What are you currently reading?

darksabre

Reading the complete set of Sherlock Holmes stories/novels. My girlfriend's mom lent it to me.

I bought the paperback editions (two books total if I remember correctly) of these at one of the big chain bookstores a couple years ago. Very entertaining stories indeed.

I bought the paperback editions (two books total if I remember correctly) of these at one of the big chain bookstores a couple years ago. Very entertaining stories indeed.

She had the single compilation (the hard cover complete collection). The only issue I have is that the font is very small. I don't always wear my reading glasses like I should, but I am going to have to in order to read this lol.

I may be wrong on this, but is not the War of 1812 the only war the US lost, well I guess "tied" may be a better term. Over the years most Canadians view it as a Canadian victory, as the invading hords from the US did not capture any Canadian territory ... just yanging your chain ... :P .

Also, did not a battle during the war give rise to the lyrics of the US national anthem?

That's the war of 1812 in a nutshell. And our national anthem is a British drinking song.

That's the war of 1812 in a nutshell. And our national anthem is a British drinking song.

I thought that was what I heard the English huligans singing, while waving the Saint George's Cross, at English matches at the European Championship.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I thought that was what I heard the English huligans singing, while waving the Saint George's Cross, at English matches at the European Championship.

Yep. There's youtubers videos out there with the original words. Anyways, I never thought of it as a loss, since it was reasonable that the UK could have taken the colonies back. I suppose that's the best definition of a tie, both sides feel they won. Except here, where everyone thinks a tie is a loss. :-)

I'm finally committing the time to get some serious reading done. Having said that, here's what I'm working on:

(Mentioned this earlier in the thread) Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ by John Owen. (J.I. Packer's "Introductory Essay" is very strong in and of itself).

The Truth Behind the New Atheism by David Marshall (Written from a Christian apologetic, but even I can tell when someone does a horrible job trying to refute the likes of Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, and Dennett. Trying to finish it, but I certainly don't recommend it. He tries to argue empirically instead of presuppositionally, but it blows up in his face.)

The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women by John Knox (Written during the Scottish Reformation on top of the beginnings of the Protestant Reformation. This book has always been controversial!)

Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan (For someone who had no formal education unlike his peer John Owen, Dr. Owen actually enjoyed Bunyan's preaching.)

If you love dogs, Merle's Door is a MUST READ. Written by Ted Kerasote. This is the most moving book I have ever read in my life (and I'm an old geezer). In fact I've reread it three times now and I've never done that with any book before.

I'm currently reading One L, a story of life as a student in Harvard Law School by Scott Turow. It's very good so far. If you're old enough you may remember the film "The Paper Chase", which was later made into a TV series. It was based upon this book.

If you love dogs, Merle's Door is a MUST READ. Written by Ted Kerasote. This is the most moving book I have ever read in my life (and I'm an old geezer). In fact I've reread it three times now and I've never done that with any book before.

I'm currently reading One L, a story of life as a student in Harvard Law School by Scott Turow. It's very good so far. If you're old enough you may remember the film "The Paper Chase", which was later made into a TV series. It was based upon this book.

It is a somewhat, but not completely, accurate description of the first year of law school anywhere in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump ...

Just finished "Failed States" by Noam Chomsky, finally. Tough read and I had several start over moments and re-read moments throughout. I'm not sure who his target audience is, but it's not people like me. I think of myself as pretty intelligent. I graduated from college and went on to professional training. I am a professional accountant that is running his own practice. Maybe he is after the super intelligent PhD types, like our very own TrueBlue ... ;) . Now I like Chomsky, or at least I think I do, as pointed out he is hard to follow.

Starting "The Cellist of Sarajevo" by Canadian Steven Galloway. Picked it up in the Halifax airport while waiting to board Air Canada AC860 to Heathrow and planned to read it on that over-night flight. Never did and it ended up at the bottom of the pile. The story is historical fiction and chronicles the lives of three ordinary people struggling through the siege of Sarajevo during the Bosnian war. The title references Vedran Smajlović the cellist who played his cello for 22 straight days to hour the memory of 22 Sarajevians killed in a motar attach while lining up for bread. Vedran was very upset at the publication of the book and it's reference to him, although the account was historical in nature, it was fictional. Two famous photos of Vedran playing in the bombed out National Library, in 1992, are below.

post-3401-0-44309900-1341407326_thumb.jpg

post-3401-0-00895800-1341407340_thumb.jpg

This thread is long and I don't have the time to go back and thank whoever recommended, "The Devil in the White City." But thanks I just finished reading the book and it is a great book for a summer read. I have a history degree and also a fascination for serial killers and this book manages to combine two things that fascinate me. I just started reading, "Teacher Man." by Frank McCourt.

This thread is long and I don't have the time to go back and thank whoever recommended, "The Devil in the White City." But thanks I just finished reading the book and it is a great book for a summer read. I have a history degree and also a fascination for serial killers and this book manages to combine two things that fascinate me. I just started reading, "Teacher Man." by Frank McCourt.

Was me, and if Teacher Man is good, I want to know about it.

I tried reading Angela's Ashes a few years ago but I found it so incredibly boring and depressing to read that I couldn't finish it.

Was me, and if Teacher Man is good, I want to know about it.

Thank you for the recommendation man......... :flirt:

I just finished, "Teacher Man." I liked the book a lot, as a teacher I could identify with a lot of what he had to say in the book. The book is not depressing in the least and it is a pretty quick read. I also think that because everyone spends so much time in a classroom in their lifetime that everyone can identify with McCourt.

By the way I read the book in two days, but thats what happens to me in the summer, I am reading ravenous in the summer and usually read 5 or 6 books in the summer and then don't usually pick up another book until late november.

Edited by DR HOLLIDAY

Currently knee-deep in "The Amateur" by Edward Klein, a compelling & well-researched description of the follies of our current President. The title says it all & I don't need to go much further to describe it, as the title is very apropos & concise.

I am sure I will get some challenging responses from certain members of this board; I just posted my honest answer which the OP asked and am leaving it at that.

Currently knee-deep in "The Amateur" by Edward Klein, a compelling & well-researched description of the follies of our current President. The title says it all & I don't need to go much further to describe it, as the title is very apropos & concise.

I am sure I will get some challenging responses from certain members of this board; I just posted my honest answer which the OP asked and am leaving it at that.

You very obviously invited whatever ###### you get with the word "follies."

Anyway. I'm reading Erik Larsson's (The Devil in the White City) latest, which is a chronicle of the US ambassador to Germany in Hitler's early days. Apparently, his daughter had quite the dating life--and so far, one date with Hitler. Interesting. Amazing that this doesn't seem to be common knowledge. Larsson really does write nonfiction very, very well, but I liked Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck (juxtaposing a murder suspect chase against the development of radio that assisted said chase) much better. I like the way he weaves two stories together; he's not doing that in his latest one.

Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery is getting so slow in the middle that I cannot pick it up.

I need some good literary fiction on deck! Help!

Edited by Eleven

You very obviously invited whatever ###### you get with the word "follies."

Anyway. I'm reading Erik Larsson's (The Devil in the White City) latest, which is a chronicle of the US ambassador to Germany in Hitler's early days. Apparently, his daughter had quite the dating life--and so far, one date with Hitler. Interesting. Amazing that this doesn't seem to be common knowledge. Larsson really does write nonfiction very, very well, but I liked Devil in the White City and Thunderstruck (juxtaposing a murder suspect chase against the development of radio that assisted said chase) much better. I like the way he weaves two stories together; he's not doing that in his latest one.

Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery is getting so slow in the middle that I cannot pick it up.

I need some good literary fiction on deck! Help!

Hey man, give this book a try, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon."

Its written from the viewpoint of an autistic child and the author really does a great job of letting you see the world through his eyes.

Edited by DR HOLLIDAY

Hey man, give this book a try, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time" by Mark Haddon."

Its written from the viewpoint of an autistic child and the author really does a great job of letting you see the world through his eyes.

I've read it. It's a great book.

Splitting time between 1981-1983 Honda GL500 Silverwing Service Manual, 2004 BMW R1150R Service Manual, Larry's Guide to Rebuilding CX/GL Carburetors, and Mark Twain's "Conversation, as it was the Social Fireside, in the Time of the Tudors" (aka "1601"). I'm having a tough time keeping up with the Twain, the others are page-turners.

Damn, lol. How about "A Prayer for Owen Meany." by John Irving.

I like Irving but I need something with some pep. A good beach/poolside book. Something like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (but I've read all of those, too).

Splitting time between 1981-1983 Honda GL500 Silverwing Service Manual, 2004 BMW R1150R Service Manual, Larry's Guide to Rebuilding CX/GL Carburetors, and Mark Twain's "Conversation, as it was the Social Fireside, in the Time of the Tudors" (aka "1601"). I'm having a tough time keeping up with the Twain, the others are page-turners.

Ok this is funny to me for some reason. On my iPhone, during dead time, I'm reading Twain's Innocents Abroad (amazing how many free electronic books there are out there) and it is absolutely freaking hilarious.

I like Irving but I need something with some pep. A good beach/poolside book. Something like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (but I've read all of those, too).

Ok this is funny to me for some reason. On my iPhone, during dead time, I'm reading Twain's Innocents Abroad (amazing how many free electronic books there are out there) and it is absolutely freaking hilarious.

I've never really looked, but where do you find free books in an iphone readable format?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.