked me over immediately to play mini sticks, it was great. he made me feel welcome from the minute I got here. Thats what so great about this team. There are a lot of guys who care about one another".

Hodgson is a 22 year old NHLer, who sees more guys his age in the Buffalo room. He told me that the Vancouver room was made up of more established, older guys who have families away from the rink. Here in Buffalo, there's a nice blend of young guys who are starting out just like him, as well as older guys who he views as role models.

Speaking of established NHLers to pattern your life and career after, Hodgson told me that he's getting pumped to begin his second full off season training with "Scary Gary". Stanley cup winner, and future Hall Of Famer, Gary Roberts has his own NHL player training company located just north of the Greater Toronto Area. Roberts also works out of the world famous Bio Steel Gym in Toronto.

"Its an awesome experience because its not just on-ice coaching. Its more of a lifestyle coaching experience. They teach young players like me, James, Neal, Jeff Skinner, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Wojtek Wolski, and others about the importance of vitamins and minerals, and our daily diets. There's chiropractic, soft tissue work, and a lot of things that are essential for me and other to helps us through the dog days of the winter grind in the NHL. Its hockey, but its more than just pushing the weights around, you know? Its really helping me now. I went there for rehab a couple of Summers ago, then I spent the Summer there after my first NHL season. I'll take time off now, and then start there in May and go through until training camp. I really look forward to it because we work out off the ice, then we scrimmage with some of the best players in the world. They let us bring some friends along too, which is cool".

Hodgson told me that he plans on driving back and forth down the QEW from his off season home in Markham to Buffalo.

"I have a lot of friends here and I'm definitely going to be in touch with them and I'll come here to work out as well. Buffalo is a great town with excellent people. I really love it here".

http://www.hockeybuz...en-Foot/6/43686

I can't believe that immature dweeb threw the Sedins and the entire Canuck team under the bus like that. Not to mention the entire city of Vancouver.

I can only hope his dad hires an indigenous Canadian to beat him senseless.

GO SABRES!!!

Edited by K-9

I can't believe that immature dweeb threw the Sedins and the entire Canuck team under the bus like that. Not to mention the entire city of Vancouver.

GO SABRES!!!

Let's just hope he doesn't call the cops.

this thread is making me so happy.

On many nights in Vancouver this year, Cody was parked on the 4th line although he had come through in some very big games for the Canucks. He seemed to play well in the big games.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to be playing 4th line minutes, while Kesler was clearly not himself and Mason Raymond was "just happy to be able to walk again" playing ahead of him.

I have zero issues if he's got an ego, and in fact I hope he does. As long as he's not a prikc to people then that's fine with me. I want a confident player who is young and believes he can be a difference maker.

Gillis getting ripped by many for the under bus throwing of Cody but that's not important. What's important is that Cody has another side to him and that's the "I'll show you Vancouver" side.

Edited by rickshaw

This debate all depends on what side of the fence your sitting on with management and this move. If you loved this move, your gonna brush off the comments by teh GM and say that they are just a guy trying to save face and fabricate something for the media to cling to. If your against the move, or not completly sold on it yet, your gonna believe that he is an immature problem child/lockerroom cancer who the Canucks couldn't wait to deal.

I really doubt that Gillis is making this stuff up and just trying to save face. You hear about it all the time that some players can be a hand full (and with some of the younger ones, its their parents that are a handful) and it gets to the point where they become too much of a distraction and its better to let them go. I don't get what this issue with hodgsons dad had to do with any of this, except that maybe he might be the type of person who is controling. But I think it was widely known that Hodgson saw the writing on the wall that he was a 3rd liner for the next few seasons (barring injury) due to the guys playing ahead of him and he wanted out. The Canucks had a valuable assett at the deadline and saw Buffalo was in need of this assett, and Buffalo had something that the Canucks wanted and might be willing to move. You can't always trade away your garbage and get a superstar in return, usually it takes something of value to get something of value in return. The Sabres felt they could give up what kassian could bring to the table cause they felt they needed what Hodgson could bring to the table more.

I also doubt that Regier would have any idea if Hodgson was a handful to deal with when he made the deal, i doubt private meetings/dealings between players and NHL GM's are spread over the league. Its possible that the Canucks dumped a possible cancer/headache on the Sabres. its also possible that his issues won't be issues here like they were in Vancouver and he could thrive here.

Having a father making moves for you isn't a first in sports, look at the NFL where Peyton & Eli Mannings dad Archie was dictating where Eli was gonna play and where he wasn't. Haven't heard that Archie has been a problem for the Giants GM since that issue

Perfect response.

That's what I'm talking about. Given past deadline snuckers...Moore's broken hand, Torres out of shape, Bernier out of shape......is it not fair to at least question if the research was done? It's fine to say "no big deal".....but after I presented the fact about Hodgson's father, the day that his former GM said he caused more problems than the entire team.....then to be told I am trolling or whatever.....no, it's a valid point. If someone isn't concerned or doesn't find it interesting, fine. If Justin Simpson was a potential stud QB in Green Bay, and OJ was forcing him to go away from team doctors, skip practice, and constantly harass the coaches for more playing time or to get a trade done......then he was traded to Buffalo.....what would the reaction be? It's pretty much the exact same thing.

Thanks for a thought out analysis.

Personally, I find just the fact a guy on a team of 20 who came within 1 goal of winning the Stanley Cup and who was a good player on a President's Trophy team....not my cup of tea if he thinks he's so special that he cares more about ice time on a crappy team than winning when slotted behind a perennial MVP candidate and one of the best 2 way centers in the game in Sedin and Kessler.

The point is, this is a highly relevant story that was brought forth at a year end press conference from a team who sadly disappointed yet bit the bullet and faced questions and gave answers, whether people like them or not. The Sabres denied the fans and the press the same "priviledge", so we are left like so many other times, to ask questions and form opinions on our own.

So how were the WGR interviews different? The fans themselves were able to ask those questions, and the team management was able to spin their answers just like they would if TBN, WGR, and other media staffers were asking them.

Whether it turns out to have been a good trade LT for Van-City remains to be seen, and in hindsight it is a bit of a head scratcher as to why Gillis wanted a rookie to be the additional toughness on the wing for THIS playoff run, but people here thought Zach would be the 2nd coming of Bertuzzi at a minimum; looks like Gillis got caught up in the 'killer' Kassian hype as well IF this move was made for this season's run.

Gilles picked up on a rumor on the intertubes that Lindy Ruff was coaching the tough out of Kassian, he figured he could turn him around. Of course.

Anyhow--- HNiC's Elliotte Friedman on the other potential young players Gillis referred to in addition to Kassian:

4. In the March 6 edition of this blog, I mentioned that Vancouver "targeted" a few players in a possible Cody Hodgson deal. Zack Kassian was one, obviously. I also noted Brandon Sutter, who the Carolina Hurricanes love, and made an educated guess at John Carlson (which appears to be true). Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday there were six players. According to a couple of sources, sounds like the fourth was Erik Gudbranson and the fifth Kyle Clifford. No. 6? Not sure.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/04/luongo-trade-talk-30-thoughts.html

Perfect response.

That's what I'm talking about. Given past deadline snuckers...Moore's broken hand, Torres out of shape, Bernier out of shape......is it not fair to at least question if the research was done? It's fine to say "no big deal".....but after I presented the fact about Hodgson's father, the day that his former GM said he caused more problems than the entire team.....then to be told I am trolling or whatever.....no, it's a valid point. If someone isn't concerned or doesn't find it interesting, fine. If Justin Simpson was a potential stud QB in Green Bay, and OJ was forcing him to go away from team doctors, skip practice, and constantly harass the coaches for more playing time or to get a trade done......then he was traded to Buffalo.....what would the reaction be? It's pretty much the exact same thing.

Thanks for a thought out analysis.

Personally, I find just the fact a guy on a team of 20 who came within 1 goal of winning the Stanley Cup and who was a good player on a President's Trophy team....not my cup of tea if he thinks he's so special that he cares more about ice time on a crappy team than winning when slotted behind a perennial MVP candidate and one of the best 2 way centers in the game in Sedin and Kessler.

But is that really a bad thing? This guy is young and IIRC has won a WJC gold medal and has garnered a ton of personnal hardware throughout his junior career. Don't these guys when they're young and get to the championship game (in any sport) expect to be back several times before their career is through? Him wanting to be the guy to lead the team, provided he's willing to put in the work to do it as TAS said, is a good thing.

And how did his wanting more ice time (and by extension taking ice time away from Kessler &/or Sedin) get translated to rather having it on a lousy team? From what I've read about him, he's had the ice time on some pretty good teams. Maybe he wants to win, but wants to be an important piece of the victory rather than just a filler?

Isn't a large part of the current Sabres' problem, guys like Derek Roy ARE leaders on this team? Hodgson seems, on the surface, to be the antithesis of what Roy appears to be.

But is that really a bad thing? This guy is young and IIRC has won a WJC gold medal and has garnered a ton of personnal hardware throughout his junior career. Don't these guys when they're young and get to the championship game (in any sport) expect to be back several times before their career is through? Him wanting to be the guy to lead the team, provided he's willing to put in the work to do it as TAS said, is a good thing.

And how did his wanting more ice time (and by extension taking ice time away from Kessler &/or Sedin) get translated to rather having it on a lousy team? From what I've read about him, he's had the ice time on some pretty good teams. Maybe he wants to win, but wants to be an important piece of the victory rather than just a filler?

Isn't a large part of the current Sabres' problem, guys like Derek Roy ARE leaders on this team? Hodgson seems, on the surface, to be the antithesis of what Roy appears to be.

good points.

And I agree that on the surface, he does seem to be the anithesis of what we all make Derek Roy out to be.