Beer league beer ad

nobody

Bud is PISS water. There is no argument. Plus, the preservatives they put in that piss water gives you headaches.

Education time...

There are NO preservatives in Budweiser that aren't in every other beer, it's completely unnecessary, especially in cans and kegs. Beer has hops which is a natural preservative.

Budweiser contains rice which is used as an adjunct to lower the cost and lighten the body. Rice, when fermented, does create a slightly different alcohol and some people will have a negative reaction to that.

The headaches most commonly associated with beer, other than hangovers, are those caused by drinking draft beer. This is not caused by the beer at all but by the establishment not cleaning its beer lines. Overtime deposits, called "beer stone", will begin to build up in the lines. Beer stone is Calcium Oxalate and as it flakes off into the beer will enter what you are drinking.

Other common problems are mold in the faucets and shanks, bacteria from improperly maintained seals, etc. and improper storage of beer.

None of these are the fault of the beer, just the fault of the server or if you don't like rice a reaction to that fermentable.

Budweiser is not piss water. It's highly carbonated, low hopped, light bodied beer. It was designed to appeal to the masses, which it does. It's a beer designed to be consumed at very cold temperatures and does not stand up to warmer temperatures. it's true that they do shortcut the natural fermentation and aging process that a lager would go through and that does decrease it's quality relative to other adjunct lagers which I have had but if you are looking for large market share you don't let your beer age in tanks for 8-12 weeks.

And no.. I won't drink Budweiser, I despise the beer.

Oh... and I like the ad.

Budweiser is not piss water. It's highly carbonated, low hopped, light bodied beer. It was designed to appeal to the masses, which it does. It's a beer designed to be consumed at very cold temperatures and does not stand up to warmer temperatures. it's true that they do shortcut the natural fermentation and aging process that a lager would go through and that does decrease it's quality relative to other adjunct lagers which I have had but if you are looking for large market share you don't let your beer age in tanks for 8-12 weeks.

So you make the 1st claim, and then proceed to prove why it actually is. Got it.

Education time...

There are NO preservatives in Budweiser that aren't in every other beer, it's completely unnecessary, especially in cans and kegs. Beer has hops which is a natural preservative.

Budweiser contains rice which is used as an adjunct to lower the cost and lighten the body. Rice, when fermented, does create a slightly different alcohol and some people will have a negative reaction to that.

The headaches most commonly associated with beer, other than hangovers, are those caused by drinking draft beer. This is not caused by the beer at all but by the establishment not cleaning its beer lines. Overtime deposits, called "beer stone", will begin to build up in the lines. Beer stone is Calcium Oxalate and as it flakes off into the beer will enter what you are drinking.

Other common problems are mold in the faucets and shanks, bacteria from improperly maintained seals, etc. and improper storage of beer.

None of these are the fault of the beer, just the fault of the server or if you don't like rice a reaction to that fermentable.

Oh... and I like the ad.

hehe,.. you said shank.

So you make the 1st claim, and then proceed to prove why it actually is. Got it.

I think he actually thought you were being literal when you said it was piss water. That's the only way that post makes sense.

The only way to truly disproove SDS' claim is a taste test. I'll supply the piss.

Are you game LTS?

LTS and SDS were using the same avatar - is LTS his long lost brother or something?

I love Budweiser's ads. Their beer is more of a cheap summer BBQ beer for me, and that's about it. I don't mind it.

My best friend worked for Anheiser Busch in Baldwinsville for 6 months a few years back for a co-op. SHe used to bring home "safety beer" and even got a case for her birthday. We all LOVED Bud products for those 6 months...because nothing is ever as good as free beer when you're a poor college kid :D

Education time...

Oh... and I like the ad.

A couple misconception here.

1. The alcohol produced from rice is EXACTLY the same as the alcohol produced from barley, wheat, potatoes, corn, etc. Rice is nothing more than a source of starch. That starch is converted into simple sugars like maltose through the use of amylase enzymes. The same exact thing happens whith barley. The simple sugars are metabolized by yeast and the yeast excrete ehanol. The yeast doesn't care where the sugars came from as they have the exact same molecular structure. Starch is starch, sugar is sugar, and fermented sugar becomes ethanol. So rice being used does not result in anyone reacting differently to it unless they have a rice alergy (some of the material doesn't get converted to sugars and do pass into the finished beer).

2. Draft beer = hangovers is an urban legend that has been well debunked. Two things cause hangovers. The human body metabolizing ethanol and dehydration.

My work is done here.

1. The alcohol produced from rice is EXACTLY the same as the alcohol produced from barley, wheat, potatoes, corn, etc. Rice is nothing more than a source of starch. That starch is converted into simple sugars like maltose through the use of amylase enzymes. The same exact thing happens whith barley. The simple sugars are metabolized by yeast and the yeast excrete ehanol. The yeast doesn't care where the sugars came from as they have the exact same molecular structure. Starch is starch, sugar is sugar, and fermented sugar becomes ethanol. So rice being used does not result in anyone reacting differently to it unless they have a rice alergy (some of the material doesn't get converted to sugars and do pass into the finished beer).

2. Draft beer = hangovers is an urban legend that has been well debunked. Two things cause hangovers. The human body metabolizing ethanol and dehydration.

My work is done here.

BOOM! Roasted...

A couple misconception here. 1. The alcohol produced from rice is EXACTLY the same as the alcohol produced from barley, wheat, potatoes, corn, etc. Rice is nothing more than a source of starch. That starch is converted into simple sugars like maltose through the use of amylase enzymes. The same exact thing happens whith barley. The simple sugars are metabolized by yeast and the yeast excrete ehanol. The yeast doesn't care where the sugars came from as they have the exact same molecular structure. Starch is starch, sugar is sugar, and fermented sugar becomes ethanol. So rice being used does not result in anyone reacting differently to it unless they have a rice alergy (some of the material doesn't get converted to sugars and do pass into the finished beer).

You can get fusel alcohols from uncontrolled high fermentation temps or underpitching your yeast starter. From personal experience I can attest that drinking these flawed beers will cause one hell of a hangover. Admittedly you are far more likely to encounter this problem in beers made on a homebrew or small microbrew scale than you ever would from one of the big boys. Actually if Anheuser -Busch is to be respected for anything, it is for it's quality control in terms of batch to batch reproducibility.

You can get fusel alcohols from uncontrolled high fermentation temps or underpitching your yeast starter. From personal experience I can attest that drinking these flawed beers will cause one hell of a hangover. Admittedly you are far more likely to encounter this problem in beers made on a homebrew or small microbrew scale than you ever would from one of the big boys. Actually if Anheuser -Busch is to be respected for anything, it is for it's quality control in terms of batch to batch reproducibility.

That's like saying Ralph Wilson should be respected...

My work is done here.

I did four years of EXTENSIVE research at a fine research institution on this very topic. When I say extensive research I mean EXTENSIVE. I'm talking 4 and 5, sometimes even six days a week. I spent evening after evening researching this topic, almost always losing track of time and researchinging into the wee hours of the morning. Sometimes I researched alone, sometimes I researched with friends. Very often, I was able to find pretty co-eds who were more than happy to help me with my research. There were some nights that I was so desperate for someone to help me with my research that the co-eds weren't that pretty. I think I even let a townie help me with my research one time. But I digress...

After years and years of research, I concluded draft beer did indeed give me worse hangovers than bottled beer. You say its been debunked? My research says otherwise. And I doubt this person's sample size is as large as mine.

Yeah, I know all that. I was keeping it in the context of Budweiser, a lager fermented at relatively low temps and 5%ABV. Not enough fusel content to note in that scenario.

I did four years of EXTENSIVE research at a fine research institution on this very topic. When I say extensive research I mean EXTENSIVE. I'm talking 4 and 5, sometimes even six days a week. I spent evening after evening researching this topic, almost always losing track of time and researchinging into the wee hours of the morning. Sometimes I researched alone, sometimes I researched with friends. Very often, I was able to find pretty co-eds who were more than happy to help me with my research. There were some nights that I was so desperate for someone to help me with my research that the co-eds weren't that pretty. I think I even let a townie help me with my research one time. But I digress...

After years and years of research, I concluded draft beer did indeed give me worse hangovers than bottled beer. You say its been debunked? My research says otherwise. And I doubt this person's sample size is as large as mine.

You did it wrong. :P

I think I have an allergy to Yuenling Lager. I can drink a half dozen of most beers, but if I have three of those I feel like someone hit me in the head with shovel from a Spaten bottle the next day. I'm not the only one to make that observation. I don't know what the explanation is, but there seems to be a correlation.

No, you see the fact that a lager tastes like ###### at higher temperatures has nothing to do with Budweiser. It has everything to do with a lager and the fact that it is brewed, fermented, and maintained at cold temperatures. It's not a beer designed to be consumed at warmer temperatures. Take your favorite lager of any type and drink it warm... it will taste like crap.

One can argue that drinking an ale at higher temperatures also tastes like crap but an ale is designed to be consumed at different temps than lagers.

My work is done here.

Well, I didn't say draft beer caused hangovers. I said the calcium oxalate (beer stone) can build up in improperly maintained draft lines and when ingested can cause headaches. You don't get that in a bottle and I those headaches usually occur before you are done drinking. Dehydration definitely causes hangovers.

Perhaps I should not have said different types of alcohol but I should have said that fermentables can result in different types of liquids with compounds made of alcohol and other components. Fermenting rice and fermenting barley do not end up in the same liquid. There are differences.

No, you see the fact that a lager tastes like ###### at higher temperatures has nothing to do with Budweiser. It has everything to do with a lager and the fact that it is brewed, fermented, and maintained at cold temperatures. It's not a beer designed to be consumed at warmer temperatures. Take your favorite lager of any type and drink it warm... it will taste like crap.

One can argue that drinking an ale at higher temperatures also tastes like crap but an ale is designed to be consumed at different temps than lagers.

Well, I didn't say draft beer caused hangovers. I said the calcium oxalate (beer stone) can build up in improperly maintained draft lines and when ingested can cause headaches. You don't get that in a bottle and I those headaches usually occur before you are done drinking. Dehydration definitely causes hangovers.

Perhaps I should not have said different types of alcohol but I should have said that fermentables can result in different types of liquids with compounds made of alcohol and other components. Fermenting rice and fermenting barley do not end up in the same liquid. There are differences.

Calcium oxalate is the stuff of kidney stones. You'll have to provide some sort of link that links it to beer related headaches, otherwise I;m not buying it,

As for the differences between barley and rice when fermented, the science does not back your asserttion. Again, link it.

Why again are you arguing about the temperature of Bud? Is it because piss is normally warm?

There is no temperature that makes Bud taste good. And you listed a variety of reasons why it doesn't. Thanks.

Calcium oxalate is the stuff of kidney stones. You'll have to provide some sort of link that links it to beer related headaches, otherwise I;m not buying it,

As for the differences between barley and rice when fermented, the science does not back your asserttion. Again, link it.

Calcium Oxalate (beer stone) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_oxalate , in addition an unclean beer line will most likely also harbor bacteria that will aid in the body's reaction. Keep in mind I am not talking so much the headache the next morning. Most unclean beer lines will results in headaches fairly quickly. Not everyone will react in the same way either... I'll keep looking through other reference texts I have on brewing, etc. I'm writing this in the middle of supposedly prepping my house for an open house in 50 minutes... so if I don't stop soon I will be slaughtered by my wife at which point I won't be able to continue the conversation!

Fermenting rice creates a different liquid than fermenting barley. Just as roasting barley to different levels creates different liquids. The roast of the barley will impart varying flavors and compounds into the liquid. Yes, it's ethanol (although a high fermentation can get you fusel alcohols as well and a lower fermentation temperature can inhibit the creation of certain compounds as well). Certainly it also depends on the yeast being used. If you ferment rice and you ferment barley you will not end up with the same end product. It's no different then brewing coffee from Kenya or South America. The beans have certain characteristics that impart different compounds into the resulting liquid.

Why again are you arguing about the temperature of Bud? Is it because piss is normally warm?

There is no temperature that makes Bud taste good. And you listed a variety of reasons why it doesn't. Thanks.

Taste is subjective. My son hates tomatoes but that doesn't make them taste bad. However, the beer is not designed to be served at warmer temperatures. Similarly Guinness is not designed to be served at 35 degrees either, it tastes pretty miserable there. It's like eating broccoli that's been cooked and allowed to cool, doesn't taste as good. Better yet, brew some coffee and allow it to cool, the bittering compounds are much more noticeable which is why pouring hot brewed coffee over ice is nowhere near as tasty as cold brewing the coffee. You are taking the proteins through a temperature break which leads to those nasty flavors.

I'm not going to argue that you believe Budweiser tastes like piss, I don't know what piss tastes like. I know i don't like Budweiser, and i know I don't particularly care for their process of brewing as I believe it creates in inferior beer but I'm not going to argue against people who like it. Arguing tastes in beer is like arguing tastes in music. It's pointless. Britney Spears was successful and lots of people liked her music but from a more technical musical perspective the songs were utter crap.

Calcium Oxalate (beer stone) - http://en.wikipedia....Calcium_oxalate , in addition an unclean beer line will most likely also harbor bacteria that will aid in the body's reaction. Keep in mind I am not talking so much the headache the next morning. Most unclean beer lines will results in headaches fairly quickly. Not everyone will react in the same way either... I'll keep looking through other reference texts I have on brewing, etc. I'm writing this in the middle of supposedly prepping my house for an open house in 50 minutes... so if I don't stop soon I will be slaughtered by my wife at which point I won't be able to continue the conversation!

Fermenting rice creates a different liquid than fermenting barley. Just as roasting barley to different levels creates different liquids. The roast of the barley will impart varying flavors and compounds into the liquid. Yes, it's ethanol (although a high fermentation can get you fusel alcohols as well and a lower fermentation temperature can inhibit the creation of certain compounds as well). Certainly it also depends on the yeast being used. If you ferment rice and you ferment barley you will not end up with the same end product. It's no different then brewing coffee from Kenya or South America. The beans have certain characteristics that impart different compounds into the resulting liquid.

Now we are getting somewhere. We were likely talking past each other earlier.

I think you'll find that calcium oxylate is pretty hard to come by in most beer lines, simply because most mass produced beers are highly filtered. That's not to say it doesn't exsist in beer or can't build up, as it certainly can, especially when unfiltered or lightly filtered beers are served on tap, like micros and certain German/Belgian styles. It is interesting to note that most micro brews have a reputation as being less "hangover likely" beers when they are the most likely to be beer stone producers in lines. There is alot of speculation as to why that is but none of it is directly supported with any science worthy of peer review that I am aware of. Also, I am not aware of any studies linking unclean lines (bacteria, etc) to producing headaches. Alot of the bacteria that forms on unclean lines are of the same family of bacteria that are purposely used in the fermentation of many Belgian styles of beer.

Fermenting rice vs fermenting barley is another area where we may be talking past each other. The ethanol is certainly the same but the ethanol only makes up 4-10% of the resulting solution, so yes, the 90-96% "other stuff" can be rather different. Obviously I was reacting to your first assertion that the alcohol was different. I know that you have since modified that thought.

Hopefully your open house went well.

Drank a lot of really good beer on tap in my time and never had a headache the next morning. If the first beer tastes like crap I'll try something different. With the popularity of micro breweries there's never a shortage of good beers to taste. Thats why I stay away from stuff like Bud and others thats mostly produced for the masses or for funnelling parties at frat houses. And I have to say I agree with LTS on arguing about taste in beer and in music. To each his own.

Now we are getting somewhere. We were likely talking past each other earlier.

I think you'll find that calcium oxylate is pretty hard to come by in most beer lines, simply because most mass produced beers are highly filtered. That's not to say it doesn't exsist in beer or can't build up, as it certainly can, especially when unfiltered or lightly filtered beers are served on tap, like micros and certain German/Belgian styles. It is interesting to note that most micro brews have a reputation as being less "hangover likely" beers when they are the most likely to be beer stone producers in lines. There is alot of speculation as to why that is but none of it is directly supported with any science worthy of peer review that I am aware of. Also, I am not aware of any studies linking unclean lines (bacteria, etc) to producing headaches. Alot of the bacteria that forms on unclean lines are of the same family of bacteria that are purposely used in the fermentation of many Belgian styles of beer.

Fermenting rice vs fermenting barley is another area where we may be talking past each other. The ethanol is certainly the same but the ethanol only makes up 4-10% of the resulting solution, so yes, the 90-96% "other stuff" can be rather different. Obviously I was reacting to your first assertion that the alcohol was different. I know that you have since modified that thought.

Hopefully your open house went well.

Not as well as I would have hoped.. the new house I have my contingent offer on would give me a sweet all year round brewing room too.. damn.

It's true that the highly filtered beers would have somewhat of a harder time building up the beer stone but likewise most dives don't clean their lines once a year. That's a lot of stagnant beer in the lines that allows every little bit to build up. The taste impact is even greater of course. I know I can tell when my 3 tap lines need to be cleaned.. and since it's all unfiltered beer that's quite often...

The bacteria I am referring to is actually more from spoiled beer, etc. on the rubber seals. It's quite a bit different than lactobacillus or brettanomyces which is commonly used to sour beers, etc. It's just a standard unclean condition and unhealthy.

Let's just agree to drink good beer from places that serve good beer.

Archived