GDT: Sabres at Senators 12/20/11 7:30 PM

spndnchz

Numbers don't tell the whole story. Despite what appears to be good hockey on the stats sheet, I find his mistakes come at crucial times and that the plays he doesn't make hurt the team more than the plays he does. It's not a feeling I can explain away with stats. It's a quality judgment. I simply do not like the hockey that he plays.

Huh?

Huh?

Nevermind, bolding it helped me read it correctly. That sentence mixed up my brain

Numbers don't tell the whole story. Despite what appears to be good hockey on the stats sheet, I find his mistakes come at crucial times and that the plays he doesn't make hurt the team more than the plays he does. It's not a feeling I can explain away with stats. It's a quality judgment. I simply do not like the hockey that he plays.

1) I agree that his turnovers wouldn't be as hurtful if he wasn't on the blue line

2) I wholeheartedly agree with this post. It's tough to explain, but everytime he is on the ice, I feel as if he is a major liability because he will either pass to the other team when he should've shot or held the puck, or he'll just blindly pass to get out of pressure...

i'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the two foligno brothers are going to be playing against each other for the first time as NHL contenders. unless i'm missing something, this is is the first game that nick and marcus will match up against each other. to me, that's a pretty interesting sub-plot to the game.

with mike foligno being let go by anaheim last month, i wonder if there's any discussion about bringing him on board the sabres organization in some capacity.

i'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the two foligno brothers are going to be playing against each other for the first time as NHL contenders. unless i'm missing something, this is is the first game that nick and marcus will match up against each other. to me, that's a pretty interesting sub-plot to the game.

with mike foligno being let go by anaheim last month, i wonder if there's any discussion about bringing him on board the sabres organization in some capacity.

I'm pretty excited to see the Foligno brothers against each other. and it will DEFINITELY be an interesting sub-plot.

Is there hope of a brother on brother fight like when the Primeaus tussled many moons ago? That was pretty funny.

Gragnani seems to be a popular whipping boy. While I don't feel one way or the other about him, I would like to hear his critics explain the fact that he currently leads the team in plus-minus by a healthy margin.

+/- is not a good stat to judge how well or bad a player is playing. You just have to watch the games to see that he is not playing well.

Is there hope of a brother on brother fight like when the Primeaus tussled many moons ago? That was pretty funny.

I recall that Primeau vs Primeau fight to be a sad, sad sight. Primeau the Younger was doing all he could against Primeau the Elder and Elder was just toying with him, trying very hard not to have to actually hit him.

I'd rather see Foligno the Younger tussle with someone else on that squad than see Primeau vs Primeau all over again.

agreed. brother vs. brother is never a pretty thing to witness. that primeau fight was ... ugh. i'd hate to see the foligno brother go at it. what i think would be awesome is if one of them started fighting, and then the brother jumped in and started pummeling the guy that was beating on the sibling. cuz, you know ... family first. except it's hockey, and they're getting paid to play another team--not kick the crap out of their own team.

so i guess the best case scenario would be no fighting for either of them? maybe?

I recall that Primeau vs Primeau fight to be a sad, sad sight. Primeau the Younger was doing all he could against Primeau the Elder and Elder was just toying with him, trying very hard not to have to actually hit him.

I'd rather see Foligno the Younger tussle with someone else on that squad than see Primeau vs Primeau all over again.

I recall it as very funny. The whole fight seemed like it happened out of accident more than anything else like something they felt they both had to go through with though they really didn't want to. In the end a fight not much worse than the bust ups that happens between brothers every single day. The best part of it was that Keith had to call his mom after the game to apologize for fighting with his brother.

Gragnani seems to be a popular whipping boy. While I don't feel one way or the other about him, I would like to hear his critics explain the fact that he currently leads the team in plus-minus by a healthy margin.

You have to be careful when looking at purely quantitative analysis. While he does lead the team in +/-, it's important to look at it qualitatively as well.

Someone posted a link earlier showing that most of MAG's playing time has come against the third liners of the other team, as well as powerplay time. By playing his pairing against the weakest opposition, you get a lower chance of being scored on and a higher chance of scoring compared to highly skilled opponents. It is the same argument as when Vanek was +47 a few years back playing on the third line of a stacked sabres team.

When MAG is getting equal playing time as AHL call-ups (which includes his added PP time) that shows that he does not have the confidence of LR to play in all situations.

Nick has been banged up the last few games, so I wonder if his play will be affected.

Hopefully he doesn't get injured tonight adding to the cap casualties of AHL players being hurt at the NHL level and being unable to be sent down...

You have to be careful when looking at purely quantitative analysis. While he does lead the team in +/-, it's important to look at it qualitatively as well.

Someone posted a link earlier showing that most of MAG's playing time has come against the third liners of the other team, as well as powerplay time. By playing his pairing against the weakest opposition, you get a lower chance of being scored on and a higher chance of scoring compared to highly skilled opponents. It is the same argument as when Vanek was +47 a few years back playing on the third line of a stacked sabres team.

When MAG is getting equal playing time as AHL call-ups (which includes his added PP time) that shows that he does not have the confidence of LR to play in all situations.

Hopefully he doesn't get injured tonight adding to the cap casualties of AHL players being hurt at the NHL level and being unable to be sent down...

Nick = Ottawa; Marcus = Buffalo

Mike is in Ottawa to watch the kids tonight. I'm sure Mrs. Foligno will be looking down from upstairs as well. :angel:

Archived